    system in the cold (snow, freezing weather, etc)?

    Many thanks in advance for any help!

    -darren
    D. Bennett, Oct 8, 2003

  2. D. Bennett

    Jon C Guest

    I use the Canon case for the S200 Digital Elph which looks very similar. I
    use it for scuba diving, caving, or just plain bad weather. Use some no-fog
    solution on the inside of the glass lens covering and you're all set. All
    functions are available, it's tough, and waterproof.

    The flash works exactly as normal, all the buttons work exactly as normal.
    It's neato and I recommend it.

    Jon

    Jon C, Oct 8, 2003

  3. D. Bennett <> wrote:
    >I am curious if there is anyone out there in the scuba, kayaking or
    >digital photo areas that has used the Canon WP-DC800 waterproof case
    >for the PowerShot 400 digital camera.
    >
    >I am interested in it for kayaking, snorkeling/scuba and outdoor
    >adventures in the rainy Pacific NW (USA).

    I have 4 dives in Belize using it, plus a couple snorkeling sessions. You
    can see the pics on my web page. It had some level of condensation on the
    4th dive, or leakage, not sure which. I'm going to do a test dive without
    the camera on the next pass to see. I've been told many put a little
    desiccant inside to deal with condensation. This is one reason to consider
    the olympus stylus if the camera hasn't been purchased yet.

    The controls are very good, but autofocus can be slow. I haven't had the
    camera long enough to know how to make things happen quickly. It is very
    good at getting shots of multiple divers in blue water, and photoshop
    cleans up the color nicely. Not so good for wide angle, or fast moving
    objects. But in general, worked well for its capabilities. I took about
    200 shots and some videos on the 4 dives, 58 are cleaned up and on the
    web, though when I finish the writeup I'm sure I'll cut it in half. Stll
    much better than one can expect to do with film.

    If you're on the surface, you may have trouble with droplets on the lens
    portal. This could make it harder for kayak use.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Oct 8, 2003
  4. D. Bennett

    Newdiver2 Guest

    I use a WP-DC600 with a PowerShot S230 which is almost identical to the 800/400
    combination. I use it for scuba pictures and have had nothing but good results
    with it - with one exception. Since the water is cold (50s) when I dive, I must
    use defog on the inside of the housing. The one time I forgot to do so, the
    lens fogged up as soon as the warm moist air inside the housing hit the cold
    water. Use the defog and all is well. All controls are easily accessed (even
    with thick neoprene gloves) except that one can't change the flash card or
    battery underwater of course!

    The pictures I've gotten have been outstanding.

    Good luck to you!
    Newdiver2, Oct 12, 2003
  5. D. Bennett

    River Wild Guest

    I have the PowerShot S50 camera and the waterproof case for it, but I
    haven't used it yet. I will (hopefully) be using it for the first
    time on the 2nd during a group kayaking trip. I hope to get some
    great shots of the group with it! The camera itself is fantastic and
    takes the best photos, so I'm sure it will be super even with the big
    ol' waterproof case 'round it. I feel much safer with the hunky case
    to protect it, though, so I don't mind the bulky aspect of it to
    protect my investment! :)

    River Wild, Oct 14, 2003
  6. I've got the S230 and the canon case for it and have taken it scuba
    diving in Alaska and Hawaii. Down to 65feet max depth and not a drop
    of water in it.

    The movie mode really adds a dimension to the underwater pics. The
    microphone even records whale song underwater as I was lucky enough to
    capture off Maui in March.

    Bruce Shellenbaum, Oct 15, 2003
  7. I had great success with it on a 10 day canoe trip this past August. Others
    on the trip used a variety of camera bags/boxes. I kept my camera at my
    feet and was able to get quick pictures (within the limits of boot-up time
    and shutter lag) that others missed. The cost, size, and weight turned out
    to be worth it.

    The camera came out of the case twice, once to change the battery, and
    again, to swap the flash card and battery. I shot ~700 MB of pictures. I
    noticed no issue with the case, excepting close range flash where the bottom
    right hand of the picture was not as well light.

    Buttons were easy to use.

    I haven't tried it in snow (yet).

    Ben Voris \(remove 'N' 'O' and 'SPAM' to reply\), Oct 18, 2003
  8. D. Bennett

    River Wild Guest

    (River Wild) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have the PowerShot S50 camera and the waterproof case for it, but I
    > haven't used it yet. I will (hopefully) be using it for the first
    > time on the 2nd during a group kayaking trip. I hope to get some
    > great shots of the group with it! The camera itself is fantastic and
    > takes the best photos, so I'm sure it will be super even with the big
    > ol' waterproof case 'round it. I feel much safer with the hunky case
    > to protect it, though, so I don't mind the bulky aspect of it to
    > protect my investment! :)

    Okay, the trip did happen (excellent weather!) and I did get some
    pictures with the camera in the waterproof case. Oh, thank goodness
    for the waterproof case! :) It worked splendidly and I would
    definitely recommend it! It's a little harder to take photos if
    you're in a group of kayakers 'cause you have to take the time to
    stop, turn on the camera, take the photo(s), and turn off the camera
    (holding a button down for 5 sec. since you can't close the lens cap
    when using the waterproof case) before beginning to paddle again. I
    was in the rear, which is perfect for taking photos of the group
    paddling, but then I had to catch up all the more.

    Oh, and it was really bright out so there's lots of sunlight
    reflection which makes parts of the pictures eerily light'n'blurry,
    but I prob'ly could've fixed that if I'd taken the time to do so ...
    and if I'd known that's how the pix came out since it is hard to see
    the screen of the camera in bright daylight.

