Canon--Trying to Understand

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hpalencar@yahoo.com, Jun 9, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I want to be able to contact the right people involved in cameras
    under warranty. The situation I have has shown me that to contact the
    Repair Department will be an exercise in futility. I also need to
    understand what if anything I'm doing wrong.

    I had the use of a PowerShot A620 for approximately six months. I
    bought a PowerShot A710 IS in January through Amazon/Adorama. I did
    not buy an extended warranty and received no response at all for
    customer support or technical assistance from Adorama.

    In the full year of using PowerShots, I shot consistently in Manual
    Mode. I was never told--nor did I encounter--any shooting situation
    that precluded or pre-empted the ability to use Manual Focus. Last
    month, I used the A710 for a full day of shooting for the first time.
    The camera had been practically untouched since its purchase.

    I shot nearly 200 pictures of flowers at very close range at a
    botanical garden in ideal light--overcast clear day. With each shot,
    depending on the proximity of the flower(s), I segued the Manual Focus
    from the "Feet-to-Infinity" focal measurement to the "Inches" focal
    measurement with no difficulty. The day following my botanical garden
    extravaganza, the camera froze when I attempted to do what I had done
    the day before: take Manual Mode photographs very close-up--not in
    Macro Mode--with the focus of my own choosing. (Some of these
    photographs can be seen, and the EXIF data with them, under a search
    of my name at www.shutterpoint.com.)

    When I phoned Canon Technical Support to report that my Under Warranty
    camera would not transition from "Feet-to-Infinity" to "Inches," I was
    told that the camera clearly was broken. I was issued a RMA, and I
    sent the camera back to the Repair Facility in Elk Grove, Illinois.
    The camera lay there so long, I had to call the facility to see what
    was wrong.

    As I feared, I was told by someone (who was represented over the phone
    as a repair supervisor) that the Canon technician "examining" my
    PowerShot could not "duplicate" the problem. "Numerous tests" had
    been done with the camera. I was asked why I didn't shoot in Macro
    Mode. (I didn't want to shoot in Macro Mode.) I was told that the
    camera cannot segue into "Inch" focal measurement when the object
    being photographed is closer than 20 inches.

    That this was patently untrue was manifest by the fact that with both
    the PowerShot A620 and the PowerShot A710, I had taken countless
    photographs where I was able to actually focus the camera... It
    wasn't as if I were asking the camera to microwave a frozen dinner: in
    Manual Mode, closer than twenty inches from my numerous subjects, I
    had NEVER encountered a problem seguing/transitioning from "Feet-to-
    Infinity" to "Inch" focal measurement IN A YEAR.

    I received the camera back yesterday, and, as I suspected would be the
    case, the problem was not repaired. The camera is useless. It is
    under warranty but useless, and I don't know what to do.

    I've been reading this group ever since the drawn-out problem began in
    mid-May, and it seems enough digital camera enthusiasts are
    knowledgeable enough to advise me how to address Canon's headquarters
    on Monday. For me, the ability to purchase a relatively expensive
    camera is not an everyday thing; and I feel as if this company could
    care less that I have a $300 piece of junk.

    Thank you for reading this. Email or posts gratefully accepted.
    , Jun 9, 2007

  2. Charles Guest

    <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > Manual Mode, closer than twenty inches from my numerous subjects, I
    > had NEVER encountered a problem seguing/transitioning from "Feet-to-
    > Infinity" to "Inch" focal measurement IN A YEAR.
    >
    > I received the camera back yesterday, and, as I suspected would be the
    > case, the problem was not repaired. The camera is useless. It is
    > under warranty but useless, and I don't know what to do.
    >
    > I've been reading this group ever since the drawn-out problem began in
    > mid-May, and it seems enough digital camera enthusiasts are
    > knowledgeable enough to advise me how to address Canon's headquarters
    > on Monday. For me, the ability to purchase a relatively expensive
    > camera is not an everyday thing; and I feel as if this company could
    > care less that I have a $300 piece of junk.
    >
    > Thank you for reading this. Email or posts gratefully accepted.

    You certainly seem to know what you are doing and one can only wonder why
    the camera was not repaired.

