    Lenses will be used on a 20D for sport and wildlife. Autofocus is
    important - poor eyesight!!
    Thanks

    Joe Smith, Feb 28, 2005

  2. On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:52:50 +0000 (UTC), "Joe Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, I am looking for user comparisons between the following Canon 75-300mm
    >f/4.0-5.6. USM or 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM.
    >Lenses will be used on a 20D for sport and wildlife. Autofocus is
    >important - poor eyesight!!
    >Thanks

    Find their MTF charts at Canon and use that for comparison.

    Here's how to use that information.

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-mtf.shtml

    "Did you really think we want those laws observed?"
    said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd
    better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy
    scouts you're up against... We're after power and we
    mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The
    only power any government has is the power to crack
    down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough
    criminals one makes them. One declares so many things
    to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to
    live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of
    law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone?
    But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be
    observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted - and
    you create a nation of law-breakers - and then you
    cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon,
    that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be
    much easier to deal with."

    Ayn Rand
    _Atlas Shrugged_ 1957

    John A. Stovall, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Joe Smith

    Tony Guest

    The lenses are about equal in optical abilities. If using polarizors is
    important to you get the 100-300 as the front element does not turn while
    focusing. If you hand hold most of teh time consider the extra for the
    75-300 IS. This lens appears much sharper from the stabilization.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Feb 28, 2005
  4. "Joe Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am looking for user comparisons between the following Canon 75-300mm
    > f/4.0-5.6. USM or 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM.
    > Lenses will be used on a 20D for sport and wildlife. Autofocus is
    > important - poor eyesight!!
    > Thanks

    I have a 75-300 IS and here is a sample taken at full zoom, hand-held:

    http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschuler/wsb/media/291308/site1046.jpg

    Charles Schuler, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Joe Smith

    Ron Recer Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > The lenses are about equal in optical abilities. If using polarizors is
    > important to you get the 100-300 as the front element does not turn while
    > focusing. If you hand hold most of teh time consider the extra for the
    > 75-300 IS. This lens appears much sharper from the stabilization.

    I have the 75-300 IS and agree about getting the IS if you are going to hand
    hold. However, if you are going to use it for wildlife and sports action
    shots, you may be disappointed in the auto focus speed.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Joe Smith

    Guest

    In message <>,
    "Ron Recer" <> wrote:

    >I have the 75-300 IS and agree about getting the IS if you are going to hand
    >hold. However, if you are going to use it for wildlife and sports action
    >shots, you may be disappointed in the auto focus speed.

    Another thing to consider is that the "reach" of this lens, on a 6MP
    camera with a 1.6x crop factor, is already limited by the lens, and a
    teleconverter will not "reach" any more subject detail. The better
    telephoto zooms have more detail that can be pulled with a TC in
    sufficient lighting.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Mar 1, 2005
  7. Joe Smith

    Maquereau Guest

    "Joe Smith" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Hi, I am looking for user comparisons between the following Canon 75-300mm
    > f/4.0-5.6. USM or 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM.
    > Lenses will be used on a 20D for sport and wildlife. Autofocus is
    > important - poor eyesight!!
    > Thanks

    Just in case...
    http://www.pbase.com/argylemonkey/lens_comp

    Maquereau, Mar 1, 2005
  8. Joe Smith

    LouW Guest

    Hi,
    Have you thought of the Canon EF 28-300 IS L lens? Expensive and heavy but it is an L
    lens and focuses very quickly.
    http://www.pbase.com/choco1/canyon_high_football1

    http://www.pbase.com/choco1/canyon_high_football2

    Warm Regards,