    You won't regret spending the money for the waterproof case!
    River Wild, Nov 3, 2003
  9. D. Bennett

    Michael Daly Guest

    On 3-Nov-2003, (River Wild) wrote:

    > It's a little harder to take photos if
    > you're in a group of kayakers 'cause you have to take the time to
    > stop, turn on the camera, take the photo(s), and turn off the camera
    > (holding a button down for 5 sec. since you can't close the lens cap
    > when using the waterproof case) before beginning to paddle again.

    With my Canon A40, I find that it's easier to just turn off the display
    screen and leave the camera on. Most of the battery drain in standby
    is from the display and with it off, the battery drain can be ignored.
    I use the viewfinder when paddling anyway (screen isn't bright enough
    in sunshine) so it's not really required.

    If you can't turn it off easily, see if there's an automatic battery
    saver mode that shuts off the screen after a minute or so of inactivity.
    ISTR that the PS400 has something like that.

    Mike
    Michael Daly, Nov 3, 2003
  10. D. Bennett

    Henry Guest

    Hi,
    Your comments do the photos turn out blurry... yes and no.
    I Kayak and have often placed my S45 under the water. What I got back
    was not what I would expect to see if I was wearing goggles. But alas!
    I use a program to reduce my photos for my web page and only 2 years
    later discover that some digital underwater shots need a very simple
    one stop edit to make it appear as you would expect. Have a look two
    shots one original and one adjusted.
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/hkolk/OPKayak/OPKayakClub.htm
    Go to the Gallery and page down to the bottom for a title called odd
    shots.

    Henry

    Henry, Nov 6, 2003
  11. D. Bennett

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Henry" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Your comments do the photos turn out blurry... yes and no.
    > I Kayak and have often placed my S45 under the water. What I got back
    > was not what I would expect to see if I was wearing goggles. But alas!
    > I use a program to reduce my photos for my web page and only 2 years
    > later discover that some digital underwater shots need a very simple
    > one stop edit to make it appear as you would expect. Have a look two
    > shots one original and one adjusted.
    > http://home.iprimus.com.au/hkolk/OPKayak/OPKayakClub.htm
    > Go to the Gallery and page down to the bottom for a title called odd
    > shots.
    >

    > Henry

    Ok, what did you do with the one shot edit please.
    Rudy Benner, Nov 6, 2003
  12. D. Bennett

    Mike Warren Guest

    > > Have a look two
    > > shots one original and one adjusted.
    > > http://home.iprimus.com.au/hkolk/OPKayak/OPKayakClub.htm
    > > Go to the Gallery and page down to the bottom for a title called odd
    > > shots.

    > Ok, what did you do with the one shot edit please.

    It looks like he just used auto levels in Photoshop

    -Mike
    Mike Warren, Nov 6, 2003
  13. Mike Warren <> wrote:
    >> > shots one original and one adjusted.
    >> > http://home.iprimus.com.au/hkolk/OPKayak/OPKayakClub.htm

    >> Ok, what did you do with the one shot edit please.

    >It looks like he just used auto levels in Photoshop

    The auto color in 7.0 makes a remarkable improvement on shots with the S400.
    Check my page for belize pics, in particular the snorkel shots of a ray.

    Auto levels isn't nearly as good for some shots, nearly identical on others.
    But in general not good enough to use it over manually setting the levels.
    Auto color, otoh, was useful enough to do and then fade out slightly.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Nov 6, 2003
  14. D. Bennett

    River Wild Guest

    "Michael Daly" <> wrote in message news:<IRApb.175851$>...
    > On 3-Nov-2003, (River Wild) wrote:
    >
    > > It's a little harder to take photos if
    > > you're in a group of kayakers 'cause you have to take the time to
    > > stop, turn on the camera, take the photo(s), and turn off the camera
    > > (holding a button down for 5 sec. since you can't close the lens cap
    > > when using the waterproof case) before beginning to paddle again.

    > With my Canon A40, I find that it's easier to just turn off the display
    > screen and leave the camera on. Most of the battery drain in standby
    > is from the display and with it off, the battery drain can be ignored.
    > I use the viewfinder when paddling anyway (screen isn't bright enough
    > in sunshine) so it's not really required.
    >
    > If you can't turn it off easily, see if there's an automatic battery
    > saver mode that shuts off the screen after a minute or so of inactivity.
    > ISTR that the PS400 has something like that.
    >
    > Mike

    I don't like viewfinders; I like to know exactly what I'm getting in
    the photo, especially if I'm taking wildlife, artistic, or people
    pictures.

    There is an auto mode and it is on, but I would rather save two
    minutes of battery than waste it!

    I just wish they had made it so you could just push two buttons in
    sequence to turn it off or something.
    River Wild, Nov 7, 2003
  15. D. Bennett

    River Wild Guest

    "Ben Voris \(remove 'N' 'O' and 'SPAM' to reply\)" <> wrote in message news:<W0gkb.808952$YN5.814329@sccrnsc01>...
    > I had great success with it on a 10 day canoe trip this past August. Others
    > on the trip used a variety of camera bags/boxes. I kept my camera at my
    > feet and was able to get quick pictures (within the limits of boot-up time
    > and shutter lag) that others missed. The cost, size, and weight turned out

    I, too, kept my camera at my feet so it was within reasonable reach
    without getting in the way at all.

    River Wild, Nov 7, 2003