    In cases of this type (I have had a few) I Google to find the correct CEO,
    or manager, or whatever and write a snail mail letter. Takes weeks, but has
    worked for me. Good luck.
    Charles, Jun 9, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Jun 9, 5:25 pm, "Charles" <> wrote:

    > In cases of this type (I have had a few) I Google to find the correct CEO,
    > or manager, or whatever and write a snail mail letter. Takes weeks, but has
    > worked for me. Good luck.

    Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I suspected I'd have
    to do things the hard way, and I suppose I just needed someone to tell
    me I was right. I'm glad patience worked for you. It's hard to be
    patient at the height of picture-taking season.
    , Jun 9, 2007
  4. Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : When I phoned Canon Technical Support to report that my Under Warranty
    : camera would not transition from "Feet-to-Infinity" to "Inches," I was
    : told that the camera clearly was broken. I was issued a RMA, and I
    : sent the camera back to the Repair Facility in Elk Grove, Illinois.
    : The camera lay there so long, I had to call the facility to see what
    : was wrong. ...

    What is that repair facility in Illinois? Is it a "Canon Factory Service
    Center"? On the Canon Web site I'm able to find only two two such facilities:
    in Jamesburg NJ and in Irvine CA. Is the Illinois facility a recent addition?
    Or is it something less than a Factory Service Center?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 10, 2007
  5. Bruce. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > When I phoned Canon Technical Support to report that my Under Warranty
    > camera would not transition from "Feet-to-Infinity" to "Inches," I was
    > told that the camera clearly was broken. I was issued a RMA, and I
    > sent the camera back to the Repair Facility in Elk Grove, Illinois.
    > The camera lay there so long, I had to call the facility to see what
    > was wrong.
    >
    > As I feared, I was told by someone (who was represented over the phone
    > as a repair supervisor) that the Canon technician "examining" my
    > PowerShot could not "duplicate" the problem. "Numerous tests" had
    > been done with the camera. I was asked why I didn't shoot in Macro
    > Mode. (I didn't want to shoot in Macro Mode.) I was told that the
    > camera cannot segue into "Inch" focal measurement when the object
    > being photographed is closer than 20 inches.
    >
    > That this was patently untrue was manifest by the fact that with both
    > the PowerShot A620 and the PowerShot A710, I had taken countless
    > photographs where I was able to actually focus the camera... It
    > wasn't as if I were asking the camera to microwave a frozen dinner: in
    > Manual Mode, closer than twenty inches from my numerous subjects, I
    > had NEVER encountered a problem seguing/transitioning from "Feet-to-
    > Infinity" to "Inch" focal measurement IN A YEAR.

    I don't know if this will help, but I spent some time playing with my A-710
    IS. In manual, in almost all cases, I was able to slide the focus from feet
    to inches. I tried a bunch of different settings, exposure, f-stop, etc.,
    and it almost always switched from feet to inches just as you noted.

    I found only one case were it wouldn't. If zoomed the lens towards the
    telephoto end, at some point it would stop switching to inches. It would
    only reliably switch at the wide angle end of the zoom.

    Bruce.
    Bruce., Jun 10, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Jun 9, 7:16 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > What is that repair facility in Illinois? Is it a "Canon Factory Service
    > Center"? On the Canon Web site I'm able to find only two two such facilities:
    > in Jamesburg NJ and in Irvine CA. Is the Illinois facility a recent addition?
    > Or is it something less than a Factory Service Center?
    >
    > Bob

    Elk Grove, Illinois. Canon USA Inc.'s Factory Service Center, 1440
    Chase Avenue, Elk Grove, IL 60007
    , Jun 10, 2007
  7. Guest

    On Jun 9, 7:19 pm, "Bruce." <> wrote:

    > I don't know if this will help, but I spent some time playing with my A-710
    > IS. In manual, in almost all cases, I was able to slide the focus from feet
    > to inches. I tried a bunch of different settings, exposure, f-stop, etc.,
    > and it almost always switched from feet to inches just as you noted.
    >
    > I found only one case were it wouldn't. If zoomed the lens towards the
    > telephoto end, at some point it would stop switching to inches. It would
    > only reliably switch at the wide angle end of the zoom.

