Canon S500 Battery Problems?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ryan, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hi,

    I have had several Canon Digital cameras and recently purchased a S500
    Digital Elph. It is, however, the first Elph I have own (my prior
    Canon's were S40, S45 and S50).

    I have been fully charging the battery pack and putting it in the
    camera as usual. However, after maybe 20 photos.. I am getting a
    message to charge the battery and the camera refuses to take any
    additional photos.

    Now, with my other Canons I could easily go on vacation and shoot
    photos all day without having to recharge.. I would just recharge each
    night and all was well. This S500 seems to drain it's battery VERY
    quickly making me wonder how the heck I am going to use this when we
    go away.

    Is this normal?

    Do they make another high capacity battery for this camera that would
    last longer between charges?

    Thanks!

    Ryan, Aug 3, 2004

  2. (Ryan) writes:

    >Now, with my other Canons I could easily go on vacation and shoot
    >photos all day without having to recharge.. I would just recharge each
    >night and all was well. This S500 seems to drain it's battery VERY
    >quickly making me wonder how the heck I am going to use this when we
    >go away.

    >Is this normal?

    No, you should get many more shots from one charge. You might look at
    dpreview's data on number of shots for the S400/410/500 to get an idea
    of how many and under what conditions, but 20 shots is way too few.

    The problem could be in the camera, the battery, or the charger.
    Finding another local owner with a S500/S410/S400/S200 (anything that
    uses the same battery) would allow you to swap known-good parts to
    isolate the problem.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Ryan

    Luke Webber Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:

    > (Ryan) writes:
    >

    >>Now, with my other Canons I could easily go on vacation and shoot
    >>photos all day without having to recharge.. I would just recharge each
    >>night and all was well. This S500 seems to drain it's battery VERY
    >>quickly making me wonder how the heck I am going to use this when we
    >>go away.

    >>Is this normal?

    > No, you should get many more shots from one charge. You might look at
    > dpreview's data on number of shots for the S400/410/500 to get an idea
    > of how many and under what conditions, but 20 shots is way too few.
    >
    > The problem could be in the camera, the battery, or the charger.
    > Finding another local owner with a S500/S410/S400/S200 (anything that
    > uses the same battery) would allow you to swap known-good parts to
    > isolate the problem.

    Or better yet, return them for warranty service.

    Luke

    Luke Webber, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Your manual should tell you the expected number of shots on a charge. I'm
    guessing about 150. My S400 with an after-market battery gets many 100's of
    shots on a charge. If you are getting only 20, either the battery, the
    charger or the camera is defective.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Aug 4, 2004