Canon SD700 IS?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Guest, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    15
    Ok so after my first thread I contemplated an entry DSLR camera like
    the Canon Rebel XT and decided I'm just not ready for something that
    expensive (with all the extra lenses and accessories), or bulky. So
    like I said before, I like my Canon SD400 but my main problem is
    blurriness from camera movement when shooting low iso indoor shots in
    less than ideal light.. i dont like flash or grainy higher iso shots,
    i'd rather take 3-4 shots of something with a low iso, high exposure
    and no flash and cross my fingers that at least one turns out sharp.
    The image stabilization on the SD700 looks like it might be able to
    help with that a lot..? The other time I experience blur is when
    shooting outdoors, I like to shoot panorama's with my optical zoom
    maxed, i end up with very large detailed shots.. its also much easier
    to blur a shot when zoomed in, especially if i'm on top of a mountain
    or a sand dune and its windy.. so again I'm hoping this is something
    the image stabilization would help with...? The extra megapixel and 4x
    zoom over my current 3x zoom should also give the pictures greater
    detail as well which is a bonus.

    So to those of you who've tested or own the SD700, will the IS make a
    noticable difference? It would be nice to shoot a 20 picture panorama
    and not have to worry that maybe one of the pictures is blurry, or be
    nice to just take one shot indoors in low light/iso instead of three to
    get a usable picture.. not sure if i'm overestimating the capabilities
    of this feature, just going by what some reviews have led me to
    believe.

    Thanks

    Guest, Sep 2, 2006

  2. I have owned an SD400 and it was a good camera. I now have an SD700 IS and
    it's better at some things. The higher ISO capability and the IS do help
    with low light and shaky hands. That said, it's not magic. It's just better
    than not having it.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Sep 3, 2006

  3. Guest

    bitwisebob Guest

    On 2 Sep 2006 10:32:30 -0700, wrote:

    >So to those of you who've tested or own the SD700, will the IS make a
    >noticable difference?

    it makes a difference on the S1 IS and S3 IS cameras, I have those.
    The SD700 IS looks nice, I like the Elph size, and have the S100 and
    S410. I would buy one if I had the extra money.... hope you get
    other comments here to answer your question.

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    bitwisebob, Sep 3, 2006
  4. Guest

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "David Sommers" <> writes:
    > I have owned an SD400 and it was a good camera. I now have an SD700 IS and
    > it's better at some things. The higher ISO capability and the IS do help
    > with low light and shaky hands. That said, it's not magic. It's just better
    > than not having it.

    Well, to ask the obvious given the other thread, how much does the
    SD700 IS help at the wideangle settings? I'm sort of interested in
    the A710 once it becomes available.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 3, 2006
  5. Guest

    Mark² Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "David Sommers" <> writes:
    >> I have owned an SD400 and it was a good camera. I now have an SD700
    >> IS and it's better at some things. The higher ISO capability and the
    >> IS do help with low light and shaky hands. That said, it's not
    >> magic. It's just better than not having it.

    > Well, to ask the obvious given the other thread, how much does the
    > SD700 IS help at the wideangle settings? I'm sort of interested in
    > the A710 once it becomes available.

    It makes a difference...unless your sight is as poor as Rita's...
    ...at which point, "It matters not one wit if you focus, hold steady, or
    forget to turn IS on.
    It's all the same, I tell ya!" -Rita
    :)
    Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Sep 3, 2006
  6. Mark² wrote:

    >> Well, to ask the obvious given the other thread, how much does the
    >> SD700 IS help at the wideangle settings? I'm sort of interested in
    >> the A710 once it becomes available.

    > It makes a difference...unless your sight is as poor as Rita's...
    > ...at which point, "It matters not one wit if you focus, hold
    > steady, or forget to turn IS on.
    > It's all the same, I tell ya!" -Rita

    LOL! Thank you for pointing out an aspect of your problem that I never even
    considered, poor eyesight. Maybe you should try wearing corrective lenses
    to cure this problem, Mark.

    Paul, I would buy whatever system you feel best and not worry too much about
    how well people claim IS works. The issue is IS does work in most
    situations and shouldn't be thought of as a replacement for using good
    technique. It's all seamless when you combine good technique with IS. Use
    the switch.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 3, 2006
  7. Guest

    Mark² Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >
    >>> Well, to ask the obvious given the other thread, how much does the
    >>> SD700 IS help at the wideangle settings? I'm sort of interested in
    >>> the A710 once it becomes available.

    >> It makes a difference...unless your sight is as poor as Rita's...
    >> ...at which point, "It matters not one wit if you focus, hold
    >> steady, or forget to turn IS on.
    >> It's all the same, I tell ya!" -Rita

    > LOL! Thank you for pointing out an aspect of your problem that I
    > never even considered, poor eyesight. Maybe you should try wearing
    > corrective lenses to cure this problem, Mark.