    Thanks, Bruce. I'm going to see what I come up with, but I'm fairly
    certain my 710 won't switch to inches even at the telephoto end. Glad
    yours is operating normally.
    , Jun 10, 2007
  8. Bruce. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Elk Grove, Illinois. Canon USA Inc.'s Factory Service Center, 1440
    > Chase Avenue, Elk Grove, IL 60007

    Yes, that's been located there nearly forever. I used to drive by it every
    day.

    Bruce.
    Bruce., Jun 10, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Jun 9, 9:34 pm, "Bruce." <> wrote:

    > > Elk Grove, Illinois. Canon USA Inc.'s Factory Service Center, 1440
    > > Chase Avenue, Elk Grove, IL 60007

    > Yes, that's been located there nearly forever. I used to drive by it every
    > day.

    Would you have any idea where the most germane administrative office
    is located? I have correspondence with Lake Success, NY, on
    letterhead regarding this problem. I don't really know where to
    escalate this problem.
    , Jun 10, 2007
  10. Guest

    I reread my original post and realized I omitted something important.

    When I received the "repaired" A710 back, in the package was a
    photocopy of the User Manual Pages dealing with Manual Focus. The
    weird, really weird, thing is that nowhere on the photocopy was any
    warning that "Inches" Focus can't be used when you are within 20
    inches of an object.

    My decision not to countermand the Canon Repair foreman on this absurd
    point seemed wise, but, I mean, what do you do when a "foreman"
    suddenly gets creative with his company's user manuals? What if my
    Image Display broke, for example, and a "foreman" said You Can't
    Overheat It.

    Every (female) phone operator who answered the Elk Grove number
    referred to this man as "the tops." The fact he phoned me at least
    six times to tell me the camera was being "examined," "tested,"
    "compared with other A710s"--this only made me less confident the
    problem would be detected let alone solved.

    Maybe I should just ask: When do you ask a company you've given solid
    business over the course of a year to just replace a defective unit?
    (I *did* ask for a replacement; instead I got back an unrepaired
    camera...with a very noisy "motor.")
    , Jun 10, 2007
  11. Bruce. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 9, 9:34 pm, "Bruce." <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Elk Grove, Illinois. Canon USA Inc.'s Factory Service Center, 1440
    >> > Chase Avenue, Elk Grove, IL 60007

    >> Yes, that's been located there nearly forever. I used to drive by it
    >> every
    >> day.

    > Would you have any idea where the most germane administrative office
    > is located? I have correspondence with Lake Success, NY, on
    > letterhead regarding this problem. I don't really know where to
    > escalate this problem.

    Sorry but I don't.

    Bruce.
    Bruce., Jun 10, 2007
  12. CharleiD Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:47:17 -0700, wrote:

    >On Jun 9, 5:25 pm, "Charles" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> In cases of this type (I have had a few) I Google to find the correct CEO,
    >> or manager, or whatever and write a snail mail letter. Takes weeks, but has
    >> worked for me. Good luck.

    >Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I suspected I'd have
    >to do things the hard way, and I suppose I just needed someone to tell
    >me I was right. I'm glad patience worked for you. It's hard to be
    >patient at the height of picture-taking season.

    Just because someone tells you that you are right on the internet doesn't make
    it so. I suspect you are using a bit of too-much zoom in manual focus mode,
    beyond the range available at close distances. Locking out the nearer "inches"
    focus by doing so. It doesn't take much zoom to cause this. Use MF mode at full
    wide-angle and see if your "inches" scale doesn't magically comes back to you.

    I suspect the repair department (and everyone else that you called and bothered
    incessantly) whose time you wasted, was correct, and this is simple user error
    because you didn't RTFM!
    CharleiD, Jun 11, 2007
  13. Guest

    On Jun 11, 1:06 am, CharleiD <> wrote:

    > Just because someone tells you that you are right on the internet doesn't make
    > it so.

    Thanks for your kind response. Unfortunately, no exhaustive or even
    comprehensive information exists in the User's Manual. I only wish it
    did. In fact only a single page is given to Manual Focus Mode (the
    bottom half of page 47 and the top of page 48).

