    card every time, to read it?

    Thanks,
    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Bill Crocker

    TT Guest

    Il giorno Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:29:07 -0400, Bill Crocker ha scritto:

    > I'm considering moving to SuSE Linux 8.2. I know the (Windows) photo
    > software included with my Canon S50, will not work, no problem. Will I be
    > able to transfer photos via the USB cable, or will I have to pull the CF
    > card every time, to read it?

    Using Linux Mandrake 9.1 release I was able to do so; the camera will
    become a recognizable HD from which copy&paste your shots, as I exactly do
    with Windows XP too.

    --
    30/08/2003 16.44.07
    TT

    TT, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Bill Crocker

    TT Guest

    Il giorno Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:45:38 +0200, TT ha scritto:

    > Il giorno Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:29:07 -0400, Bill Crocker ha scritto:
    >
    >> I'm considering moving to SuSE Linux 8.2. I know the (Windows) photo
    >> software included with my Canon S50, will not work, no problem. Will I be
    >> able to transfer photos via the USB cable, or will I have to pull the CF
    >> card every time, to read it?

    > Using Linux Mandrake 9.1 release I was able to do so; the camera will
    > become a recognizable HD from which copy&paste your shots, as I exactly do
    > with Windows XP too.

    sorry I forget to mention I have not the same camera as you; my own camera
    is Fuji finepix s602 zoom

    --
    30/08/2003 17.52.25
    TT

    TT, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Bill Crocker

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:

    > I'm considering moving to SuSE Linux 8.2. I know the (Windows) photo
    > software included with my Canon S50, will not work, no problem. Will I be
    > able to transfer photos via the USB cable, or will I have to pull the CF
    > card every time, to read it?

    Yes you can use the camera under Linux..

    You can't mount it as a device.. Canon cameras don't support USB mass storage.
    But you still can use it..

    Look for Gphoto2 - the command line utility to talk to your camera and and
    GTkam - The GUI front end.

    I don't know about SuSE, but Mandrake has come with the apps included for over
    a year now. With hotplug, the apps start up automatically when you plug the
    camera in to the USB port.

    (Best bet is still a card reader.. Linux supports those too).

    Jim Townsend, Aug 30, 2003