    purchase the additional equipment.

    Thanks.

    Kevin
    kevinm3574, Mar 9, 2005

  2. kevinm3574

    Steve Guest

    kevinm3574 wrote:

    > I'm planning
    > on purchasing the WP-DC800 underwater case for my S500 but was hoping
    > to use my YS-40A strobe instead of having to purchase a new strobe. Is
    > this possible?

    Maybe. Assuming the S500 uses a preflash you need a reliable way to trigger the YS-40
    on the main flash instead of the preflash, and it's a foregone conclusion that a
    Canon housing doesn't have a connector for a Sea & Sea strobe. That means you either
    need an adapter that will connect the strobe to the housing (in the unlikely event
    that it has any connector at all) and only fire on the main flash, or an UW slave
    that only fires on the main flash. The latter may or may not give you TTL capability,
    depending on whether or not the slave can quench the strobe. Check with Sea & Sea or
    a dealer to see what's available. If the S500 doesn't use preflash or preflash can be
    disabled (such as in manual mode) then a regular slave will work, and I'm guessing
    your strobe may have a built in slave.

    You could also consider making a quality investment and getting an Ikelite housing if
    they make one for the S500. That and an Ikelite strobe won't be cheap, but think how
    much you'll save on film costs.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
    Steve, Mar 10, 2005