Canon S60 ZoomBrowser software

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jesko Waniek, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Jesko Waniek

    Jesko Waniek Guest

    Yesterday I received my first digital camera, a Canon S60. Unfortunately,
    Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software (Version 4.6.1) does not run on my fairly
    vanilla Dell 8300 PC (Win XP Professional). Everything installs ok, but
    when I run the program it opens for a fraction of a second and immediately
    closes again. I installed it on another PC I have with the same results.
    I called Canon tech support this morning, and while they were very nice and
    made me change all kinds of settings on my PC (popup blocker, startup
    group, etc.) and had me uninstall and reinstall it, it did not fix the
    problem.
    Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Without the software I
    cannot use RAW mode, which I would like to do.

    Jesko Waniek
     
    Jesko Waniek, Aug 20, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <Xns954AE7ACEEB1Ajwaniekbellsouthnet@216.77.188.18>,
    Jesko Waniek <> wrote:

    > Yesterday I received my first digital camera, a Canon S60. Unfortunately,
    > Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software (Version 4.6.1) does not run on my fairly
    > vanilla Dell 8300 PC (Win XP Professional). Everything installs ok, but
    > when I run the program it opens for a fraction of a second and immediately
    > closes again. I installed it on another PC I have with the same results.
    > I called Canon tech support this morning, and while they were very nice and
    > made me change all kinds of settings on my PC (popup blocker, startup
    > group, etc.) and had me uninstall and reinstall it, it did not fix the
    > problem.
    > Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Without the software I
    > cannot use RAW mode, which I would like to do.
    >
    > Jesko Waniek


    There are other programs that understand RAW.
    On Mac I use GraphicConverter (www.lemkesoft.de), I am sure there are
    numerous programs that can do the same on Windows (PaintShop Pro?)

    Wouter


    --

    Wouter F. Wessels
    Gouda, the Netherlands
    http://www.wwessels.cistron.nl/picofday.shtml
    mailto:
     
    Wouter Wessels, Aug 20, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jesko Waniek <> writes:
    > Yesterday I received my first digital camera, a Canon
    > S60. Unfortunately, Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software (Version 4.6.1)
    > does not run on my fairly vanilla Dell 8300 PC (Win XP
    > Professional). Everything installs ok, but when I run the program it
    > opens for a fraction of a second and immediately closes again. I
    > installed it on another PC I have with the same results. I called
    > Canon tech support this morning, and while they were very nice and
    > made me change all kinds of settings on my PC (popup blocker,
    > startup group, etc.) and had me uninstall and reinstall it, it did
    > not fix the problem.


    I don't have a fix for your problem. I've used Zoombrowser EX since
    ver. 3.something (I now run 4.6.1) on a similar computer to yours.
    (a HP Compaq D530m Win XP Professional SP1 w./ 1 Gbyte RAM) and have
    So far, I've had no problems with its stability.

    The only thing I can think of is that you have too little free memory
    for Zoombrowser EX to start. How much RAM do you have, and how much
    is grabbed by stuff that automatically launches at boot time?

    > Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Without the
    > software I cannot use RAW mode, which I would like to do.


    To convert RAW, you don't want the Zoombrowser EX - you want the
    Canon File Viewer Utility (FVU). This is shipped with the camera
    on he same CD-ROM that you installed Zoombrowser from. You usually
    launch the FVU from Zoombrowser EX, but it works just as fine
    standalone.

    Currently, I am not aware of any 3rd party RAW converters for S60 that
    will run on Windows (somebody suggested you look at PSP - AFAIK PSP
    don't support /any/ camera RAW formats).

    BreezeBrowser has announced support for S60 RAW in an update due for
    September, and the S60 will be supported by Photoshop when the Adobe
    Camera Raw (ACR) ver. 2.3 update is shipped (but no release date has
    been set yet).
    --
    - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
    ========================================================================
    «To live outside the law, you must be honest.» (Bob Dylan)
     
    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 20, 2004
    #3
  4. Jesko Waniek

    Terry Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:41:19 +0200, Gisle Hannemyr
    <> wrote:


    >
    >Currently, I am not aware of any 3rd party RAW converters for S60 that
    >will run on Windows (somebody suggested you look at PSP - AFAIK PSP
    >don't support /any/ camera RAW formats).



    PSP 9, currently in beta, supports the following RAW file formats:

    Canon 300D Rebel
    Canon D30
    Canon D60
    Canon 10D
    Canon D1X
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1Ds
    Canon Powershot G3
    Canon Powershot G5
    Nikon D1
    Nikon D1h
    Nikon D100
    Nikon D2h
    Nikon D1X
    Olympus 5050
    Olympus 5060
    Olympus E1
    Olympus E10
    Olympus E20
    Fuji S2 Pro
    Fuji S7000
    Pentax *ist
    Minolta A1
    Minolta A2

    Not brilliantly, but satisfactorily.

    HTH.
     
    Terry, Aug 20, 2004
    #4
  5. Jesko Waniek

    Jesko Waniek Guest

    Gisle Hannemyr <> wrote in
    news::

    > I don't have a fix for your problem. I've used Zoombrowser EX since
    > ver. 3.something (I now run 4.6.1) on a similar computer to yours.
    > (a HP Compaq D530m Win XP Professional SP1 w./ 1 Gbyte RAM) and have
    > So far, I've had no problems with its stability.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is that you have too little free memory
    > for Zoombrowser EX to start. How much RAM do you have, and how much
    > is grabbed by stuff that automatically launches at boot time?
    > To convert RAW, you don't want the Zoombrowser EX - you want the
    > Canon File Viewer Utility (FVU). This is shipped with the camera
    > on he same CD-ROM that you installed Zoombrowser from. You usually
    > launch the FVU from Zoombrowser EX, but it works just as fine
    > standalone.


