Canon S45 vs G3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CNT, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. CNT

    CNT Guest

    I hope I am not talking to myself with this NG? <he he> Not much people
    reply to my posts? Maybe I know what I am talking about (doing my homework),
    yet asking?

    Well, anyway... I had my mind set on the G3 for a while. But, I stop and
    thought twice. Really, I want a camera to take with me to more places, thus
    the camera have to be SMALLER than my Nikon 880 (why? because I am not
    taking the Nikon with me as much I want to, even I have the belt-case). So,
    with a G3, I may endup the same routine, right?

    I am back looking at the S45 (actually first it was S50, but now I
    understand about the noise). You know, the Nikon 880 is actually the "Baby
    990", yet lost a lot of features that the 990 had. On the same token, the
    S45 looks like the "Baby G3", yet holds almost all of the same features of
    the G3. Basically the S45 loses the 1x zoom, lens thread, hot-shoe, and the
    nice remote.

    My main point for a digital camera is picture/image quality. All of the
    overall conclusion is the same for G3 and S45 (9-9-8.5-9-9-9). Interesting
    that both were on market same time and are a year old together now,
    fraternal twins?

    Lastly, I didn't stop at the store to hand feel the camera, which I am going
    to do very soon! In close, I like to ask if anyone actually had experienced
    both G3 and S45, please commentsssssss. :)

    Chuck

    CNT, Sep 19, 2003

  2. "CNT" <> wrote in news:3f6a8797$:

    > On the same token, the
    > S45 looks like the "Baby G3", yet holds almost all of the same
    > features of the G3. Basically the S45 loses the 1x zoom, lens thread,
    > hot-shoe, and the nice remote.

    1x zoom sounds like a contradiction in terms. :)

    Constantinople, Sep 19, 2003

  3. CNT wrote:

    > I hope I am not talking to myself with this NG? <he he> Not much people
    > reply to my posts? Maybe I know what I am talking about (doing my homework),
    > yet asking?
    >
    > Well, anyway... I had my mind set on the G3 for a while. But, I stop and
    > thought twice. Really, I want a camera to take with me to more places, thus
    > the camera have to be SMALLER than my Nikon 880 (why? because I am not
    > taking the Nikon with me as much I want to, even I have the belt-case). So,
    > with a G3, I may endup the same routine, right?
    >
    > I am back looking at the S45 (actually first it was S50, but now I
    > understand about the noise). You know, the Nikon 880 is actually the "Baby
    > 990", yet lost a lot of features that the 990 had. On the same token, the
    > S45 looks like the "Baby G3", yet holds almost all of the same features of
    > the G3. Basically the S45 loses the 1x zoom, lens thread, hot-shoe, and the
    > nice remote.
    >
    > My main point for a digital camera is picture/image quality. All of the
    > overall conclusion is the same for G3 and S45 (9-9-8.5-9-9-9). Interesting
    > that both were on market same time and are a year old together now,
    > fraternal twins?
    >
    > Lastly, I didn't stop at the store to hand feel the camera, which I am going
    > to do very soon! In close, I like to ask if anyone actually had experienced
    > both G3 and S45, please commentsssssss. :)
    >
    > Chuck

    I doubt that many folks have both the S45 AND the G3.
    If you have one, there is no compelling reason to get the other.
    I have the Canon S45 and I am very pleased with it
    My primary selection criterion was that it fit in my SHIRT pocket.
    Secondary criteria were, Very sharp 4 MP images (for excellent 8 x 10s), 3X
    or more optical Zoom, Affordable price, Good build, Feels good in my hands.
    I found from long experience with film cameras that whenever I went shooting, my
    pocketable Yashica T4 P&S got used much more than my Canon A-1 SLR even though
    the latter was much more versatile.
    I really like the feature set of the G3, but I think it would suffer the same
    fate as my beloved A-1. A great camera, but where is it when you want it? At
    home, in the car, in the hotel room, left at the restaurant.
    No question that the G3 has more useful features and is more versatile than the
    S45.
    I feel that image quality is about the same and price differential is not
    excessive.
    If pocketability is a prime consideration, choose the S45; otherwise you can't
    go wrong choosing the G3.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Sep 19, 2003
  4. CNT

    JK Guest

    You missed the most important differences. The G3 has a lens that is much
    faster at the telephoto end than the S45. The G3 also has a display that
    rotates.
    If you like to take photos in low light without the flash(and especially candid
    photos shot from the hip), the G3 would be much more useful. The G3 is a
    nice camera, however my personal preference would be for an Olympus C5050
    instead, since the C5050 uses inexpensive AA nimh batteries rather than
    an expensive proprietary battery, and the C5050 is better at macro. The
    C5050 is 5 megapixels vs 4 megapixels for the G3.

