    Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the Canon
    7D?

    , Jan 27, 2010

  2. Chris H Guest

    In message <
    s.com>, "" <> writes
    >Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the Canon
    >7D?

    Lots on both sides.

    1 Try both in YOUR hands and see how they handle. That is the best way
    of judging it.

    2 See what all your friends have. (It helps to be able to borrow kit)

    3 Neither Canon of Nikon have actually made a bad camera in that price
    range.

    4 both have equally large ranges of lenses (that you won't be able to
    afford :)

    5 A friend of mine has a 7D and likes it a lot (but he has had Canons
    for years). As a long time Nikon user the buttons were "all in the wrong
    place" for me.

    Chris H, Jan 27, 2010

  3. Charles Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the Canon
    > 7D?

    If you are already invested (lenses and accessories) then stick with your
    brand. They both can take awesome pictures.

    If you are starting with no bias or prior investments, handle them. They
    are different in terms of ergonomics. And, sometimes, a feature that might
    be important for your use.

    I repeat: they both can take awesome pictures.

    Charles, Jan 27, 2010
  4. Charles Guest

    "simon" <> wrote in message
    > "If you are starting with no bias or prior investments, handle them. "
    >
    > and maybe consider broadening your horizons...
    >
    > See AP magazine this month for a review of the 7D versus the Pentax K7.
    > £300 quid cheaper and almost as good....

    The OP asked about only two brands, but I certainly agree that Sony, Pentax,
    Olympus and others are worth considering. This is more skill limited than
    equipment limited ... a good photog with an average camera will outdo a
    newbie with the latest rig 95% of the time.

    Charles, Jan 27, 2010
  5. Anon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the Canon
    > 7D?

    They are both just tools. It depends on whose hand's the tool is in.
    Michelangelo with a hammer and chisle could free David from a block of
    Marble, I would only end up with expensive gravel. I sculpt with light, he
    did with Marble... Put a camera in his hands, who knows what?

    Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony it really doesn't matter as long as you
    understand the limits of your equipment.

    Darrell Larose
    Pentax Shooter
    Ottawa

    http://DarrellLarose.ca

    Anon, Jan 27, 2010
  6. ransley Guest

    On Jan 27, 12:02 pm, "" <> wrote:
    > Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the Canon
    > 7D?

    www.dpreview.com and other sites have reviews of both for you to
    decide.

    ransley, Jan 28, 2010
  7. J. Clarke Guest

    Anon wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the
    >> Canon 7D?

    > They are both just tools. It depends on whose hand's the tool is in.
    > Michelangelo with a hammer and chisle could free David from a block of
    > Marble, I would only end up with expensive gravel. I sculpt with
    > light, he did with Marble... Put a camera in his hands, who knows
    > what?
    >
    > Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony it really doesn't matter as long as you
    > understand the limits of your equipment.

    For general work this is true. For special purposes go with whichever one
    has the pieces you need in its system or available from third parties.

    J. Clarke, Jan 28, 2010
  8. Peter Guest

    "Charles" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the Canon
    >> 7D?

    > If you are already invested (lenses and accessories) then stick with your
    > brand. They both can take awesome pictures.
    >
    > If you are starting with no bias or prior investments, handle them. They
    > are different in terms of ergonomics. And, sometimes, a feature that
    > might be important for your use.
    >
    > I repeat: they both can take awesome pictures.

    Correction:
    a photographer can take awesome pictures with either.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jan 28, 2010
  9. Peter Guest

    "Charles" <> wrote in message

    > "simon" <> wrote in message
    >> "If you are starting with no bias or prior investments, handle them. "
    >>
    >> and maybe consider broadening your horizons...
    >>
    >> See AP magazine this month for a review of the 7D versus the Pentax K7.
    >> £300 quid cheaper and almost as good....

    > The OP asked about only two brands, but I certainly agree that Sony,
    > Pentax, Olympus and others are worth considering. This is more skill
    > limited than equipment limited ... a good photog with an average camera
    > will outdo a newbie with the latest rig 95% of the time.

    Yup! A more expensive camera does not make one a better photographer. If you
    have the need for a feature then you should get that camera, if you can
    afford it. Interestingly, Thom Hogan's review of the D3x makes it clear that
    camera is not for beginners. He points out that your results will be worse
    if you don't know what you are doing.

    http://www.bythom.com/nikond3xreview.htm

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jan 28, 2010
  10. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > "Charles" <> wrote in message news:hjqi81$hmb$-september.org...

    >> The OP asked about only two brands, but I certainly agree that Sony, Pentax, Olympus and others are worth considering. This is
    >> more skill limited than equipment limited ... a good photog with an average camera will outdo a newbie with the latest rig 95% of
    >> the time.

    > Yup! A more expensive camera does not make one a better photographer. If you have the need for a feature then you should get that
    > camera, if you can afford it. Interestingly, Thom Hogan's review of the D3x makes it clear that camera is not for beginners. He
    > points out that your results will be worse if you don't know what you are doing.
    >
    > http://www.bythom.com/nikond3xreview.htm
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Of course, but we all know that the Nikopentasonolympunon will
    out perform all the others, and it will cost less, too! 8^)
    --DR

    David Ruether, Jan 28, 2010
  11. Guest

    On Jan 28, 9:54 am, "Peter" <> wrote:
    > "Charles" <> wrote in message
    > > The OP asked about only two brands, but I certainly agree that Sony,
    > > Pentax, Olympus and others are worth considering.  This is more skill
    > > limited than equipment limited ... a good photog with an average camera
    > > will outdo a newbie with the latest rig 95% of the time.

    > Yup! A more expensive camera does not make one a better photographer. If you
    > have the need for a feature then you should get that camera, if you can
    > afford it. Interestingly, Thom Hogan's review of the D3x makes it clear that
    > camera is not for beginners. He points out that your results will be worse
    > if you don't know what you are doing.

    I've got LOTS of experience with a Sony DSC-D770 "bridge" camera - and
    will be moving up to dSLR for (at least) some work now. FWIW, I've
    done real well with the Sony - but want the flexibility of
    interchangeable lenses and more zoom range.

    , Feb 1, 2010