    begun shipping them yet?

    --
    nadie

    Xxxxx, Oct 7, 2008

  2. Xxxxx

    dwight Guest

    "Xxxxx" <> wrote in message
    news:HfyGk.1200$...
    > I see that it's generally available for pre-order, but none of the stores
    > I've called have it yet, nor do they know when they will have it. Has
    > Canon begun shipping them yet?
    >
    > --
    > nadie

    According to Canon's own press release:

    "Availability and Pricing
    Scheduled to be available in late October, the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
    digital camera will have an estimated selling price of $399.99*. Kit
    contents will include four AA Alkaline batteries, a USB interface cable, an
    AV cable, a neck strap, lens cap, lens hood, Canon's software suite and a
    1-year Canon U.S.A., Inc. limited warranty."

    http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20080917_sx10is.html

    I take "late October" to mean sometime after the 15th.

    dwight

    dwight, Oct 7, 2008

  3. Xxxxx

    Xxxxx Guest

    Thanks. The last time I'd checked Canon's site, it said "October" without
    the "late" bit thrown in. It hadn't occurred to me that they might modify
    it. Who the hell do they think they are... Microsoft???

    --
    nadie

    Xxxxx, Oct 7, 2008
  4. Xxxxx

    Xxxxx Guest

    I was all set to buy the SX10 IS... but I just read about the SX1 IS. <sigh>
    Guess I'll wait.

    --
    nadie

    Xxxxx, Oct 15, 2008
  5. Xxxxx

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Xxxxx" <> wrote in message
    >I was all set to buy the SX10 IS... but I just read about the SX1 IS.
    ><sigh> Guess I'll wait.
    >
    > --
    > nadie
    > "Stephen Henning" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <HfyGk.1200$>,
    >> "Xxxxx" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I see that it's generally available for pre-order, but none of the
    >>> stores
    >>> I've called have it yet, nor do they know when they will have it. Has
    >>> Canon
    >>> begun shipping them yet?

    >> I bought my SX10IS at Best Buy, over the counter. They matched the best
    >> mail order price and there was no shipping.
    >>
    >> It is a great camera. I am just getting used to it. I am converting
    >> from a Minolta Z5. The Canon address all the shortcomings of the Z5.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
    >> Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA - http://rhodyman.net

    I heard the SX1 won't be available in North America, only Europe and Asia.
    Has that been changed?

    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Oct 15, 2008
  6. Xxxxx

    Xxxxx Guest

    What I heard was "not yet" for North America--maybe in December. But, if I
    can't get one in the U.S., then I'll get one in Europe.

    --
    nadie

    Xxxxx, Oct 16, 2008
  7. Xxxxx

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Xxxxx" <> wrote in message
    > What I heard was "not yet" for North America--maybe in December. But, if I
    > can't get one in the U.S., then I'll get one in Europe.
    >
    > --
    > nadie

    Yeah, from what I've read, it's worth the freight...

    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Oct 16, 2008
  8. Xxxxx

    Xxxxx Guest

    I mean... I'll buy one when I'm in Europe in March. I wonder if it'd be a
    better deal in Paris or Prague (assuming I can find it in either place). If
    I don't buy a lot of other crap, the duties won't be bad.

    Xxxxx, Oct 16, 2008
  9. Xxxxx

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Xxxxx" <> wrote in message
    >I mean... I'll buy one when I'm in Europe in March. I wonder if it'd be a
    >better deal in Paris or Prague (assuming I can find it in either place). If
    >I don't buy a lot of other crap, the duties won't be bad.
    >
    > --
    > nadie
    > "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Xxxxx" <> wrote in message
    >>> What I heard was "not yet" for North America--maybe in December. But, if
    >>> I can't get one in the U.S., then I'll get one in Europe.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> nadie

    >> Yeah, from what I've read, it's worth the freight...
    >>
    >> Dudley

    The only problem with buying in Europe, regardless whether in person or via
    freight, is possible warranty problems. It's my understanding that cameras
    purchased overseas will not qualify for local warranty if problems arise.

