    TIA

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Jul 22, 2007

  2. In article
    <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    Ockham's Razor <> wrote:

    > Has anyone had any experience with the Canon 8600 F scanner for film?
    > It has almost un-believable resolution, USB 2 and a kajillion colors at
    > a very reasonable price.
    >
    > I have a Nikon film scanner for slides and film strips so that possible
    > need is not an issue.
    >
    > TIA

    Whoops, should have said for prints and pictures.

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Jul 22, 2007

  3. Ockham's Razor

    Bob Williams Guest

    Ockham's Razor wrote:
    > In article
    > <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    > Ockham's Razor <> wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone had any experience with the Canon 8600 F scanner for film?
    >> It has almost un-believable resolution, USB 2 and a kajillion colors at
    >> a very reasonable price.
    >>
    >> I have a Nikon film scanner for slides and film strips so that possible
    >> need is not an issue.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Whoops, should have said for prints and pictures.

    I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or two
    older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles slides
    better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide scanner
    Priced right too.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jul 22, 2007
  4. Ockham's Razor

    Gladiator Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:13:46 -0700, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    >I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or two
    >older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles slides
    >better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide scanner
    >Priced right too.
    >Bob Williams

    I can't find that scanner locally but they have the Canon CanoScan
    Scanner (CS8600F). Is that one better or about the same?

    Gladiator, Jul 22, 2007
  5. Ockham's Razor

    Bob Williams Guest

    Gladiator wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:13:46 -0700, Bob Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or two
    >> older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles slides
    >> better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide scanner
    >> Priced right too.
    >> Bob Williams

    > I can't find that scanner locally but they have the Canon CanoScan
    > Scanner (CS8600F). Is that one better or about the same?

    The 8400F is a discontinued model. Manufacturers do this routinely, so
    they can introduce a NEW Model. In this case the NEW model is the 8600F.
    I've never used it but I would suspect that it is at least as good as
    the 8400F and the price is only slightly higher.

    One thing I like about the 8400F is that I can purchase brand new
    Generic ink cartridges for about 1/3 the price of Canon cartridges.
    I have printed the same picture on the same Glossy photo paper, using
    Canon and Generic ink. I could not see ANY difference.
    Even after sitting around in my office for months, I still see no
    difference.
    I've never checked whether Generic ink cartridges are available for the
    8600F. Sometimes the manufacturer will introduce a tiny physical change
    in the cartridge so cartridges from the previous model do not fit.
    It takes the Generic ink providers a while to tool up to make the new
    cartridges. By that time, another "New and Improved" model is
    introduced. It is a cat and mouse game. :)
    Check http://www.mrinkman or http://www.printpal to see if they have
    generics available for the 8600F.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jul 22, 2007
  6. In article <gHOoi.31919$>,
    Bob Williams <> wrote:

    > Gladiator wrote:
    > > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:13:46 -0700, Bob Williams
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or two
    > >> older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles slides
    > >> better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide scanner
    > >> Priced right too.
    > >> Bob Williams

    > > I can't find that scanner locally but they have the Canon CanoScan
    > > Scanner (CS8600F). Is that one better or about the same?

    I think it is the same thing. Check the Canon web site.

    > One thing I like about the 8400F is that I can purchase brand new
    > Generic ink cartridges for about 1/3 the price of Canon cartridges.
    > I have printed the same picture on the same Glossy photo paper, using
    > Canon and Generic ink. I could not see ANY difference.
    > Even after sitting around in my office for months, I still see no
    > difference.

    Er, I think we are discussing scanners not printers.

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Jul 22, 2007
  7. Ockham's Razor

    The Real Bev Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    > Ockham's Razor wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    >> Ockham's Razor <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone had any experience with the Canon 8600 F scanner for film?
    >>> It has almost un-believable resolution, USB 2 and a kajillion colors at
    >>> a very reasonable price.
    >>>
    >>> I have a Nikon film scanner for slides and film strips so that possible
    >>> need is not an issue.
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> Whoops, should have said for prints and pictures.
    >>

    > I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or two
    > older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles slides
    > better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide scanner
    > Priced right too.

    I'm happy with my 8400F. I've done b+w and color prints, 30-year-old 2.25
    and 35mm slides and negs and everything has worked nicely. Even using it as
    a copier is good, although it certainly takes too long -- but not as long as
    going down to the copying place.

