Can't access 1 computer in home network of 4

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?YnJlejcxNw==?=, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. I've read many posts and tried many configurations, but am still having
    difficulty with my home network. I will try and give all necessary
    information:

    3 desktops, 1 laptop
    desktops all running XP Home, SP2
    laptop running XP Pro, SP2
    linksys wireless router connected to BASEMENT desktop via ethernet cable
    2 other desktops(BEDROOM, DEN) using USB wireless adapters
    laptop using wireless card
    printers connected to all 3 desktops are set to be shared

    My problem seems comman - sharing internet access runs smoothly, but sharing
    of printers and files has a roadblock. The laptop can share its files to all
    computers on the network and can print to BEDROOM and DEN printers. BEDROOM
    and DEN pcs can share files to all on the network and can print to each
    others printers. BASEMENT can print to printers on other 2 pcs. None of the
    computers can access the printers or shared files on the BASEMENT pc. Tried
    turning off Windows Firewall and Norton Internet Worm Protection. BASEMENT
    shows on screen off all other machines in "view workgroup computers" and when
    I try to add printers to laptop or BEDROOM or DEN, the printers connected to
    BASEMENT appear, but access is denied. If I click on one of the BASEMENT
    printers the logon box pops up for BASEMENT / GUEST asking for a password.
    Meanwhile, GUEST account is OFF on BASEMENT.

    What am I missing / doing wrong? Appreciate any guidance.

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJlejcxNw==?=, Nov 12, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YnJlejcxNw==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Since all your computers are capable to use the Interent your problem is not
    Wireless Related.

    Your File Sharing configuration is probably Off.

    May be this can Help,
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Sorry, I didn't specify earlier, but File Sharing is on at all machines. And
    more important than being able to access the files, is the need to be able to
    print to the 2 printers attached to the BASEMENT pc.

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJlejcxNw==?=, Nov 13, 2006
  4. Hi
    To share printers, you have to allow the printer sharing on the computer
    that the printer is connect to (look at windows native help for printer
    sharing), and then Add a Printer (Control Panel/Printers) as a Network
    printer, installing the printer's drivers on each computer that is going to
    use it.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 13, 2006
  5. As I mentioned in my initial post, the printers attached to all pcs are set
    to share. I've then tried to add a printer as a Network printer. All of the
    printers appear under the network, however, when I click on one of the
    printers attached to the BASEMENT machine I get an "access denied" message.
    A dialog box pops up asking me to login as a Guest on the BASEMENT machine.

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJlejcxNw==?=, Nov 13, 2006