    800 has wider angle(28mm) and 4x zoom compared to 900.
    What would you pick. Will be wife's daily use camera.
    TIA,

    Tony Hwang, Jun 7, 2007

  2. Tony Hwang

    harlen Guest

    "Tony Hwang" <> wrote in message
    news:FkI9i.689$1i1.582@pd7urf3no...
    > Hi,
    > Trying to replace APS Elph with either one. Is 10MP really worthy?
    > 800 has wider angle(28mm) and 4x zoom compared to 900.
    > What would you pick. Will be wife's daily use camera.
    > TIA,

    My daughter really likes the SD800 since it is wide angle. She takes many
    group photos and the printed pictures look good.

    harlen, Jun 7, 2007

  3. Tony Hwang

    Morton Guest

    Tony Hwang wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Trying to replace APS Elph with either one. Is 10MP really worthy?
    > 800 has wider angle(28mm) and 4x zoom compared to 900.
    > What would you pick. Will be wife's daily use camera.
    > TIA,

    Hi,

    Not only is the wider angle very helpful, but the IS also helps a lot
    when shooting with low light conditions. It is a true image stabilizer,
    not a mere higher-ISO-fake. I am enjoying my SD800 IS very much,
    including its very good image quality.

    Morton

    Morton, Jun 7, 2007
  4. Tony Hwang

    Bucky Guest

    On Jun 6, 7:05 pm, Morton <> wrote:
    > Not only is the wider angle very helpful, but the IS also helps a lot
    > when shooting with low light conditions. It is a true image stabilizer,
    > not a mere higher-ISO-fake. I am enjoying my SD800 IS very much,
    > including its very good image quality.

    replacing an APS? Is this your first digital camera?

    Like CPU clock speed, megapixels are not indicative of camera
    performance anymore. I don't own either camera, but I took a look at
    the side by side specs.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...de&cameras=canon_sd800is,canon_sd900&show=all

    I agree that wider angle (28mm vs 37mm) is a plus for the 800. This
    will come in handy for indoor shots where you're trying to get a group
    of people in the frame.

    I also agree that image stabilization is a big plus.

    And you can save about $50.

    I'd say the only positive about the 900 is the larger sensor size.

    Bucky, Jun 7, 2007
  5. Tony Hwang

    Morton Guest

    Tony Hwang wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Trying to replace APS Elph with either one. Is 10MP really worthy?
    > 800 has wider angle(28mm) and 4x zoom compared to 900.
    > What would you pick. Will be wife's daily use camera.
    > TIA,

    Regarding Bucky's reply, a higher number of pixels on the sensor does
    not at all guarantee that the sensor is larger. Indeed, that is a
    problem, crowding a large number of pixels onto a tiny sensor.

    Morton

    Morton, Jun 7, 2007
  6. Tony Hwang

    Bucky Guest

    On Jun 7, 10:35 am, Morton <> wrote:
    > Regarding Bucky's reply, a higher number of pixels on the sensor does
    > not at all guarantee that the sensor is larger. Indeed, that is a
    > problem, crowding a large number of pixels onto a tiny sensor.

    Well, in the case of the SD800 vs SD900, the SD900 CCD is actually
    larger.

    Bucky, Jun 8, 2007
  7. Tony Hwang

    Morton Guest

    Bucky wrote:
    > On Jun 7, 10:35 am, Morton <> wrote:
    >> Regarding Bucky's reply, a higher number of pixels on the sensor does
    >> not at all guarantee that the sensor is larger. Indeed, that is a
    >> problem, crowding a large number of pixels onto a tiny sensor.

    > Well, in the case of the SD800 vs SD900, the SD900 CCD is actually
    > larger.

    That is good.

    Morton

    Morton, Jun 8, 2007
  8. Tony Hwang

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Morton wrote:
    > Bucky wrote:
    >
    >> On Jun 7, 10:35 am, Morton <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Regarding Bucky's reply, a higher number of pixels on the sensor does
    >>> not at all guarantee that the sensor is larger. Indeed, that is a
    >>> problem, crowding a large number of pixels onto a tiny sensor.

    >> Well, in the case of the SD800 vs SD900, the SD900 CCD is actually
    >> larger.
    >>

    > That is good.
    >
    > Morton

    Hi,
    Thanks, picked up a SD800 with extra 2GB card and battery.
    Wife is happy.
    Tony

    Tony Hwang, Jun 10, 2007