    is severly underexposed images. Recycle time isn't really degraded at
    all at this point. Strange... any flashes I've owned in the past,
    increasing recycle times was the prime indicator of low-battery.

    secheese, Feb 19, 2006

  2. secheese

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 04:20:22 GMT, secheese <> wrote:

    > Just an observation...
    >
    > Anyone else notice that there isn't much of a low-battery warning on
    > the Canon Speedlite 420EX Flash? My first indication of low battery
    > is severly underexposed images. Recycle time isn't really degraded at
    > all at this point. Strange... any flashes I've owned in the past,
    > increasing recycle times was the prime indicator of low-battery.

    Are you using NiMH batteries?

    , Feb 19, 2006

  3. secheese

    Mark² Guest

    secheese wrote:
    > Just an observation...
    >
    > Anyone else notice that there isn't much of a low-battery warning on
    > the Canon Speedlite 420EX Flash? My first indication of low battery
    > is severly underexposed images. Recycle time isn't really degraded at
    > all at this point. Strange... any flashes I've owned in the past,
    > increasing recycle times was the prime indicator of low-battery.

    Under-exposed images have nothing to do with low batteries in the flash.
    The flash will "indicate" low batteries by taking longer to recharge...not
    by flash intensity.
    The flash is either charged and ready for flash...or it's not.
    It doesn't change flash output levels based on battery strength. If that
    were the case, you'd have absolutely zero consistency.

    Your underexposure problem stems from something else...

    Mark², Feb 19, 2006
  4. secheese

    Skip M Guest

    "secheese" <> wrote in message
    > Just an observation...
    >
    > Anyone else notice that there isn't much of a low-battery warning on
    > the Canon Speedlite 420EX Flash? My first indication of low battery
    > is severly underexposed images. Recycle time isn't really degraded at
    > all at this point. Strange... any flashes I've owned in the past,
    > increasing recycle times was the prime indicator of low-battery.

    If you are using the 420EX in rapid sequence, that may cause the
    underexposure. The capacitor overheats and leads to very slow recycle
    times, or incomplete recycles, so the images are underexposed. We had this
    problem a lot when we shot wedding receptions, so we switched to Quantum T4d
    and Canon 580EX flashes.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Feb 20, 2006
  5. secheese

    secheese Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 05:50:07 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 04:20:22 GMT, secheese <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just an observation...
    >>
    >> Anyone else notice that there isn't much of a low-battery warning on
    >> the Canon Speedlite 420EX Flash? My first indication of low battery
    >> is severly underexposed images. Recycle time isn't really degraded at
    >> all at this point. Strange... any flashes I've owned in the past,
    >> increasing recycle times was the prime indicator of low-battery.

    >Are you using NiMH batteries?

    Nope... plain vanilla alkalines.

    secheese, Feb 20, 2006
  6. At least the 430EX does not behave like that.
    Recently I shot during an evening event in a skiing camp with kids.
    There the charging cycles increased after around 80 shots, with
    indirect flashing (flash pointing to the sealing at around 60 degrees).
    Speed was set to 100 ISO (EOS 5D)

    I use 2 sets Ni-MH (Nickel-Metal Hybrid) 1300 mAh.

    The last evening of the camp I made a contest.
    Pictures of only the eye of a kid were projected to the wall and the
    kids had to find out to whom the eye belongs.
    Zooming out in 3 more steps led to the entire face.
    Surprisingly all but one child were guessed right at the first picture.

    And even at the with of more than one meter the eyes were sharp,
    contrasty and brilliant. Often it was possible to see objects/persons
    reflecting in the iris. This actually added much unexpected fun to the
    game.

    Thomas Stalder, Feb 25, 2006