    But, with those features, I'm almost willing to take a chance.

    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Oct 16, 2008
  10. Xxxxx

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    > In article <rHyJk.1355$>,
    > "Xxxxx" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I mean... I'll buy one when I'm in Europe in March. I wonder if it'd be a
    >> better deal in Paris or Prague (assuming I can find it in either place).
    >> If
    >> I don't buy a lot of other crap, the duties won't be bad.

    > The prices over there are very high due to the taxes. They have a VAT
    > instead of an income tax.
    >
    > I love my SX10IS, but I don't plant on shooting HD movies. That is
    > about the only difference.
    >
    > --

    Actually, the big difference is the sensor.

    It is my understanding that the s10 uses a CCD sensor while the SX1 uses a
    CMOS sensor closer to the type used in DSLRs.

    The CMOS sensor could yield better lowlight performance due to lower noise.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Oct 17, 2008
  11. savvo <> wrote:
    >On 2008-10-17, Stephen Henning <> wrote:
    >> In article <rHyJk.1355$>,
    >> "Xxxxx" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I mean... I'll buy one when I'm in Europe in March. I wonder if it'd be a
    >>> better deal in Paris or Prague (assuming I can find it in either place). If
    >>> I don't buy a lot of other crap, the duties won't be bad.

    >> The prices over there are very high due to the taxes. They have a VAT
    >> instead of an income tax.

    >What? I know France has income taxes and I'd be very surprised if the
    >Czech Republic doesn't.

    Not to mention that in most countries the VAT (or at least a large
    portion of it) will be refunded when exporting the goods outside of the
    EU.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Oct 17, 2008
  12. Xxxxx

    measekite Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:55:09 +0000, Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > "Xxxxx" <> wrote in message
    >>I was all set to buy the SX10 IS... but I just read about the SX1 IS.
    >><sigh> Guess I'll wait.
    >>
    >> --
    >> nadie
    >> "Stephen Henning" <> wrote in message

    >>> I bought my SX10IS at Best Buy, over the counter. They matched the best
    >>> mail order price and there was no shipping.
    >>>
    >>> It is a great camera. I am just getting used to it. I am converting
    >>> from a Minolta Z5. The Canon address all the shortcomings of the Z5.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
    >>> Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA - http://rhodyman.net

    > I heard the SX1 won't be available in North America, only Europe and Asia.
    > Has that been changed?
    >
    > Dudley

    Based on what I have read the SX10 is better and cheaper. It has a better
    EVF and another feature that appears more advantageous.

    measekite, Oct 18, 2008
  13. Neil Ellwood wrote:
    []
    > But a foreigner buying a camera in Europe doesn't have to pay VAT but
    > will probably have to pay import duties and/or tax when when he/she
    > gets back home.

    Neil,

    /Everyone/ has to pay VAT - some may be able to claim it back.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 18, 2008
  14. "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >[]
    >> But a foreigner buying a camera in Europe doesn't have to pay VAT but
    >> will probably have to pay import duties and/or tax when when he/she
    >> gets back home.

    >/Everyone/ has to pay VAT - some may be able to claim it back.

    Not quite accurate either. Businesses don't pay VAT on their merchandise
    and they can pre-deduct VAT on goods they consume in their line of
    business (so it's not quite /everyone/), but I agree that most likely
    the OP wasn't interested in opening a commercial import-export business
    for one camera.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Oct 18, 2008
  15. Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >> Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >> []
    >>> But a foreigner buying a camera in Europe doesn't have to pay VAT
    >>> but will probably have to pay import duties and/or tax when when
    >>> he/she gets back home.

    >> /Everyone/ has to pay VAT - some may be able to claim it back.

    > Not quite accurate either. Businesses don't pay VAT on their
    > merchandise and they can pre-deduct VAT on goods they consume in
    > their line of business (so it's not quite /everyone/), but I agree
    > that most likely the OP wasn't interested in opening a commercial
    > import-export business for one camera.
    >
    > jue

    Only perhaps inaccurate if the individual is a single person business
    registered for VAT.

