CANON Worcester Gas Stove - Light Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by john, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. john

    john Guest

    The electric light inside the oven of my CANON
    Worcester Gas Stove - the one with a glass
    drop down door has ceased to function.

    The manual tells how to change the bulb in
    the event of it failing which basically is to
    unscrew it.

    Problem is that the durn thing will not unscrew!
    I've tried it when the oven is hot and when it's
    cold, but it makes no difference, it's jammed.

    With the cost of a call-out for a Gas Board Engineer
    I hesitate to follow that path, BUT, my wife wants
    to be able to take a look at what's cooking without
    opening the door which sounds perfectly reasonable.

    Has someone on the group advise please.

    Thank you.

    John
    =====================================

    john, Sep 23, 2005

  2. john

    old jon Guest

    "john" <> wrote in message
    > The electric light inside the oven of my CANON
    > Worcester Gas Stove - the one with a glass
    > drop down door has ceased to function.
    >
    > The manual tells how to change the bulb in
    > the event of it failing which basically is to
    > unscrew it.
    >
    > Problem is that the durn thing will not unscrew!
    > I've tried it when the oven is hot and when it's
    > cold, but it makes no difference, it's jammed.
    >
    > With the cost of a call-out for a Gas Board Engineer
    > I hesitate to follow that path, BUT, my wife wants
    > to be able to take a look at what's cooking without
    > opening the door which sounds perfectly reasonable.
    >
    > Has someone on the group advise please.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John

    You are trying the correct way to unscrew it ?.
    Consider, wrapping the bulb and breaking the glass, so that you can use a
    pair of pliers to grip the metal base to unscrew it. After you`ve switch
    off\unplug the AC !!.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Sep 23, 2005

  3. john

    john Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:50:33 GMT, "old jon"
    <> wrote:

    >"john" <> wrote in message
    >> The electric light inside the oven of my CANON
    >> Worcester Gas Stove - the one with a glass
    >> drop down door has ceased to function.
    >>
    >> The manual tells how to change the bulb in
    >> the event of it failing which basically is to
    >> unscrew it.
    >>
    >> Problem is that the durn thing will not unscrew!
    >> I've tried it when the oven is hot and when it's
    >> cold, but it makes no difference, it's jammed.
    >>
    >> With the cost of a call-out for a Gas Board Engineer
    >> I hesitate to follow that path, BUT, my wife wants
    >> to be able to take a look at what's cooking without
    >> opening the door which sounds perfectly reasonable.
    >>
    >> Has someone on the group advise please.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    >You are trying the correct way to unscrew it ?.
    >Consider, wrapping the bulb and breaking the glass, so that you can use a
    >pair of pliers to grip the metal base to unscrew it. After you`ve switch
    >off\unplug the AC !!.
    >best wishes..OJ

    =====================================
    OJ
    Yes I tries turning it in each of the directions.

    I thought of breaking the "bulb" but in fact the piece
    in mention appears to be a heavy duty cover rather
    than the bulb itself.

    Thanks for your two pennyworth!

    John
    ==============================

    john, Sep 23, 2005
  4. john

    Scraggy Guest

    john wrote:
    > The electric light inside the oven of my CANON
    > Worcester Gas Stove - the one with a glass
    > drop down door has ceased to function.
    >
    > The manual tells how to change the bulb in
    > the event of it failing which basically is to
    > unscrew it.
    >
    > Problem is that the durn thing will not unscrew!
    > I've tried it when the oven is hot and when it's
    > cold, but it makes no difference, it's jammed.
    >
    > With the cost of a call-out for a Gas Board Engineer
    > I hesitate to follow that path, BUT, my wife wants
    > to be able to take a look at what's cooking without
    > opening the door which sounds perfectly reasonable.
    >
    > Has someone on the group advise please.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John

    Had a similar problem, not a Canon. I tried soaking it in oven cleaner which
    didn't work for me, but who knows..
    I ended up ordering a new glass and bulb, so that when it broke in the jaws
    of the grips, it was simply matter of hooking out the broken bits.
    YMMV
    members. Groucho Marx

    Scraggy, Sep 23, 2005