    20-13 vision, chum.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Sep 3, 2006
  8. Guest

    QX Guest

    On 2 Sep 2006 10:32:30 -0700, wrote:
    >I like to shoot panorama's with my optical zoom
    >maxed, i end up with very large detailed shots.. its also much easier
    >to blur a shot when zoomed in, especially if i'm on top of a mountain
    >or a sand dune and its windy.. so again I'm hoping this is something
    >the image stabilization would help with...? The extra megapixel and 4x
    >zoom over my current 3x zoom should also give the pictures greater
    >detail as well which is a bonus.

    What trick do you use so as not to lose your horizontal perspective
    point? When I shoot 10+ image panoramas, I find that by the time I get
    back to the starting point, I have dropped my reference point and
    stitching results in a lot of top/bottom loss. I have started carrying
    a small tripod and set it up on a tree stump or rockpile. I find the
    tripod eliminates shake & keeps the reference point equal on all
    images.
    BTW, I use <autostitch> to do the image manipulation. What are you
    using?

    QX, Sep 3, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    15
    QX wrote:
    > On 2 Sep 2006 10:32:30 -0700, wrote:
    > >I like to shoot panorama's with my optical zoom
    > >maxed, i end up with very large detailed shots.. its also much easier
    > >to blur a shot when zoomed in, especially if i'm on top of a mountain
    > >or a sand dune and its windy.. so again I'm hoping this is something
    > >the image stabilization would help with...? The extra megapixel and 4x
    > >zoom over my current 3x zoom should also give the pictures greater
    > >detail as well which is a bonus.

    > What trick do you use so as not to lose your horizontal perspective
    > point? When I shoot 10+ image panoramas, I find that by the time I get
    > back to the starting point, I have dropped my reference point and
    > stitching results in a lot of top/bottom loss. I have started carrying
    > a small tripod and set it up on a tree stump or rockpile. I find the
    > tripod eliminates shake & keeps the reference point equal on all
    > images.
    > BTW, I use <autostitch> to do the image manipulation. What are you
    > using?

    most times im not carrying a pack so i rarely use a tripod, i usually
    do it twice so i generally always get what i need. i always end up back
    at my starting point or where i want to be, i don't know, thats never
    been a problem for me. i also overlap a fair amount on the vertical
    just to be safe. i just take my picture then look in the viewfinder for
    a reference point on the right hand side of the picture, move my camera
    over so that reference is in the same vertical position but on the left
    hand side of the shot, and take my next picture, and so on.. i also use
    autostitch, its amazing.

    Guest, Sep 3, 2006
  10. Guest

    Guest

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    15
    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "David Sommers" <> writes:
    > > I have owned an SD400 and it was a good camera. I now have an SD700 IS and
    > > it's better at some things. The higher ISO capability and the IS do help
    > > with low light and shaky hands. That said, it's not magic. It's just better
    > > than not having it.

    > Well, to ask the obvious given the other thread, how much does the
    > SD700 IS help at the wideangle settings? I'm sort of interested in
    > the A710 once it becomes available.

    this show just how little i know but, what are the 'wideangle settings'?

    Guest, Sep 3, 2006
  11. Guest

    m Ransley Guest

    Your blurryness might be to light a tripod, to heavy a finger or poor
    focus, in daylight speed should be fine, you might try the self timer
    and a heavy tripod as you mention wind affecting the photos, light
    tripods get moved easily in wind. For what you shoot I dont see the
    I.S., extra mp, extra 1x zoom as being a choise that will really be the
    best. The resolution, LPH, of the 700 may be near what you have now apx
    1500 LPH. I have a H5 but the higher resolution of the FZ30 apx 1800 LPH
    [near that of the 350d], 12x zoom, very good IS and 8mp to be an
    improvement that will help your style. Read dpreview and find Resolution
    test results you will be suprised what you find. The fz50 will be out
    soon so the fz30 will drop

    m Ransley, Sep 3, 2006
  12. Guest

    m Ransley Guest

    I thought you were using a tripod, unless you do you wont get the full
    potential out of any camera, even one with IS.