    Earlier I bought a Prime-mumble 35mm slide/film scanner from Costco, but the
    Canon is WAYYYY better.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Jul 23, 2007
  8. Ockham's Razor

    Bob Williams Guest

    Ockham's Razor wrote:
    > In article <gHOoi.31919$>,
    > Bob Williams <> wrote:
    >
    >> Gladiator wrote:

    >>> I can't find that scanner locally but they have the Canon CanoScan
    >>> Scanner (CS8600F). Is that one better or about the same?

    > I think it is the same thing. Check the Canon web site.
    >
    >> One thing I like about the 8400F is that I can purchase brand new
    >> Generic ink cartridges for about 1/3 the price of Canon cartridges.
    >> I have printed the same picture on the same Glossy photo paper, using
    >> Canon and Generic ink. I could not see ANY difference.
    >> Even after sitting around in my office for months, I still see no
    >> difference.

    > Er, I think we are discussing scanners not printers.

    Mea Culpa! I must have had an attack of Attention Deficit Disorder :)
    I have the Canon 8400F SCANNER and the Canon Pixma iP3000 PRINTER
    Both are excellent devices at a very good price.
    As you noticed, the ink comments, of necessity, refer to the printer not
    the scanner.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jul 23, 2007
  9. Ockham's Razor

    Gladiator Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:00:21 -0700, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    >One thing I like about the 8400F is that I can purchase brand new
    >Generic ink cartridges for about 1/3 the price of Canon cartridges.

    Ink? We are talking scanners, no?

    Gladiator, Jul 23, 2007
  10. Ockham's Razor

    Gladiator Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:58:13 -0700, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    >Mea Culpa! I must have had an attack of Attention Deficit Disorder :)
    >I have the Canon 8400F SCANNER and the Canon Pixma iP3000 PRINTER
    >Both are excellent devices at a very good price.
    >As you noticed, the ink comments, of necessity, refer to the printer not
    >the scanner.
    >Bob Williams

    Hehe..you had a brain fart.

    Gladiator, Jul 23, 2007
  11. On 2007-07-22 16:23:03 -0700, The Real Bev <> said:

    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >
    >> Ockham's Razor wrote:

    >>> Whoops, should have said for prints and pictures.
    >>>

    >> I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or
    >> two older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles
    >> slides better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide
    >> scanner
    >> Priced right too.

    > I'm happy with my 8400F. I've done b+w and color prints, 30-year-old
    > 2.25 and 35mm slides and negs and everything has worked nicely. Even
    > using it as a copier is good, although it certainly takes too long --
    > but not as long as going down to the copying place.
    >
    > Earlier I bought a Prime-mumble 35mm slide/film scanner from Costco,
    > but the Canon is WAYYYY better.

    What's the resolution you get from a scan of a 35mm slide with this
    scanner?? The canon site states 4800 x 9600 but isn't that for the
    entire bed of the scanner?
    --

    thepixelfreak

    thepixelfreak, Jul 24, 2007
  12. Ockham's Razor

    Bob Williams Guest

    thepixelfreak wrote:
    > On 2007-07-22 16:23:03 -0700, The Real Bev <>
    > said:
    >
    >> Bob Williams wrote:

    >>> I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or
    >>> two older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles
    >>> slides better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide
    >>> scanner
    >>> Priced right too.

    >> I'm happy with my 8400F. I've done b+w and color prints, 30-year-old
    >> 2.25 and 35mm slides and negs and everything has worked nicely. Even
    >> using it as a copier is good, although it certainly takes too long --
    >> but not as long as going down to the copying place.
    >>
    >> Earlier I bought a Prime-mumble 35mm slide/film scanner from Costco,
    >> but the Canon is WAYYYY better.

    > What's the resolution you get from a scan of a 35mm slide with this
    > scanner?? The canon site states 4800 x 9600 but isn't that for the
    > entire bed of the scanner?

    No! The 4800 x 9600 figures quoted are in DPI (dots per inch).
    However, that resolution may involve a fair amount of interpolation.
    I doubt that it is real OPTICAL resolution.
    Even if the manufacturer claimed it,I would be wary of such a claim.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jul 25, 2007