    Nothing works. I networked my other pc to this one a while back, but I'm the
    only user (if that helps).
    Linda

    Linda Barr, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Linda Barr

    Boomer Guest

    Linda Barr, <> wrote:

    > I need to defragment, but I get an error message saying access
    > denied because I'm not authorized to use it. The same error
    > message occurs in all my administrative tools. I'm using XP, my
    > name is listed as the admin., and I've even tried logging on
    > using a password (wasn't using one before). Nothing works. I
    > networked my other pc to this one a while back, but I'm the only
    > user (if that helps). Linda

    Would these be of help?

    MS KB - 308418
    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308418
    MS KB - 308419
    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files
    and Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

    Boomer, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Linda Barr

    S.A. Guest

    "Linda Barr" <> wrote in message
    > I need to defragment, but I get an error message saying access denied
    > because I'm not authorized to use it. The same error message occurs in all
    > my administrative tools. I'm using XP, my name is listed as the admin.,

    and
    > I've even tried logging on using a password (wasn't using one before).
    > Nothing works. I networked my other pc to this one a while back, but I'm

    the
    > only user (if that helps).
    > Linda

    Start, Control Panel, User Accounts, Change Account, Click on Computer
    Administrator, then pick Change Account type, select Computer Administrator
    and change account type. You can get rid of the logon password while you're
    in there. Restart.

    S.A., Oct 22, 2003
  4. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    The group "everyone" was listed on all my admin accts. Just to cover all
    bases I added my name and clicked on "full function" to all, but I still
    can't access anything. Was going to try disabling "simple sharing" but it's
    not allowed in XP Home Ed.

    Linda Barr, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Linda Barr

    me Guest

    login in as administrator not your self !

    also check permisions on the drive, is it shared on the network ?

    me, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    My log-in shows :
    Linda
    computer administrator
    What's it supposed to show?

    Linda Barr, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Linda Barr

    Shep© Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:48:16 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Linda Barr"
    <> wrote :

    >My log-in shows :
    >Linda
    >computer administrator
    >What's it supposed to show?

    It may be a remnant of the Swen worm,
    http://www.dougknox.com/security/index.htm
    http://www.bullguard.com/antivirus/vit_swen_a.aspx
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in gmx for email

    Shep©, Oct 22, 2003
  8. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Nah, wasn't a virus either. Thanks anyway, tho, to all who gave suggestions.
    I looked at the settings on my other computer and found them to be set up
    exactly the same way as this one, but on that one I AM able to access admin.
    functions just fine. So I just don't get it.
    Linda

    Linda Barr, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Linda Barr

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:49:53 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    <> wrote :

    >Nah, wasn't a virus either. Thanks anyway, tho, to all who gave suggestions.
    >I looked at the settings on my other computer and found them to be set up
    >exactly the same way as this one, but on that one I AM able to access admin.
    >functions just fine. So I just don't get it.
    >Linda

    did none of these help re-enable options?

    Shep©, Oct 23, 2003
  10. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Shep,
    What an idiot I am--clicked on the bottom link and totally forgot about the
    top one when I was done. Will check it out and get back to you.

    Linda Barr, Oct 23, 2003
  11. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Shep,
    I wasn't having problems with any of those areas so I left them alone.
    However, I "did" notice an XP section listed that may have other options. Do
    you have a link for it?
    Linda

    Linda Barr, Oct 23, 2003
  12. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Shep,
    You'll really have to excuse me for being this stupid--I've been sick all
    week, it's late for me, and apparently I have no brain function left
    whatsoever--forget the link. I've already accessed the site and will take it
    from there. Will let you know if it helps.

    Linda Barr, Oct 23, 2003
  13. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Shep,
    The only two entries that might have helped this problem were already given
    to me by Boomer. I used them but neither fixed it. However, there was one
    fix for another problem I'm having, so I still thank you very much.
    Linda

    ?

