    Joe

    PS: Apparently Panasonic ships the first S80s today.
    , Oct 7, 2005

  2. On 7 Oct 2005 12:01:25 -0700, <> wrote:
    > I see that the FZ5 would be more ergonomic when shooting,
    > and the S80 would be more ergonomic when not shooting.
    > (It seems truly pocketable).
    > The FZ5 has image stabilizaton. The S80 has more
    > pixels, has a real view-finder, and a bigger LCD
    > screen. The FZ has a much better zoom range.
    > Now that I've been pointed to the dpreview site,
    > I'm impatient to hear what they say about the S80,
    > though the slightly bigger, older S70 was much admired.
    > Have I missed anything obvious or predictable?
    > thanks for your thoughts,

    They're different cameras, aimed at different markets. Better to compare
    the FZ5 with the Canon S2IS, or compare the S80 with the Panasonic LX1.
    Those would be apples-to-apples comparisons (5 Mp superzooms for the
    first pair, 8 Mp compacts for the second pair).

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 7, 2005

  3. Guest

    thanks, but there is only one market, it's me; and
    in my ignorance, I am trying to collect the differences
    to make my choice between these two cameras.
    Joe
    , Oct 7, 2005
  4. On 7 Oct 2005 12:33:53 -0700, <> wrote:
    > thanks, but there is only one market, it's me; and
    > in my ignorance, I am trying to collect the differences
    > to make my choice between these two cameras.

    The primary difference between the two is the lens. Do you anticipate
    needing/wanting a long optical zoom, or would you prefer a smaller,
    lighter lens (the weight of the S80 is half that of the FZ5)? I have an
    FZ5 and I'm very happy with it, but even though it's small compared to
    an SLR, it's larger than a lot of compact cameras.

    Some other things to bear in mind, some of which may be irrelevant
    based on the sorts of pictures you envision taking:

    The S80 has a wider wide-angle limit than the FZ5, so if landscapes and
    other panoramic shots will make up a large chunk of your photography,
    that's a point in favor of the Canon.

    The FZ5 has a faster (wider aperture) lens over most of the zoom range.
    Combined with the image stabilizer, this means that the FZ5 will cope
    better for handheld photos in lower light conditions.

    Canon makes a waterproof case that will install over the S80, allowing
    simple underwater photography. As far as I know, nothing of the sort is
    available for the FZ5.

    The FZ5 has a fairly fast (for a consumer camera) burst mode, about 3
    frames per second. The S80, according to Canon's spec sheet, is somewhat
    slower, topping out at 1.8 fps.

    FZ5 movie mode is low resolution (320x240), whereas the S80 supports
    higher-res movies.

    Price. Street price for the FZ5 is around $450-500, for the S80 around
    $550 or so.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 7, 2005
  5. Guest

    thanks very much for the points!
    Joe
    , Oct 7, 2005
  6. Jem Raid Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > thanks very much for the points!
    > Joe

    A bit OT but .........

    I belong to a small digital photography group we have two people with
    Panasonics one with an FZ30 (just bought it) and one with an FZ5. Looking at
    two portraits last week, not of the same person alas, the FZ5 one is more
    detailed and sharper.

    They are going to do a side by side comparison and some A4 prints.

    I'm saving up to buy an FZ5.

    Jem

    ------------------------
    My Photopolymer Etchings;
    http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/j/jimread
    Jem Raid, Oct 8, 2005
  7. Guest

  8. Guest

    excuse me for mistakes....but in site you can to find a right
    example..hi
    , Oct 8, 2005
  9. Jem Raid wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> thanks very much for the points!
    >> Joe
    >>

    > A bit OT but .........
    >
    > I belong to a small digital photography group we have two people with
    > Panasonics one with an FZ30 (just bought it) and one with an FZ5.
    > Looking at two portraits last week, not of the same person alas, the
    > FZ5 one is more detailed and sharper.
    >
    > They are going to do a side by side comparison and some A4 prints.
    >
    > I'm saving up to buy an FZ5.
    >
    > Jem

    You won't regret the FZ5 - it's a delight.

    When comparing the portraits, were they taken under identical conditions?
    Perhaps not. The FZ30 has twice the pixels of the FZ5 so, given a tripod
    and adequate stopped-down lens, should produce the sharper image.

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 9, 2005
  10. measekite Guest

    The choice is simple and difficult. If the FZ5 is still larger and more
    bulky where you would be far more inclined to leave it home then the S80
    is the better choice; however, if that is not the case then the FZ5 will
    produce better results in more situations and the 5mp will produce 8x10
    enlargements without much difference as the S80.

    The FZ5 appears more flexible and versatile as long as you use it.

    measekite, Oct 10, 2005
  11. measekite Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    >On 7 Oct 2005 12:33:53 -0700, <> wrote:
    >

    >>thanks, but there is only one market, it's me; and
    >>in my ignorance, I am trying to collect the differences
    >>to make my choice between these two cameras.
    >>

    >The primary difference between the two is the lens. Do you anticipate
    >needing/wanting a long optical zoom, or would you prefer a smaller,
    >lighter lens (the weight of the S80 is half that of the FZ5)? I have an
    >FZ5 and I'm very happy with it, but even though it's small compared to
    >an SLR, it's larger than a lot of compact cameras.
    >
    >Some other things to bear in mind, some of which may be irrelevant
    >based on the sorts of pictures you envision taking:
    >
    >The S80 has a wider wide-angle limit than the FZ5, so if landscapes and
    >other panoramic shots will make up a large chunk of your photography,
    >that's a point in favor of the Canon.

