    Anyway looks like the S45 is discontinued now, so I now have to get the S50
    or look for an alternative.

    Gav
    Gav, Aug 29, 2003

  2. Gav

    Cudex Guest

    I love my S50, but I have seen 'chromatic abberration' as the purple
    fringing is technically called, I have an example at:

    http://www.netspeed.com.au/mark/s50.html

    so yes, this was a little disconcerting after selling off my SLR and
    moving to digital...but the portrait I've included at the bottom of that
    page and subsequent quality of A4 prints on my Canon 6-colour photo
    printer represent to me inspirational results that I never bothered to
    achieve with my film camera.

    Ofcourse this is not because I couldn't with my SLR, rather I'm now
    compelled, motivated and most importantly gratified by the instant
    results available to me from the computer study 'studio'. I just never
    bothered with 8 x 10 or larger enlargements mainly because of the
    perceived (and actual) costs of film printing.

    From my experience the SLR did not go out of the house nearly enough to
    'record life's moments' so I bought a good quality compact to take
    everywhere.

    Mark.JT.

    Cudex, Aug 29, 2003

  3. Gav

    Gav Guest

    Sounds similar to what I am going to do, but I'm keeping my SLR though. SLR
    does great pics but bit of a bind carrying it everywhere. Also intend to
    play about more with night shots etc, bit of a pain waiting to develop your
    photos to see if they have come out ok with the SLR. Those pics look good,
    fringing evedent but not too bad when you look at the whole picture.

    thanks

    Gav

    Gav, Aug 29, 2003
  4. Gav

    jeff liss Guest

    Cudex <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I love my S50, but I have seen 'chromatic abberration' as the purple
    > fringing is technically called, I have an example at:
    >
    > http://www.netspeed.com.au/mark/s50.html
    >
    > so yes, this was a little disconcerting after selling off my SLR and
    > moving to digital...but the portrait I've included at the bottom of that
    > page and subsequent quality of A4 prints on my Canon 6-colour photo
    > printer represent to me inspirational results that I never bothered to
    > achieve with my film camera.
    >
    > Ofcourse this is not because I couldn't with my SLR, rather I'm now
    > compelled, motivated and most importantly gratified by the instant
    > results available to me from the computer study 'studio'. I just never
    > bothered with 8 x 10 or larger enlargements mainly because of the
    > perceived (and actual) costs of film printing.
    >
    > From my experience the SLR did not go out of the house nearly enough to
    > 'record life's moments' so I bought a good quality compact to take
    > everywhere.
    >
    > Mark.JT.
    >

    > In article <bin7kj$q3k$>,
    > "Gav" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Anybody got a Canon S50? I was going to purchase an S45 instead of an S50
    > > after reading the S50 suffered quite badly from purple fringing but the S45
    > > does not. Is this true? Pictures I have seen online from the S50 looked ok
    > > to me but obviously I don't know if they have been touched up.
    > >
    > > Anyway looks like the S45 is discontinued now, so I now have to get the S50
    > > or look for an alternative.
    > >
    > > Gav

    I have an S50, and took hundreds of pics with it this summer while in
    China. Not one of my shots shows any evidence of the purple fringing
    I've heard about. I wonder why some get it and others don't. There
    must be a reason, but I don't know what it is.
    Jeff
    jeff liss, Aug 30, 2003
  5. Gav

    Scooter Guest

    I think the chromatic abberation ssue is related to the ISO setting. The
    higher the setting the greater the noise. but at 50 I've never noticed it.
    I'm extremely happy with my S50.

    Scooter, Aug 30, 2003
  6. Gav

    Cudex Guest

    I should have clarified in my original post, that it was only evident
    when enlarging the images and looking for it - viewing at 100% or
    printing it is not an issue for me really - the printer I use is a Canon
    S900.

    Mark.JT.

    Cudex, Aug 30, 2003
  7. Gav

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Scooter wrote:

    > I think the chromatic abberation ssue is related to the ISO setting. The
    > higher the setting the greater the noise. but at 50 I've never noticed it.
    > I'm extremely happy with my S50.

    It's the lens..

    I've got a Canon 10D with a kit of five lenses. ONE of these lenses, A
    [Canon EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM] causes purple fringing on very bright objects.
    The rest don't.

    Here's a sample.. Note the reflected sunlight on the polished aluminum rim of
    the boat.

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/CA.jpg

    I also own a Canon EF 100-400L IS lens.. I've tried endlessly to get it to
    purple fringe, but it simply won't.

    Here is the same shot taken with both lenses at the same focal length and same
    aperture, same ISO. Note the glint of sunlight on the car just under the
    windshield on the bottom right. Same camera - different lenses.

    (This is what makes me think the lens is the main reason for the chromatic
    aberration)..

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/CAcomparison.jpg
    Jim Townsend, Aug 30, 2003
  8. Gav

    Gav Guest

    Thanks for all your input. I've now ordered the camera. Can't wait for it to
    arrive.

    Gav

    Gav, Sep 1, 2003
  9. You'll love it!

    I got mine yesterday and have hardly put it down... I've had SLRs and
    while it's not quite as good as my old Canon FTB (ancient!) it's still
    very iimpressive!

    I've not seen any purple fringing, but I HAVE noticed that certain
    reds (particularly in flower beds) tned to flare a little - but that
    doesn't happen all the time.

    It's a great camera!

    Terence Watts

    Terence Watts, Sep 2, 2003
  10. Gav

    GWB Guest

    I just ordered one, too. I had to replace an S30 that my daughter took tubing
    in a ziplock bag. I was going to get another S30, but the S50 was just
    slightly more.
    GWB, Sep 3, 2003