    Perhaps you somehow arrived at these instructions some other way.
    , Jun 11, 2007
  14. bugbear Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 1:06 am, CharleiD <> wrote:
    >> Just because someone tells you that you are right on the internet doesn't make
    >> it so.

    > Thanks for your kind response. Unfortunately, no exhaustive or even
    > comprehensive information exists in the User's Manual. I only wish it
    > did. In fact only a single page is given to Manual Focus Mode (the
    > bottom half of page 47 and the top of page 48).
    >
    > Perhaps you somehow arrived at these instructions some other way.

    Page 119 of your advanced manual tells you the limits
    of focus (I downloaded the manual in PDF
    form from the Canon support site)

    Your camera will only focus below 55 cm with
    the lens fully "wide".

    BugBear
    bugbear, Jun 11, 2007
  15. ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 13:49:39 -0700, wrote:

    > As I feared, I was told by someone (who was represented over the phone
    > as a repair supervisor) that the Canon technician "examining" my
    > PowerShot could not "duplicate" the problem. "Numerous tests" had
    > been done with the camera. I was asked why I didn't shoot in Macro
    > Mode. (I didn't want to shoot in Macro Mode.) I was told that the
    > camera cannot segue into "Inch" focal measurement when the object
    > being photographed is closer than 20 inches.

    The technician may have been confused. The crossover point (at
    least with the A620) where the display switches between inches and
    feet really is 20 inches, but the camera always uses inches for
    shots focused closer than 20 inches and feet when focused at
    distances further than 20 inches. This is even true for Landscape
    mode, although I wonder why anyone would really want use this mode
    to focus at very close distances.
    ASAAR, Jun 11, 2007
  16. Guest

    On Jun 11, 5:48 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

    > Page 119 of your advanced manual tells you the limits
    > of focus (I downloaded the manual in PDF
    > form from the Canon support site)
    >
    > Your camera will only focus below 55 cm with
    > the lens fully "wide".

    Thank you. I found the page and read it, and have duplicated at least
    two shots following these instructions.

    I really dislike sarcasm on Usenet and say this sincerely: I wish I
    could understand why, in a year of using two nearly identical Canon
    cameras and taking literally thousands of shots (at least with the
    A620), I never was "scolded" by the Manual Focus before. Possibly I
    had two unusual cameras. I suppose anything's possible. Up until May
    12, I could be any-old place on the Optical Zoom continuum, press
    "MF," and be allowed to segue from Inches to Feet. If this hadn't
    been the case, I wouldn't have considered the camera broken when this
    ability suddenly stopped.

    I greatly appreciate everyone's responses and feedback.
    , Jun 11, 2007
  17. Guest

    One final question motivated by Canon Tech Support's opinion that the
    camera was indeed broken. If you are neither at "absolute wide" or
    "absolute telephoto," but somewhere on the continuum, exactly how are
    you supposed to know at what nanometer the ability to focus in Inches
    stops? (Unless that is you are a savant?)

    It was my ability to use the A620 MF with ease and pleasure that
    motivated me to buy the 710--the ability to be anyplace on the Optical
    Zoom continuum, press "MF," and segue back and forth--quickly!--and
    shoot. Yesterday the relative who now has the A620 says the MF
    continuum does not go into lock-down if she is not at "absolute wide."
    , Jun 11, 2007
  18. Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 03:36:10 -0700, wrote:

    >When I received the "repaired" A710 back, in the package was a
    >photocopy of the User Manual Pages dealing with Manual Focus. The
    >weird, really weird, thing is that nowhere on the photocopy was any
    >warning that "Inches" Focus can't be used when you are within 20
    >inches of an object.

    The manual also doesn't say the camera can't make snow, does it?
    If you're focused farther away than 20 inches, can you make the
    switch?
    You say you don't want to use macro mode; why not? It's there for a
    reason.

    Paris Hilton called Barbara Walters from prison
    Monday to say she is giving up her dumb act.
    The heiress said she's not the ditzy character
    she plays in public. She said while in prison
    she found God, but was baffled as to why God
    was in prison.
    Bill Funk, Jun 14, 2007