    Good point.

    >The FZ5 has a faster (wider aperture) lens over most of the zoom range.
    >Combined with the image stabilizer, this means that the FZ5 will cope
    >better for handheld photos in lower light conditions.
    >
    >Canon makes a waterproof case that will install over the S80, allowing
    >simple underwater photography. As far as I know, nothing of the sort is
    >available for the FZ5.
    >
    >The FZ5 has a fairly fast (for a consumer camera) burst mode, about 3
    >frames per second. The S80, according to Canon's spec sheet, is somewhat
    >slower, topping out at 1.8 fps.
    >
    >FZ5 movie mode is low resolution (320x240), whereas the S80 supports
    >higher-res movies.
    >
    >Price. Street price for the FZ5 is around $450-500, for the S80 around
    >$550 or so.
    >
    >-dms

    The S70 will do about as well as the S80. for less money
    measekite, Oct 10, 2005
  12. measekite Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    >Jem Raid wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>thanks very much for the points!
    >>>Joe
    >>>

    >>A bit OT but .........
    >>
    >>I belong to a small digital photography group we have two people with
    >>Panasonics one with an FZ30 (just bought it) and one with an FZ5.
    >>Looking at two portraits last week, not of the same person alas, the
    >>FZ5 one is more detailed and sharper.
    >>
    >>They are going to do a side by side comparison and some A4 prints.
    >>
    >>I'm saving up to buy an FZ5.
    >>
    >>Jem
    >>

    >You won't regret the FZ5 - it's a delight.
    >
    >When comparing the portraits, were they taken under identical conditions?
    >Perhaps not. The FZ30 has twice the pixels of the FZ5 so, given a tripod
    >and adequate stopped-down lens, should produce the sharper image.
    >
    >David

    Most people will not use a tripod with either camera. The question I
    have is with the same settings would you see any significant difference
    in a moderately cropped 8.5x11?

    measekite, Oct 10, 2005
  13. ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:25:54 GMT, measekite wrote:

    > The S70 will do about as well as the S80. for less money

    See the recent news items at dpreview.com. Evidently there have
    been problems with some sensors in S60's and S70's. It may pay to
    check with Canon to determine if S70's beyond a certain serial
    number can be assumed to have the improved/fixed sensor. Said to be
    about wires delaminating, or something like that. If I had lots of
    disposable cash I wouldn't mind having either one.
    ASAAR, Oct 10, 2005
  14. measekite wrote:
    []
    > Most people will not use a tripod with either camera. The question I
    > have is with the same settings would you see any significant
    > difference in a moderately cropped 8.5x11?

    No, a tripod would not be used, but if you want to make precise
    comparisons between two cameras using a tripod eliminates one variable. I
    was referring specifically to the print comparison.

    I would expect that, other things being equal, an 8MPB image would look
    better than a 5MP image. But if you needed the extra zoom of the FZ5, or
    the image stabilisation, then the image from the FZ5 would likely be
    better than that from the S80!

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 10, 2005
  15. David J Taylor wrote:
    > measekite wrote:
    > []
    >> Most people will not use a tripod with either camera. The question I
    >> have is with the same settings would you see any significant
    >> difference in a moderately cropped 8.5x11?

    > No, a tripod would not be used, but if you want to make precise
    > comparisons between two cameras using a tripod eliminates one
    > variable. I was referring specifically to the print comparison.

    That was supposed to be the "protrait" comparison!

    > I would expect that, other things being equal, an 8MPB image would
    > look better than a 5MP image. But if you needed the extra zoom of
    > the FZ5, or the image stabilisation, then the image from the FZ5
    > would likely be better than that from the S80!

    and that was supposed to be 8MP!

    Arrgh!
    David J Taylor, Oct 10, 2005
  16. Baron Sloan Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:wAu2f.125949$...
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> measekite wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Most people will not use a tripod with either camera. The question I
    >>> have is with the same settings would you see any significant
    >>> difference in a moderately cropped 8.5x11?

    >> No, a tripod would not be used, but if you want to make precise
    >> comparisons between two cameras using a tripod eliminates one
    >> variable. I was referring specifically to the print comparison.

    > That was supposed to be the "protrait" comparison!

    Are you sure it wasn't meant to be "portrait" comparison?

    :)
    Baron Sloan, Oct 10, 2005
  17. Baron Sloan wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
    > wrote in message
    >> David J Taylor wrote:
    >>> measekite wrote:
    >>> []
    >>>
    >>> No, a tripod would not be used, but if you want to make precise
    >>> comparisons between two cameras using a tripod eliminates one
    >>> variable. I was referring specifically to the print comparison.

    >> That was supposed to be the "protrait" comparison!
    >>

    > Are you sure it wasn't meant to be "portrait" comparison?
    >
    > :)

    There is a gremlin in this system somewhere, or perhaps it is sitting at
    the keyboard!

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 10, 2005
  18. per Guest

    The digic II processor alone is worth the update. Much faster focusing and
    almost no trigger delay when prefocused, which cannot be said about the
    previous Digic on the S70.
    /per

    per, Oct 12, 2005