    Hey, has anyone here converted a wide-angle Canon TS lens for a Nikon
    mount? I want to do some TS stuff, but Nikon only offers the 85mm these
    days and I want to do landscapes.

    Cynicor, Jan 8, 2007

  2. Cynicor

    Guest

    Cynicor wrote:
    > Hey, has anyone here converted a wide-angle Canon TS lens for a Nikon
    > mount? I want to do some TS stuff, but Nikon only offers the 85mm these
    > days and I want to do landscapes.

    You should be able to find a used Nikkor 28 or 35 PC. For the price of
    the lens you could go with full Photoshop and do the perspective shift
    there.

    , Jan 8, 2007

  3. "Cynicor" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hey, has anyone here converted a wide-angle Canon TS lens for a Nikon mount? I want to do some TS stuff, but Nikon only offers the
    > 85mm these days and I want to do landscapes.

    I have heard of the 24mm TS being adapted, but I could
    find no info on it. I think it would take considerable work
    to do it, since I think the rear end of the barrel would need
    to be shortened before installing the Nikon bayonette.
    Worth doing, especially for small-sensor digital cameras,
    though regular wide angles at smaller stops give much
    DOF.
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

    David Ruether, Jan 8, 2007

    David Ruether, Jan 8, 2007
  5. "David Ruether" <> wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <> wrote:

    >> Hey, has anyone here converted a wide-angle Canon TS lens for a Nikon
    >> mount? I want to do some TS stuff, but Nikon only offers the 85mm these
    >> days and I want to do landscapes.

    > I have heard of the 24mm TS being adapted, but I could
    > find no info on it. I think it would take considerable work
    > to do it, since I think the rear end of the barrel would need
    > to be shortened before installing the Nikon bayonette.
    > Worth doing, especially for small-sensor digital cameras,
    > though regular wide angles at smaller stops give much
    > DOF.

    The 24mm would become a 36mm TSE on a cropped camera, a bit of a snore by
    comparison, but still useful. Of course, you can use the whole 11 mm of
    shift, which is a lot of shift on a cropped camera. (The 24mm on FF has just
    enough shift to be somewhat useful (Canon only recommends using up to 7mm of
    the shift, beyond that, it gets somewhat funky). Sigh. Nothing like the 12mm
    of useful shift you get using 645 lenses with an adapter.)

    But for the price of the modification, you could just buy a 400D body (this
    is a serious suggestion). And then you could use the lens on a 5D (or 5D
    follow on) when you came to your senses and realized that cropped sensors
    are inferior (this is a cheap shot).

    While the 24mm is a manual focus lens, it does report enough information
    back to the camera that you can use that AF system as a focusing aid, which
    is incredibly useful when doing Scheimpflug things. Does the Nikon AF system
    operate as a focusing aid with lenses that don't report information back?
    Canon's doesn't, which makes using non-Canon lenses a pain.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 9, 2007
  6. David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > While the 24mm is a manual focus lens, it does report enough
    > information back to the camera that you can use that AF system as a
    > focusing aid, which is incredibly useful when doing Scheimpflug
    > things. Does the Nikon AF system operate as a focusing aid with
    > lenses that don't report information back? Canon's doesn't, which
    > makes using non-Canon lenses a pain.

    Try this.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180072303328

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jan 9, 2007
  7. "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >
    >> While the 24mm is a manual focus lens, it does report enough
    >> information back to the camera that you can use that AF system as a
    >> focusing aid, which is incredibly useful when doing Scheimpflug
    >> things. Does the Nikon AF system operate as a focusing aid with
    >> lenses that don't report information back? Canon's doesn't, which
    >> makes using non-Canon lenses a pain.

    > Try this.
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180072303328

    Ah, more proof that Nikon sucks: "NIKON D70/D100 not support metering for
    Nikon manual lens, however EOS do support."

    And someone argued with me when I said that use of older Nikon lenses on
    Nikon dSLRs was an insane bag of inane complications. ROFL.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 9, 2007
  8. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >> David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >>
    >>> While the 24mm is a manual focus lens, it does report enough
    >>> information back to the camera that you can use that AF system as a
    >>> focusing aid, which is incredibly useful when doing Scheimpflug
    >>> things. Does the Nikon AF system operate as a focusing aid with
    >>> lenses that don't report information back? Canon's doesn't, which
    >>> makes using non-Canon lenses a pain.

    >> Try this.
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180072303328

    > Ah, more proof that Nikon sucks: "NIKON D70/D100 not support metering for
    > Nikon manual lens, however EOS do support."

    I have a D200 though.

    Cynicor, Jan 9, 2007
  9. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "David Ruether" <> wrote:
    >> "Cynicor" <> wrote:

    >>> Hey, has anyone here converted a wide-angle Canon TS lens for a Nikon
    >>> mount? I want to do some TS stuff, but Nikon only offers the 85mm these
    >>> days and I want to do landscapes.