    Linda Barr, Oct 23, 2003
  14. Linda Barr

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:48:31 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    <> wrote :

    >Shep,
    >The only two entries that might have helped this problem were already given
    >to me by Boomer. I used them but neither fixed it. However, there was one
    >fix for another problem I'm having, so I still thank you very much.
    >Linda

    These may help,
    http://tinyurl.com/s3ou

    :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in gmx for email

    Shep©, Oct 23, 2003
  15. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    You know, Shep--I'm really getting frustrated with this problem. Everything
    "seems" to be set okay: I'm the administrator, full control is set up on
    my user acct. for every file I'm trying to access, there are no password
    conflicts, I have no viruses, and the second pc I have networked to this one
    allows me to access anything I want. I can do anything I want (as usual)
    except to access the admin. tools and disk defragment. I've tried every
    hint/tweak you have sent me and any others I could find, but I'm still shut
    out. I went through a whole slew of messages on the one you sent (Google)
    and tried a bunch of others. According to everything pertinent in there, all
    my settings are correct also. Do you think the Microsoft site people
    could/would help out any? My warranty expired a few months ago, so Gateway
    is out.
    Linda

    Linda Barr, Oct 23, 2003
  16. Linda Barr

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:58:41 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    <> wrote :

    >You know, Shep--I'm really getting frustrated with this problem. Everything
    >"seems" to be set okay: I'm the administrator, full control is set up on
    >my user acct. for every file I'm trying to access, there are no password
    >conflicts, I have no viruses, and the second pc I have networked to this one
    >allows me to access anything I want. I can do anything I want (as usual)
    >except to access the admin. tools and disk defragment. I've tried every
    >hint/tweak you have sent me and any others I could find, but I'm still shut
    >out. I went through a whole slew of messages on the one you sent (Google)
    >and tried a bunch of others. According to everything pertinent in there, all
    >my settings are correct also. Do you think the Microsoft site people
    >could/would help out any? My warranty expired a few months ago, so Gateway
    >is out.
    >Linda

    It's annoying me now as well<grin>.
    What about a repair,
    Might cure it :)

    Shep©, Oct 24, 2003
  17. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Okay, I give up. Nothing there either. However, the other fixes I found and
    used (the OE fix because I had to keep entering my password, and a download
    that let me see the security tabs w/out having to go into safe mode) didn't
    do so well. "They" seemed to work great, but then I started getting a weird
    error message that "A device attached to the system is not functioning." I
    haven't installed anything, so went to investigate. That's when I found I
    was locked out of my device manager, too. I went back to the site (Doug's),
    looked at the fix and download and read a warning stating that "adjusting
    permissions can lock even the admin. out." Anyway, I said to hell with it
    and restored back to yesterday's settings. But evidently it didn't matter,
    because here I still sit with no admin. tools, no device manager, no disk
    defrag. I even thought about reinstalling XP, but won't that mean losing all
    my security patches and stuff?
    Linda

    Linda Barr, Oct 24, 2003
  18. Linda Barr

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:36:56 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    <> wrote :

    >Okay, I give up. Nothing there either. However, the other fixes I found and
    >used (the OE fix because I had to keep entering my password, and a download
    >that let me see the security tabs w/out having to go into safe mode) didn't
    >do so well. "They" seemed to work great, but then I started getting a weird
    >error message that "A device attached to the system is not functioning." I
    >haven't installed anything, so went to investigate. That's when I found I
    >was locked out of my device manager, too. I went back to the site (Doug's),
    >looked at the fix and download and read a warning stating that "adjusting
    >permissions can lock even the admin. out." Anyway, I said to hell with it
    >and restored back to yesterday's settings. But evidently it didn't matter,
    >because here I still sit with no admin. tools, no device manager, no disk
    >defrag. I even thought about reinstalling XP, but won't that mean losing all
    >my security patches and stuff?
    >Linda

    AFAIK not if you take the repair option or have you tried that?
    email is valid :)

    Shep©, Oct 24, 2003
  19. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Not yet, but think I will now. Sure can't hurt... Will let ya know.

    Linda Barr, Oct 24, 2003