    m Ransley, Sep 3, 2006
  13. Guest

    Guest

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    15
    m Ransley wrote:
    > Your blurryness might be to light a tripod, to heavy a finger or poor
    > focus, in daylight speed should be fine, you might try the self timer
    > and a heavy tripod as you mention wind affecting the photos, light
    > tripods get moved easily in wind. For what you shoot I dont see the
    > I.S., extra mp, extra 1x zoom as being a choise that will really be the
    > best. The resolution, LPH, of the 700 may be near what you have now apx
    > 1500 LPH. I have a H5 but the higher resolution of the FZ30 apx 1800 LPH
    > [near that of the 350d], 12x zoom, very good IS and 8mp to be an
    > improvement that will help your style. Read dpreview and find Resolution
    > test results you will be suprised what you find. The fz50 will be out
    > soon so the fz30 will drop

    by resolution are you talking of the jpgs it produces? if so the 400 is
    2,592 x 1,944 and the 700 is 2,816 x 2,112. i'm thinking maybe i'm
    better off with the A710 IS, 7mp, 6x zoom, bulkier but also has manual
    controls..? i looked at the s3 but reviews say its very noisy at low
    iso's.. it would be nice to find an 8mp camera with like 10x zoom,
    image stabilization, video functions, manual functions so i can learn
    how it all works if i want to, great low light performance and the
    ability to shoot action shots well.. that takes great pictures, for
    under $600. i've looked at a bunch of them on the depreview size,
    including the fz30 which looks great except its noisy even at iso 80
    which is simply unnacceptable, if i'm going to pay a lot for a camera i
    would expect clean shots up to iso 200 at a minimum..

    Guest, Sep 3, 2006
  14. Guest

    m Ransley Guest

    By resolution I mean how good the lens- sensor realy are at resolving
    fine detail, mp means nothing in a true comparison, look at dpreview and
    under Performance or Comparison are true LPH tests. I use a Sony H5
    which im sure is on par or better than the 700IS you are looking at as
    well is the S3iS, Sony makes alot of canons ccds and keeps one more mp
    for themselves. Noise of the Fz30 may be taken a bit far by reviewers
    when using iso 80-100 and the camera has a better higher resolving lens
    then the competition. But the Fz50 is comming out and that is an area
    they addresed.

    m Ransley, Sep 3, 2006
  15. Guest

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> writes:
    > Paul, I would buy whatever system you feel best and not worry too much about
    > how well people claim IS works. The issue is IS does work in most
    > situations and shouldn't be thought of as a replacement for using good
    > technique.

    Hmm, I have an A530, which is very similar to the A710 except it has a
    shorter zoom (which I don't care about) and doesn't have IS. I'm
    thinking of upgrading to an A710 specifically because there's a very
    common type of handheld wideangle shot that I take, where I have
    problems with blur despite careful shooting. And anyway, I'd like to
    be able to shoot less carefully, which after all is the whole point of
    a P&S camera. So I'm wondering if IS will help.

    The A530 also has a smaller LCD screen and doesn't accept accessory
    lenses, both of which also make me want to upgrade. But if it were
    just about those issues I'd probably get an A540, since the shorter
    zoom means it uses 52mm accessories instead of 58mm. I somewhat
    regret not getting an A540 in the first place.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 3, 2006
  16. Mark² wrote:

    >> LOL! Thank you for pointing out an aspect of your problem that I
    >> never even considered, poor eyesight. Maybe you should try wearing
    >> corrective lenses to cure this problem, Mark.

    > 20-13 vision, chum.

    Just as I thought, legally blind.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 3, 2006
  17. Guest

    Mark² Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >
    >>> LOL! Thank you for pointing out an aspect of your problem that I
    >>> never even considered, poor eyesight. Maybe you should try wearing
    >>> corrective lenses to cure this problem, Mark.

    >> 20-13 vision, chum.

    > Just as I thought, legally blind.

    I hope you're kidding...
    Just in case you're not...20-13 is a couple notches better than
    20-20...chum.
    :)

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Sep 3, 2006
  18. Guest

    Guest

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    15
    m Ransley wrote:
    > By resolution I mean how good the lens- sensor realy are at resolving
    > fine detail, mp means nothing in a true comparison, look at dpreview and
    > under Performance or Comparison are true LPH tests. I use a Sony H5
    > which im sure is on par or better than the 700IS you are looking at as
    > well is the S3iS, Sony makes alot of canons ccds and keeps one more mp
    > for themselves. Noise of the Fz30 may be taken a bit far by reviewers
    > when using iso 80-100 and the camera has a better higher resolving lens
    > then the competition. But the Fz50 is comming out and that is an area
    > they addresed.

    sd700:

    Horizontal LPH
    Absolute resolution 1400 LPH
    Extinction resolution 1650 LPH

    Vertical LPH
    Absolute resolution 1500 LPH
    Extinction resolution 1800 LPH*

    sd400:

    Horizontal LPH 1350 1550
    Vertical LPH *1400 *1650

    *moire visible.

    so does this mean the sd700 is only a 10% increase in resolution
    despite there being a 20% increase in mp from 5 to 6? if the fz50
    addresses the noisy pictures then it seems like the ideal camera,
    although it is quite big.. i might just end up compromising and getting
    the a710 which is still very compact and is also fairly powerful and
    has manual controls (i think?). i wonder why it only has 7mp when the
    a640 has 10mp..

    Guest, Sep 3, 2006