    In fact, certain international organisations are exempt from paying VAT.

    Messy business all told, and the chance for some fraudsters to make a
    profit as well, as I'm sure you know!

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 18, 2008
  16. Xxxxx

    Xxxxx Guest

    Granted that the SX10 is cheaper... (not to mention the fact that the SX1
    won't be available until December). However, this is the first I've heard
    that the SX10 is "better" in any respect other than price. I'd heard that
    the SX1's CMOS sensor lets it perform under lower light conditions and that
    it operates at a faster speed. According to this:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sx1is.asp

    The S1 IS does have an electronic viewfinder, as well. Where did you read
    that the SX10's EVF is better, and what is the "another feature" to which
    you refer?

    --
    nadie

    Xxxxx, Oct 19, 2008
  17. Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 12:54:03 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >> []
    >>> But a foreigner buying a camera in Europe doesn't have to pay VAT
    >>> but will probably have to pay import duties and/or tax when when
    >>> he/she gets back home.

    >> Neil,
    >>
    >> /Everyone/ has to pay VAT - some may be able to claim it back.
    >>
    >> David

    > Not if they have the camera delivered to them at the port/airport for
    > when they are leaving.

    Possibly, pedantically, they aren't actually in any country at that time,
    but in some sort of no man's land - some sort of duty-free zone. I recall
    a story about some person being stuck airside at an airport for lack of
    correct documentation - perhaps that's similar?

    Have you actually had an item delivered to a port or airport? I can only
    imagine that it's a bureaucratic nightmare to the average indivudal!

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 19, 2008
  18. Xxxxx

    measekite Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 03:19:10 +0000, Xxxxx wrote:

    > Granted that the SX10 is cheaper... (not to mention the fact that the SX1
    > won't be available until December). However, this is the first I've heard
    > that the SX10 is "better" in any respect other than price. I'd heard that
    > the SX1's CMOS sensor lets it perform under lower light conditions and that
    > it operates at a faster speed. According to this:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sx1is.asp
    >
    > The S1 IS does have an electronic viewfinder, as well. Where did you read
    > that the SX10's EVF is better, and what is the "another feature" to which
    > you refer?

    Look at the resolution of the EVF.

    Here is another question that I do not understand as well. I like this
    type of camera so do not get me wrong and I bought my S5 over the G9 last
    year.

    But all of the reviews say that the G10 (replacement for the G9) is the
    top Point and Shoot that Canon offers. I thought the S5 and the
    replacement SX10/1 would be at the top of the heap.

    Comments welcome.

    measekite, Oct 19, 2008
  19. Xxxxx

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "measekite" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 03:19:10 +0000, Xxxxx wrote:
    >
    >> Granted that the SX10 is cheaper... (not to mention the fact that the SX1
    >> won't be available until December). However, this is the first I've heard
    >> that the SX10 is "better" in any respect other than price. I'd heard that
    >> the SX1's CMOS sensor lets it perform under lower light conditions and
    >> that
    >> it operates at a faster speed. According to this:
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sx1is.asp
    >>
    >> The S1 IS does have an electronic viewfinder, as well. Where did you read
    >> that the SX10's EVF is better, and what is the "another feature" to which
    >> you refer?

    > Look at the resolution of the EVF.
    >
    > Here is another question that I do not understand as well. I like this
    > type of camera so do not get me wrong and I bought my S5 over the G9 last
    > year.
    >
    > But all of the reviews say that the G10 (replacement for the G9) is the
    > top Point and Shoot that Canon offers. I thought the S5 and the
    > replacement SX10/1 would be at the top of the heap.
    >
    > Comments welcome.

    I'm not great at classifying cameras, but I don't think that the S5 and SX 1
    / 10 are considered point and shoots. Instead, I think they are classified
    as full body cameras.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Oct 19, 2008
  20. Xxxxx

    Xxxxx Guest

    So... the SX10's EVF has higher resolution, but everything else sounds like
    the SX1 wins, particularly if speed (and HD video) matter.

    Xxxxx, Oct 19, 2008