    >> I have heard of the 24mm TS being adapted, but I could
    >> find no info on it. I think it would take considerable work
    >> to do it, since I think the rear end of the barrel would need
    >> to be shortened before installing the Nikon bayonette.
    >> Worth doing, especially for small-sensor digital cameras,
    >> though regular wide angles at smaller stops give much
    >> DOF.

    > The 24mm would become a 36mm TSE on a cropped camera, a bit of a snore by
    > comparison, but still useful. Of course, you can use the whole 11 mm of
    > shift, which is a lot of shift on a cropped camera. (The 24mm on FF has just
    > enough shift to be somewhat useful (Canon only recommends using up to 7mm of
    > the shift, beyond that, it gets somewhat funky). Sigh. Nothing like the 12mm
    > of useful shift you get using 645 lenses with an adapter.)

    Hmmmm. A 645 lens and a Zoerk?

    > But for the price of the modification, you could just buy a 400D body (this
    > is a serious suggestion). And then you could use the lens on a 5D (or 5D
    > follow on) when you came to your senses and realized that cropped sensors
    > are inferior (this is a cheap shot).

    But I've got a Dremel. I could do it in 5 minutes for free!

    Cynicor, Jan 9, 2007
  10. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >> Hey, has anyone here converted a wide-angle Canon TS lens for a Nikon
    >> mount? I want to do some TS stuff, but Nikon only offers the 85mm these
    >> days and I want to do landscapes.

    > You should be able to find a used Nikkor 28 or 35 PC. For the price of
    > the lens you could go with full Photoshop and do the perspective shift
    > there.

    I've got CS2. (Student edition, only $300 or so. My son was eligible!)

    I want to work with the tilt stuff too.

    Cynicor, Jan 9, 2007
  11. "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    > David J. Littleboy wrote:

    >>> I have heard of the 24mm TS being adapted, but I could
    >>> find no info on it. I think it would take considerable work
    >>> to do it, since I think the rear end of the barrel would need
    >>> to be shortened before installing the Nikon bayonette.
    >>> Worth doing, especially for small-sensor digital cameras,
    >>> though regular wide angles at smaller stops give much
    >>> DOF.

    >> The 24mm would become a 36mm TSE on a cropped camera, a bit of a snore by
    >> comparison, but still useful. Of course, you can use the whole 11 mm of
    >> shift, which is a lot of shift on a cropped camera. (The 24mm on FF has
    >> just enough shift to be somewhat useful (Canon only recommends using up
    >> to 7mm of the shift, beyond that, it gets somewhat funky). Sigh. Nothing
    >> like the 12mm of useful shift you get using 645 lenses with an adapter.)

    > Hmmmm. A 645 lens and a Zoerk?

    Yep. Actually, three 645 lenses (35mm, 55mm, 110mm), although the 110 isn't
    all that much use as a shift lens. Here's some ugly Moire with the 35mm
    lens. (Handheld, so it's a tad dizzy. Click original for lots of pixels,
    although with some jpeg artifacting.)

    http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/57362779/large

    >> But for the price of the modification, you could just buy a 400D body
    >> (this is a serious suggestion). And then you could use the lens on a 5D
    >> (or 5D follow on) when you came to your senses and realized that cropped
    >> sensors are inferior (this is a cheap shot).

    > But I've got a Dremel. I could do it in 5 minutes for free!

    It'll cost you US$1000 or so if you slip. Seriously, even a used 300D makes
    more sense.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 9, 2007
  12. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    >> David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >>> The 24mm would become a 36mm TSE on a cropped camera, a bit of a snore by
    >>> comparison, but still useful. Of course, you can use the whole 11 mm of
    >>> shift, which is a lot of shift on a cropped camera. (The 24mm on FF has
    >>> just enough shift to be somewhat useful (Canon only recommends using up
    >>> to 7mm of the shift, beyond that, it gets somewhat funky). Sigh. Nothing
    >>> like the 12mm of useful shift you get using 645 lenses with an adapter.)

    >> Hmmmm. A 645 lens and a Zoerk?

    > Yep. Actually, three 645 lenses (35mm, 55mm, 110mm), although the 110 isn't
    > all that much use as a shift lens. Here's some ugly Moire with the 35mm
    > lens. (Handheld, so it's a tad dizzy. Click original for lots of pixels,
    > although with some jpeg artifacting.)
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/57362779/large
    >
    >>> But for the price of the modification, you could just buy a 400D body
    >>> (this is a serious suggestion). And then you could use the lens on a 5D
    >>> (or 5D follow on) when you came to your senses and realized that cropped
    >>> sensors are inferior (this is a cheap shot).

    >> But I've got a Dremel. I could do it in 5 minutes for free!

    > It'll cost you US$1000 or so if you slip. Seriously, even a used 300D makes
    > more sense.

    Should I just get the 85mm PC and shut up?

    Cynicor, Jan 9, 2007
  13. "Cynicor" <> wrote:

    >> It'll cost you US$1000 or so if you slip. Seriously, even a used 300D
    >> makes more sense.

    > Should I just get the 85mm PC and shut up?

