    to the limit for a small sensor.

    To combat noise Canon must have to do more processing and that may mean
    more artifacts and smearing. I look forward to test comparisons.

    measekite, Sep 19, 2008

  2. measekite

    Guest

    On Sep 19, 4:25 pm, measekite <> wrote:
    > What is the best way to sell a mint condition Canon S5IS and what do you
    > think it is worth.
    >
    > I am thinking of getting the new SX10.
    >
    > However I am not sure if the SX10 will take as good a photo as the S5IS
    > since there are more MP on a same size sensor with a lens that is pushed
    > to the limit for a small sensor.
    >
    > To combat noise Canon must have to do more processing and that may mean
    > more artifacts and smearing.  I look forward to test comparisons.

    Is the S series discontinued and S5IS the last one in line? I have
    always thought that the SX series is the cheap and step down version
    of the S series. Too bad... perhaps it cannot compete with the G
    series?

    , Sep 20, 2008

  3. measekite

    measekite Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:34:40 -0700, aniramca wrote:

    > On Sep 19, 4:25 pm, measekite <> wrote:
    >> What is the best way to sell a mint condition Canon S5IS and what do you
    >> think it is worth.
    >>
    >> I am thinking of getting the new SX10.
    >>
    >> However I am not sure if the SX10 will take as good a photo as the S5IS
    >> since there are more MP on a same size sensor with a lens that is pushed
    >> to the limit for a small sensor.
    >>
    >> To combat noise Canon must have to do more processing and that may mean
    >> more artifacts and smearing.  I look forward to test comparisons.

    > Is the S series discontinued and S5IS the last one in line? I have
    > always thought that the SX series is the cheap and step down version
    > of the S series. Too bad... perhaps it cannot compete with the G
    > series?

    The S5IS has been replaced by the SX10 and bears no resemblance to the
    existing SX. I have not idea why they called it an SX10.

    Now this camera is far different to the G10 and does not compete with it.
    This is for those who want an EVF with a 28-550 or so optical zoom range
    where size falls between the G series and a DSLR and has DSLR looks.

    I do not think you will see much difference between the SX10 and the G10.

    measekite, Sep 20, 2008

  4. >
    > I do not think you will see much difference between the SX10 and the G10.

    15 mp vs 10 mp is already a major difference. More differences here
    (dpreview side-by-side):

    http://tinyurl.com/534rkm

    Maurice Blanchard, Sep 20, 2008
  5. measekite

    ransley Guest

    On Sep 19, 4:25 pm, measekite <> wrote:
    > What is the best way to sell a mint condition Canon S5IS and what do you
    > think it is worth.
    >
    > I am thinking of getting the new SX10.
    >
    > However I am not sure if the SX10 will take as good a photo as the S5IS
    > since there are more MP on a same size sensor with a lens that is pushed
    > to the limit for a small sensor.
    >
    > To combat noise Canon must have to do more processing and that may mean
    > more artifacts and smearing.  I look forward to test comparisons.

    What you have might be better. Save for the new 5d

    ransley, Sep 20, 2008
  6. measekite

    measekite Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:35:33 -0400, Maurice Blanchard wrote:

    >> I do not think you will see much difference between the SX10 and the G10.

    > 15 mp vs 10 mp is already a major difference. More differences here
    > (dpreview side-by-side):
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/534rkm

    It has been said (Ken Rockwell among others) that one needs a doubling of
    MP to see a difference and that is usually when looking at senors larger
    than what is in P&S. Those tiny sensors do not fair well when MP climb
    very high. You need more processing and that causes loss of detail and
    smearing plus the introduction of artifacts.

    measekite, Sep 21, 2008
  7. measekite

    measekite Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:52:56 -0700, ransley wrote:

    > On Sep 19, 4:25 pm, measekite <> wrote:
    >> What is the best way to sell a mint condition Canon S5IS and what do you
    >> think it is worth.
    >>
    >> I am thinking of getting the new SX10.
    >>
    >> However I am not sure if the SX10 will take as good a photo as the S5IS
    >> since there are more MP on a same size sensor with a lens that is pushed
    >> to the limit for a small sensor.
    >>
    >> To combat noise Canon must have to do more processing and that may mean
    >> more artifacts and smearing.  I look forward to test comparisons.

    > What you have might be better. Save for the new 5d

    Already thinking about a 50D. Not sure what the 5Dmk2 will buy me as far
    as image quality.

    If the 5D with a lens is around $3,000 one can get a 50D with 4 to 5
    lenses for the same money. That might buy a whole bunch of images that
    are at least as good if you keep print size down below 16x24 and ISO below
    1600.

    measekite, Sep 21, 2008
  8. measekite

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:34:40 -0700, aniramca wrote:

    > On Sep 19, 4:25 pm, measekite <> wrote:
    >> What is the best way to sell a mint condition Canon S5IS and what do
    >> you think it is worth.
    >>
    >> I am thinking of getting the new SX10.
    >>
    >> However I am not sure if the SX10 will take as good a photo as the S5IS
    >> since there are more MP on a same size sensor with a lens that is
    >> pushed to the limit for a small sensor.
    >>
    >> To combat noise Canon must have to do more processing and that may mean
    >> more artifacts and smearing.  I look forward to test comparisons.

    > Is the S series discontinued and S5IS the last one in line? I have
    > always thought that the SX series is the cheap and step down version of
    > the S series. Too bad... perhaps it cannot compete with the G series?

    I would give you $5 - IF they have replace that idiot undersampled EVF.

    ray, Sep 21, 2008
  9. measekite

    measekite Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:05:53 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:34:40 -0700, aniramca wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 19, 4:25 pm, measekite <> wrote:
    >>> What is the best way to sell a mint condition Canon S5IS and what do
    >>> you think it is worth.
    >>>
    >>> I am thinking of getting the new SX10.
    >>>
    >>> However I am not sure if the SX10 will take as good a photo as the S5IS
    >>> since there are more MP on a same size sensor with a lens that is
    >>> pushed to the limit for a small sensor.
    >>>
    >>> To combat noise Canon must have to do more processing and that may mean
    >>> more artifacts and smearing.  I look forward to test comparisons.

    >> Is the S series discontinued and S5IS the last one in line? I have
    >> always thought that the SX series is the cheap and step down version of
    >> the S series. Too bad... perhaps it cannot compete with the G series?

    > I would give you $5 - IF they have replace that idiot undersampled EVF.

    I will only consider offers from intelligent individuals.

    measekite, Sep 21, 2008
  10. measekite

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:49:57 +0000, measekite wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:05:53 +0000, ray wrote:

    >>> Is the S series discontinued and S5IS the last one in line? I have
    >>> always thought that the SX series is the cheap and step down version
    >>> of the S series. Too bad... perhaps it cannot compete with the G
    >>> series?

    >> I would give you $5 - IF they have replace that idiot undersampled EVF.

    > I will only consider offers from intelligent individuals.

    I take it you mean of intelligence on a par with yours - that would be
    below room temperature.

    ray, Sep 22, 2008