    Thanks, Gisle. I don't believe it's a memory problem. My PC has 512 MB of
    RAM. As per Canon's support technician I also rebooted the machine
    "clean" without all the startup stuff, and it made no difference. What
    makes me suspicious is that I installed the program an another machine
    with exactly the same results. Maybe something is wrong with the CD, or
    the data being copied from it. I think I will request a replacement CD
    and see what happens.

    As far as the File Viewer Utility is concerned -- I don't see that
    anywhere on the CD. There is only something called RawTask, but that does
    not run without ZoomBrowser.

    At least the uploading works...

    Jesko
     
    Jesko Waniek, Aug 21, 2004
    #5
  6. Jesko Waniek

    Jack Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    [posted and mailed]

    Jesko Waniek <> wrote in
    news:Xns954C6F126B3B2jwaniekbellsouthnet@216.77.188.18:

    > Thanks, Gisle. I don't believe it's a memory problem. My PC has 512 MB
    > of RAM. As per Canon's support technician I also rebooted the machine
    > "clean" without all the startup stuff, and it made no difference. What
    > makes me suspicious is that I installed the program an another machine
    > with exactly the same results. Maybe something is wrong with the CD,
    > or the data being copied from it. I think I will request a replacement
    > CD and see what happens.
    >
    > As far as the File Viewer Utility is concerned -- I don't see that
    > anywhere on the CD. There is only something called RawTask, but that
    > does not run without ZoomBrowser.


    The latest versions of all Canon utilities including Zoombrowser are
    available for downloading on the Canon USA website.(www.canonusa.com) Try
    downloading and installing the latest version and see if it works. It's
    better than waiting for a new CD.
    Jack
     
    Jack, Aug 21, 2004
    #6
  7. On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:03:25 -0500, Jack <> wrote:

    >[posted and mailed]
    >
    >[posted and mailed]
    >
    >Jesko Waniek <> wrote in
    >news:Xns954C6F126B3B2jwaniekbellsouthnet@216.77.188.18:
    >
    >> Thanks, Gisle. I don't believe it's a memory problem. My PC has 512 MB
    >> of RAM. As per Canon's support technician I also rebooted the machine
    >> "clean" without all the startup stuff, and it made no difference. What
    >> makes me suspicious is that I installed the program an another machine
    >> with exactly the same results. Maybe something is wrong with the CD,
    >> or the data being copied from it. I think I will request a replacement
    >> CD and see what happens.
    >>
    >> As far as the File Viewer Utility is concerned -- I don't see that
    >> anywhere on the CD. There is only something called RawTask, but that
    >> does not run without ZoomBrowser.

    >
    >The latest versions of all Canon utilities including Zoombrowser are
    >available for downloading on the Canon USA website.(www.canonusa.com) Try
    >downloading and installing the latest version and see if it works. It's
    >better than waiting for a new CD.
    >Jack


    Great - not everybody lives in USA. Canon is really a friendly company. Must
    remember that next time I update a camera.

    For your information, my stats are:
    Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
    1 Gb memory,ADSL
    200+200 GB of disc space,Oly C2100UZ,Optio S,Sony 355E, Canon S1.
    Burners CD and DVD (Sony make)
    Borge Pedersen :)
    Perth, Australia

    mailto:
    remove SPAM and underlines for email
    http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~borge
     
    nesredep egrob, Aug 22, 2004
    #7
  8. Jesko Waniek <> writes:
    > As far as the File Viewer Utility is concerned -- I don't see that
    > anywhere on the CD. There is only something called RawTask, but that
    > does not run without ZoomBrowser.


    My CD-ROM is labeled "Canon Digital Camera Solutions Disc v13".

    When I run Setup, I get to a screen labeled "Select Features",
    where I'm given the option to install the following software:
    - PhotoStitch
    - File Viewer Utility
    - RemoteCapture
    - ZoomBrowser EX/Photorecord

    If I look directly at the CD-ROM, the File Viewer Utility is in a the
    folder \SOFTWARE\FVU\ENGLISH\.
    --
    - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
    ========================================================================
    «To live outside the law, you must be honest.» (Bob Dylan)
     
    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 22, 2004
    #8
  9. Jesko Waniek

    Jesko Waniek Guest

    In the meantime, the mystery has been solved thanks to a very knowledgable
    tech. support guy at Canon USA.

    The problems lies somewhere in a corrupt user account. When I log off from
    my usual account and log back on with another account, the software works.
    While that is still somewhat strange, it's not really much of a problem.

    Jesko
     
    Jesko Waniek, Aug 23, 2004
    #9
  10. Jesko Waniek <> writes:
    > In the meantime, the mystery has been solved thanks to a very
    > knowledgable tech. support guy at Canon USA.
    >
    > The problems lies somewhere in a corrupt user account. When I log
    > off from my usual account and log back on with another account, the
    > software works. While that is still somewhat strange, it's not
    > really much of a problem.


    OK - glad you were able to work it out.
    --
    - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
    ========================================================================
    «To live outside the law, you must be honest.» (Bob Dylan)
     
    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 23, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. jeff liss

    Re: Canon Powershot S60 Coming ?

    jeff liss, Aug 24, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    340
    Joel Rowbottom
    Sep 24, 2003
  2. Monotonicus

    Canon PowerShot S60 Rumors

    Monotonicus, Apr 20, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    334
    Bay Area Dave
    Apr 20, 2004
  3. Todd

    New Canon Powershot S60-- not what I expected :(

    Todd, May 10, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    372
    Larry
    May 12, 2004
  4. Jack

    Canon Zoombrowser no longer on Canon USA website

    Jack, Jun 21, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,096
  5. Alan
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    537
Loading...

Share This Page