    think I need to scan a "test" sheet to confirm my issue with Canon. I
    know its not a dedicated film scanner, but I thought I would get great
    detail with those scan specifications.

    m Ransley, Apr 6, 2006

  2. "m Ransley" <> wrote:
    > I have a Canon mp950 scanner- printer. It scans at 3200x6400,
    > interpolated to 19200x19200. Set at 3200 scanning 100asa color film or
    > kodachrome 25 slides it is not sharp at all, not as sharp as original
    > prints. less sharp than my 5mp Sony W5. I used an A1 , 24-35 aspherical
    > lens , tripod, cable release. Printing is not the issue, It printed a
    > 1/32th" test line on a 8.5x11 reduced to a 1" photo so small it is, I
    > needed a magnefying glass to see it [amazing detail] Is my scanner
    > defective, not focusing, or is this all I can expect from my scanner. I
    > think I need to scan a "test" sheet to confirm my issue with Canon. I
    > know its not a dedicated film scanner, but I thought I would get great
    > detail with those scan specifications.

    The flatbed scanners simply aren't up to the task of making a quality 8.5 x
    11 print from 35mm. You need something on the order of a current Nikon film
    scanner (V or 5000), or maybe the Konica-Minolta 5400 scanner (if it's still
    in production).

    The new Epson V700 and V750 might get a bit closer. Maybe.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 6, 2006

  3. m Ransley wrote:
    > I have a Canon mp950 scanner- printer. It scans at 3200x6400,
    > interpolated to 19200x19200. Set at 3200 scanning 100asa color film or
    > kodachrome 25 slides it is not sharp at all, not as sharp as original
    > prints. less sharp than my 5mp Sony W5. I used an A1 , 24-35
    > aspherical lens , tripod, cable release. Printing is not the issue,
    > It printed a 1/32th" test line on a 8.5x11 reduced to a 1" photo so
    > small it is, I needed a magnefying glass to see it [amazing detail]
    > Is my scanner defective, not focusing, or is this all I can expect
    > from my scanner. I think I need to scan a "test" sheet to confirm my
    > issue with Canon. I know its not a dedicated film scanner, but I
    > thought I would get great detail with those scan specifications.

    I use a Konica-Minolta Dimage Scan-Dual 3 and get excellent results,
    dependant on the quality of the original slide/negative of course.

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Apr 6, 2006
  4. m Ransley

    Nick Walster Guest

    snip
    >m Ransley wrote:
    >> I have a Canon mp950 scanner- printer. It scans at 3200x6400,
    >> interpolated to 19200x19200. Set at 3200 scanning 100asa color film or
    >> kodachrome 25 slides it is not sharp at all, not as sharp as original
    >> prints. less sharp than my 5mp Sony W5. I used an A1 , 24-35
    >> aspherical lens , tripod, cable release. Printing is not the issue,
    >> It printed a 1/32th" test line on a 8.5x11 reduced to a 1" photo so
    >> small it is, I needed a magnefying glass to see it [amazing detail]
    >> Is my scanner defective, not focusing, or is this all I can expect
    >> from my scanner. I think I need to scan a "test" sheet to confirm my
    >> issue with Canon. I know its not a dedicated film scanner, but I
    >> thought I would get great detail with those scan specifications.

    Unless you shoot in RAW your Sony will employ sharpening algorithms in
    camera after taking the picture. (If you shoot RAW you still need in
    computer sharpening )

    If you scan a picture it is not unusual to use a image processing
    program to sharpen. This does not add detail but sharpens the image.
    Most programs have sharpening filters - 'unsharp mask' is a good one
    unless you have some intelligent sharpening filter, which is better.

    As a general rule do not sharpen a lossy image such as jpeg, stick to
    tif, png or whatever - you'll get artifacts

    This may help

    --
    Nick Walster

    Nick Walster, Apr 6, 2006
  5. m Ransley

    m Ransley Guest

    Nick so I should not save slide scans as jpeg?

    I think I need to do a test with Canons direction to see if this unit
    is scanning -focusing at its optimum. But im sure there is good reason
    everyone recommends Nikon dedicated film units

    m Ransley, Apr 6, 2006
  6. m Ransley

    Nick Walster Guest

    On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 07:02:30 -0500, (m Ransley)
    wrote:

    >Nick so I should not save slide scans as jpeg?

    Not if you're going to perform any image processing afterwards, as
    jpegs achieve size reduction by throwing away some of the goodness. If
    you're going to put them into a Word document or a slide show then it
    probably doesn't matter

    Nick Walster, Apr 6, 2006
  7. m Ransley

    tomm42 Guest

    Just got a V700, the slides aren't as sharp as my Nikon LS2000, very
    close though, the slides from the V700 have better dynamic range. The
    scanning is fast the scanner has Digital Ice, can take 12 slides at a
    time. I have been using the Epson Scan program it comes with Silverfast
    SE also.

    Tom

    tomm42, Apr 6, 2006