    That's a 127mm equivalent lens, so the shift function is pretty meaningless,
    and using the tilt will require extreme care, because you'll have minimal
    DOF even stopped down. That's a very different lens from a 36mm TSE lens.

    Of course, it's f/2.8 and long, so you'll be able to see the area of focus
    fairly well.

    The 24mm TSE is seriously difficult to use with tilt, since it's short and
    slow (f/3.5). I really don't see how the LF guys can focus their even slower
    lenses for tilt work. Here are my first attempts with the beast. (The second
    one's a reverse Scheimpflug.)

    http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/72833958/large
    http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/72834052/large

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 9, 2007
  14. David J. Littleboy wrote:

    >>> While the 24mm is a manual focus lens, it does report enough
    >>> information back to the camera that you can use that AF system as a
    >>> focusing aid, which is incredibly useful when doing Scheimpflug
    >>> things. Does the Nikon AF system operate as a focusing aid with
    >>> lenses that don't report information back? Canon's doesn't, which
    >>> makes using non-Canon lenses a pain.

    >> Try this.
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180072303328

    > Ah, more proof that Nikon sucks: "NIKON D70/D100 not support metering
    > for Nikon manual lens, however EOS do support."

    What's a D70? Geez, these are two old starter cameras that were never
    advertises as manual lens compatible, that's why you buy the D200 and/or
    D2x. You must admit that the Nikkors works really great on the EOS, in
    fact, better than the lenses Canon put out. So, Nikon isn't really that bad
    after all.

    > And someone argued with me when I said that use of older Nikon lenses
    > on Nikon dSLRs was an insane bag of inane complications. ROFL.

    What complications? The ergonomics and user interface of the canon dSLR is
    light years behind Nikon's.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jan 9, 2007
  15. Cynicor

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 8, 1:49 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    > Hey, has anyone here converted a wide-angle Canon TS lens for a Nikon
    > mount? I want to do some TS stuff, but Nikon only offers the 85mm these
    > days and I want to do landscapes.

    Some one on DPreview said SKGrimes in Boston adapted a Canon T&S to
    Nikon for them. Will probably cost $$$.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 9, 2007
  16. Cynicor

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> writes:
    > Try this.
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180072303328

    Do I have that straight: if I buy a D80, I can't meter with my closet
    full of MF Nikkors. But if I buy a 400XT, I can meter with them?

    Thanks.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 9, 2007
  17. "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote:
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> writes:
    >> Try this.
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180072303328

    > Do I have that straight: if I buy a D80, I can't meter with my closet
    > full of MF Nikkors. But if I buy a 400XT, I can meter with them?

    Sure looks that way. And if you buy a D40, your _CURRENT_ _AF_ primes won't
    AF. And probably won't matrix meter, either.

    David J. Littleboy
    Who tried to be a bit less of a Canonista the other day and recommended
    Nikon; but it turned out that I recommended a camera that can't do what the
    guy wanted. Won't make that mistake again.
    Tokyo, Japan

    PS: Hey, stomping on Nikon is more fun than badmouthing Windoze!

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 9, 2007
  18. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > The 24mm TSE is seriously difficult to use with tilt, since it's short and
    > slow (f/3.5). I really don't see how the LF guys can focus their even slower
    > lenses for tilt work. Here are my first attempts with the beast. (The second
    > one's a reverse Scheimpflug.)
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/72833958/large
    > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/72834052/large

    I've heard of the reverse Scheimpflug before, but I didn't know that
    anyone was actually lithe and agile enough to achieve it!

    Another option might be the Hartblei with an adapter. I don't know if I
    trust the Ukraine lenses though. And the fact that www.kievcamera.com
    has been hijacked for a porn site doesn't fill me with confidence either.

    Cynicor, Jan 9, 2007
  19. Cynicor

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 9, 9:15 am, Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> writes:
    >
    > > Try this.
    > >http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180072303328Do I have that straight: if I buy a D80, I can't meter with my closet

    > full of MF Nikkors. But if I buy a 400XT, I can meter with them?
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you buy a D200 you can use MF Nikkors, but AI or AIS only, older
    lenses can be adapted. Yes the 400XT will meter but the lenses will be
    stop down metering only ( a real drag unless you have a great lens you
    want to use, and the IQ of the lens will trump the inconvenience).

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 9, 2007
  20. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >> Hey, has anyone here converted a wide-angle Canon TS lens for a Nikon
    >> mount? I want to do some TS stuff, but Nikon only offers the 85mm these
    >> days and I want to do landscapes.

    > You should be able to find a used Nikkor 28 or 35 PC. For the price of
    > the lens you could go with full Photoshop and do the perspective shift
    > there.

    Well I finally looked at the D200 manual. It lists the following as
    incompatible with the D200:

    PC 28mm f/4 (serial number 180900 or earlier)
    PC 35mm f/2.8 (serial numbers 851001-906200)
    PC 35mm f/3.5 (old type)

    Cynicor, Jan 9, 2007