Canon WP-DC800 Waterproof Case Questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lucas Tam, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Hi all,

    I just bought a Canon WP-DC800 for a trip to the Caribbean next week. I
    only plan on snorkeling and going to the beach with the S400.

    Does anyone have any feedback about the case? I read on Amazon.com that
    there is a problem with leakage... is it that serious or was it bad luck
    for those people?

    Anything special I should note while using the case?

    Thanks!

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Apr 16, 2004

  2. I don't know about the camera or case, but I do have a Canon A20 and
    waterhousing. There are a couple of tricks..........

    Water droplets on the lens port - eat an apple before using in the water,
    then when you use spit on the lens port, water will run more freely off the
    port after it's been submerged.

    If the water is cold, put your camera/case opened in the fridge for 10
    minutes. When you then submerge into cold water, you won't get condensation.

    Make sure you use the silicon gel provided to keep the rubber "O" ring
    supple. If you get sand in the "O" ring, you can then get leaks.

    Remember that a "normal" camera/lens will focus fine above water -
    underwater the focussing is different, so you'll need to work on your
    underwater shots, they may come out blurry. Don't be scared to use the
    onboard flash.

    Good luck!

    Derrick
    www.surfworx.com.au

    Surfworx Photography, Apr 17, 2004

  3. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Surfworx Photography" <> wrote in

    > Water droplets on the lens port - eat an apple before using in the
    > water, then when you use spit on the lens port, water will run more
    > freely off the port after it's been submerged.

    Wow interesting, that works? I'll give it a try - tho I'm not much for
    apples, how about apple pies?

    Thanks for the info!

    --
    Lucas Tam ()