    bring a reduction in noise, even if it isn't up to the standard of the
    350D/XT?

    Fr Hackett.

    Fr J. Hackett, May 7, 2005

  2. "Fr J. Hackett" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Could someone tell me if there is a major difference in ISO noise
    > between the old Powershot A80 and the Powershot G6? I've seen samples
    > but I'd like to hear what others think.
    >
    > Also, is the noise on the Digic II chip significantly less?
    >
    > I've seen samples of the 350D/Digital Rebel XT with the Digic II chip
    > and the ISO noise is, of course, quite a bit less than the cheaper
    > cameras but will the implementation of the Digic II in the less
    > expensive cameras (the forthcoming Powershot S2, for example) also
    > bring a reduction in noise, even if it isn't up to the standard of the
    > 350D/XT?

    No. The noise characteristics are determined almost completely by the
    sensor. The DIGIC II is mainly interesting for its faster performance with
    memory cards.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, May 7, 2005

  3. Fr J. Hackett

    Rick Guest

    "Fr J. Hackett" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Could someone tell me if there is a major difference in ISO noise
    > between the old Powershot A80 and the Powershot G6? I've seen samples
    > but I'd like to hear what others think.

    The two are in separate categories. The G-series have much
    better optics and orders of magnitute less noise.

    > Also, is the noise on the Digic II chip significantly less?

    Yes, although there's only so much that processing can do.
    We'll get a definitive answer to your question shortly, when
    the S2 IS is released.

    > I've seen samples of the 350D/Digital Rebel XT with the Digic II chip
    > and the ISO noise is, of course, quite a bit less than the cheaper
    > cameras but will the implementation of the Digic II in the less
    > expensive cameras (the forthcoming Powershot S2, for example) also
    > bring a reduction in noise, even if it isn't up to the standard of the
    > 350D/XT?

    At least from Canon's samples it looks pretty good compared
    to the S1 IS, which IMO had unacceptable levels of CA and
    noise.

    Rick, May 7, 2005
  4. David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > No. The noise characteristics are determined almost completely by the
    > sensor. The DIGIC II is mainly interesting for its faster performance

    with
    > memory cards.

    My fault.
    I was getting my information mainly from one website and after
    searching around, it seems to be the CMOS sensor that's mainly
    responsible.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Fr Hackett.

    Fr J. Hackett, May 7, 2005
  5. Rick wrote:

    > > I've seen samples of the 350D/Digital Rebel XT with the Digic II

    chip
    > > and the ISO noise is, of course, quite a bit less than the cheaper
    > > cameras but will the implementation of the Digic II in the less
    > > expensive cameras (the forthcoming Powershot S2, for example) also
    > > bring a reduction in noise, even if it isn't up to the standard of

    the
    > > 350D/XT?

    > At least from Canon's samples it looks pretty good compared
    > to the S1 IS, which IMO had unacceptable levels of CA and
    > noise.

    I've had an old Canon EOS 650 for sixteen years and having relatively
    recently gone to digital, chromatic aberration is a real downside for
    me.

    Virtually all the samples from the G6 or S2 are either ISO 50 or Auto
    ISO - I've barely seen any at 200/400.

    I find that I never use my A80 at 200 or above.

    I still have my EOS 650, by the way.
    I'm not getting rid of it just yet.

    Fr Hackett.

    Fr J. Hackett, May 7, 2005