Canon S70 - E18

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Miles, Dec 7, 2007.

  1. Miles

    Miles Guest

    I've had this camera for about 3 years and have taken perhaps 300 pics.
    It gave up the ghost with the code E18, the lenses won't retract. It has
    never been dropped and was clean inside. It was repaired in Asia for
    $20 in September, but that was short lived as it failed again on Halloween.

    The local camera shop (with a great reputation and sells primarily Canon
    cameras) said they could send it to Canon for repair for about $175. I
    thought this quite expensive to probably replace a plastic gear or two,
    but was told that Canon replaces the entire lens mechanism, including
    the lenses and that's the only way they will do it.

    So I started searching for a replacement camera, and apparently anything
    that has close to the features of the S70 (excluding raw) would cost 4
    to $500. And of course, you get a bit more such as up to 15 megapixels
    and anti-shake and more zoom, as opposed to about 3.1. Since I'm quite
    steady, I'm not worried about the shake and question the need for 15mp
    as opposed to 7.1 for the typical non-commercial pics I take -- they
    seem to print fairly well on 4x6 paper, haven't tried 8-1/2x11, but
    perhaps will.

    The shop suggested a new Canon such as G7, A720, or a SX100 -- along
    those lines. Bearing in mind that after searching the net for E18 I'm a
    bit leery of Canon's retractable lenses -- perhaps all point & shoots!
    And also the extras I now have such as leather case, 2 good batteries, 2
    x 1gb fast CF cards, and 3 different types of wall chargers. All of
    these are now quite a bit cheaper than when I bought them, but that's
    still added investment. The drawbacks to the S70 are numerous, but can
    be lived with -- the small LCD which is only about 80% of the pic,
    although I prefer to use the view finder. And the settings are a bit
    laborious without large size setup on the screen. And the flash only
    carries a couple of meters which is quite insufficient more many indoor
    pics -- and I believe it difficult or expensive to carry a second flash
    that would operate in conjunction with or without the included flash.

    What's the opinion, fix the old camera or spend more and buy another --
    and what kind that wouldn't cost more than say $400 base price?? Any
    tips you may have would certainly be appreciated.
    Miles

    Miles, Dec 7, 2007

  2. Miles

    Miles Guest

    * Miles wrote:
    > I've had this camera for about 3 years and have taken perhaps 300 pics.
    > It gave up the ghost with the code E18, the lenses won't retract. It has
    > never been dropped and was clean inside. It was repaired in Asia for
    > $20 in September, but that was short lived as it failed again on Halloween.
    >
    > The local camera shop (with a great reputation and sells primarily Canon
    > cameras) said they could send it to Canon for repair for about $175. I
    > thought this quite expensive to probably replace a plastic gear or two,
    > but was told that Canon replaces the entire lens mechanism, including
    > the lenses and that's the only way they will do it.
    >
    > So I started searching for a replacement camera, and apparently anything
    > that has close to the features of the S70 (excluding raw) would cost 4
    > to $500. And of course, you get a bit more such as up to 15 megapixels
    > and anti-shake and more zoom, as opposed to about 3.1. Since I'm quite
    > steady, I'm not worried about the shake and question the need for 15mp
    > as opposed to 7.1 for the typical non-commercial pics I take -- they
    > seem to print fairly well on 4x6 paper, haven't tried 8-1/2x11, but
    > perhaps will.
    >
    > The shop suggested a new Canon such as G7, A720, or a SX100 -- along
    > those lines. Bearing in mind that after searching the net for E18 I'm a
    > bit leery of Canon's retractable lenses -- perhaps all point & shoots!
    > And also the extras I now have such as leather case, 2 good batteries, 2
    > x 1gb fast CF cards, and 3 different types of wall chargers. All of
    > these are now quite a bit cheaper than when I bought them, but that's
    > still added investment. The drawbacks to the S70 are numerous, but can
    > be lived with -- the small LCD which is only about 80% of the pic,
    > although I prefer to use the view finder. And the settings are a bit
    > laborious without large size setup on the screen. And the flash only
    > carries a couple of meters which is quite insufficient more many indoor
    > pics -- and I believe it difficult or expensive to carry a second flash
    > that would operate in conjunction with or without the included flash.
    >
    > What's the opinion, fix the old camera or spend more and buy another --
    > and what kind that wouldn't cost more than say $400 base price?? Any
    > tips you may have would certainly be appreciated.
    > Miles

    Didn't receive any replies, so bit the bullet and had it repaired by
    Canon who supposedly replaced the entire lens mechanism. Total cost
    including shipping and tax was $140, considerably lower than
    anticipated. And considerably lower than a comparable camera at $500
    or more (however with some newly added features and larger LCD.)
    Miles

    Miles, Jan 15, 2008