    reduction (see http://home.unet.nl/irisnadine/s70.jpg - taken with tripod!).

    Has anybody similar experience with this....?

    iris

    Iris Nadine Kartasasmita, Mar 22, 2005

  2. Iris Nadine Kartasasmita wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out when really the Canon S70 noise reduction
    > starts to reduce the quality of the photo. I've taken 2 similar
    > pictures, one with (a) f2.8 - 1/60s and the other one with (b) f8 -
    > 1/6s. The quality of picture (b) is noticeably less than (a); and I
    > believe this is due to the noise reduction (see
    > http://home.unet.nl/irisnadine/s70.jpg - taken with tripod!).
    >
    > Has anybody similar experience with this....?
    >
    > iris

    To me, the 1/6s image looks as if either it is out of focus, or your are
    seeing the diffraction effects due to the very small aperture. By noise
    reduction, do you mean some filtering of the image, or dark frame
    subtraction?

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Iris Nadine Kartasasmita

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Iris Nadine Kartasasmita" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out when really the Canon S70 noise reduction starts

    > reduce the quality of the photo.

    Noise reduction always reduces the quality of the photo. Shoot in raw if you
    can and control the amount of noise reduction in post processing.

    C J Campbell, Mar 23, 2005
  4. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    schreef in bericht news:TVY%d.3342$...
    > Iris Nadine Kartasasmita wrote:
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > I'm trying to figure out when really the Canon S70 noise reduction
    > > starts to reduce the quality of the photo. I've taken 2 similar
    > > pictures, one with (a) f2.8 - 1/60s and the other one with (b) f8 -
    > > 1/6s. The quality of picture (b) is noticeably less than (a); and I
    > > believe this is due to the noise reduction (see
    > > http://home.unet.nl/irisnadine/s70.jpg - taken with tripod!).
    > >
    > > Has anybody similar experience with this....?
    > >
    > > iris

    > To me, the 1/6s image looks as if either it is out of focus, or your are
    > seeing the diffraction effects due to the very small aperture. By noise
    > reduction, do you mean some filtering of the image, or dark frame
    > subtraction?
    >
    > David

    David, I think it is not due to out of focus (at least I left it on "auto"
    mode
    for focusing). And I got a similar "softness" effect when I took landscape
    photo at dawn (with tripod, slow shutter speed). I saw in one of the
    review on http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CS70/S70P.HTM
    ".... Namely, the impact that anti-noise processing has on subtle subject
    detail. The G6 and S70 both use the same CCD chip (and I believe the Sony
    P150 does as well), so the slightly lower noise levels shown in the chart
    above for the S70 have to come from more aggressive anti-noise processing.
    This in fact appears to be the case, as I found that the S70 had a slightly
    greater tendency to flatten-out subject detail in areas of subtle contrast
    than did the G6......"

    What I see with many of the photos taken with slow shutter speed
    (and small aperture) are not as sharp as photos taken with
    large aperture (hence fast shutter speed).

    iris

    Iris Nadine Kartasasmita, Mar 23, 2005
  5. "C J Campbell" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Iris Nadine Kartasasmita" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > I'm trying to figure out when really the Canon S70 noise reduction

    starts
    > > reduce the quality of the photo.

    > Noise reduction always reduces the quality of the photo. Shoot in raw if

    you
    > can and control the amount of noise reduction in post processing.

    I thought so too.... That is what I took test photos in raw mode... Still
    the
    result is the same (see mail original post). Could it be due to the lens?

    Iris Nadine Kartasasmita, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Iris Nadine Kartasasmita

    T.N.T. Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:37:45 GMT, "Iris Nadine Kartasasmita"
    <>, wrote in news::

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out when really the Canon S70 noise reduction
    > starts to reduce the quality of the photo. I've taken 2 similar
    > pictures, one with (a) f2.8 - 1/60s and the other one with (b) f8 -
    > 1/6s. The quality of picture (b) is noticeably less than (a); and I
    > believe this is due to the noise reduction (see
    > http://home.unet.nl/irisnadine/s70.jpg - taken with tripod!).

    It's diffraction effect. f/8 is too small for lenses designed to cover
    1/1.8" or 2/3". All small size sensor digicams has this problem.

    As to the S70 specifically, I believe it has 2 types of noise reduction.
    One is the dark frame NR, usually applied when the shutter speed is 1
    second or slower on Canon cameras. This one only served to remove the hot
    pixel effects and I believe it would not remove small details on the
    image.

    The second one is software/firmware NR, usualy used to reduce high noise
    in dark area or in high ISO images. This one will affect image quality.
    But if you shoot RAW, depending on software, you can freely choose to
    apply NR or not. You can test this NR effect by shooting two dark
    pictures or use high ISO, one shot in JPG, the other in RAW format then
    compare the results.

    --
    T.N.T.

    Lbh xabj jung gb qb vs lbh rire jnag gb rznvy zr.

    T.N.T., Mar 24, 2005

  7. > It's diffraction effect. f/8 is too small for lenses designed to cover
    > 1/1.8" or 2/3". All small size sensor digicams has this problem.

    T.N.T., does it mean that I should better take picture with the largest
    aperture for this kind of camera? Is there a "rule of thumb" for guessing
    the smallest useful aperture (depth of field vs. diffraction)? Looking with
    the test I've done, it seems f/5.6 is the limit...

    iris.

    Iris Nadine Kartasasmita, Mar 24, 2005