    JK, Sep 19, 2003
  5. CNT

    Jon Sturgeon Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:08:00 -0700, "Robert E. Williams"
    <> wrote:

    >I found from long experience with film cameras that whenever I went shooting, my
    >pocketable Yashica T4...

    Great camera. My Yashica T4D has given me years of excellent service.

    Jon

    Jon Sturgeon, Sep 19, 2003
  6. CNT

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > The G3 is a
    > nice camera, however my personal preference would be for an Olympus C5050
    > instead, since the C5050 uses inexpensive AA nimh batteries rather than
    > an expensive proprietary battery, and the C5050 is better at macro. The
    > C5050 is 5 megapixels vs 4 megapixels for the G3.

    Time to stop beating that proprietary battery drum. Batteries for the G3
    can be bought for $11.95. I've used AAs and propreitary batteries and
    I'll take a proprietary pack anyday.

    Yes the 5050 is 5mp vs. 4 on the G3 but the G3 has less noise and better
    picture quality IMHO.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 19, 2003
  7. CNT

    JK Guest

    Less noise on the G3? Were you comparing images at the same iso rating?
    Did you compare images at 400 ISO?

    JK, Sep 19, 2003
  8. CNT

    CNT Guest

    I am aware that the battery on the S45 is short life, but it's a small
    camera. The G3 is bigger, so it has bigger battery. My Nikon battery is
    short too, so I guess I am little used to that. I will just buy an extra
    battery (which I didn't for the Nikon).

    Chuck

    CNT, Sep 19, 2003
  9. CNT

    CNT Guest

    CNT, Sep 19, 2003
  10. go for the canon g5.I have the g2 and its great.but tempted to trade in for
    the 5 megapixels.
    Charlie

    JOHNSONCHARLES5, Sep 19, 2003
  11. CNT

    Kurt Brenner Guest

    > Lastly, I didn't stop at the store to hand feel the camera, which I am going
    > to do very soon!

    Then you will find yourself getting the G3.

    > In close, I like to ask if anyone actually had experienced
    > both G3 and S45, please commentsssssss. :)
    >
    > Chuck

    I chose the G3 and can't understand what everyone is talking about regarding
    it's size. I took it on a walk with me yesterday and it fit in my pants pocket
    with room to spare.

    Kurt Brenner, Sep 19, 2003
  12. CNT

    Kurt Brenner Guest

    JOHNSONCHARLES5 wrote:

    > go for the canon g5.I have the g2 and its great.but tempted to trade in for
    > the 5 megapixels.
    > Charlie

    If I had a G5, I would trade it in for a G3.

    Kurt Brenner, Sep 19, 2003
  13. CNT

    CNT Guest

    First of all, I like the S45 black body (or the G5 too!). Secondly, I prefer
    to buy the 5MP, but the NOISE bothers me. That being said, I never had 4/5MP
    so I don't know for myself. I take the words from pros in here. It may or
    may not be noticeable in 4x6, which is what I do (family pics). I can
    understand for blowing up to 8x10, then that would be where the 5MP shine.
    But how often we do the 8x10? In fact, out of 250 pics printed I have so
    far, only one is 8x10 (and I could notice the jag from the 3.34MP). I do
    have a hard time know what to look for with those samples from dpreview.com,
    I don't know what to look for they all look the same (very very very little
    differences, like a gray instead of white in the full blown images)

    I still have not LOCKED my mind on what to get... but funny that I am
    focusing on Canons instead of Nikon or Sony (for the sake of RAW, even I am
    guessing I will never use the RAW). IF Sony had the RAW, I would get the P92
    (or is it P10?).

    Chuck

    CNT, Sep 19, 2003
  14. CNT

    Kurt Brenner Guest

    > First of all, I like the S45 black body (or the G5 too!).

    Not a good thing when out in the hot sun. Cameras, film or digital, should
    never be black, as that absorbs heat too much.

    > Secondly, I prefer
    > to buy the 5MP, but the NOISE bothers me. That being said, I never had 4/5MP
    > so I don't know for myself. I take the words from pros in here.

    The difference between 4/5 mp is too small to make a purchase decision over.

    > It may or
    > may not be noticeable in 4x6, which is what I do (family pics). I can
    > understand for blowing up to 8x10, then that would be where the 5MP shine.
    > But how often we do the 8x10?

    And when we only had 3 mp SLRs, we were always told that was fine for 8x10
    prints.
    Then when 4 mp came out, that was what you needed for 8x10s and now it is 5
    mp. In a few years, we will be told that nothing less than 10 mp should be
    used for 8x10s.

    I think 3 mp is fine for 8x10 and 4 mp is just a bonus. Anything higher is for
    poster sized prints, and with the panorama mode of the G3, you can get as many
    megapixels as you need for a poster sized print.

    > In fact, out of 250 pics printed I have so
    > far, only one is 8x10

    I don't have any that large yet.

    > I still have not LOCKED my mind on what to get... but funny that I am
    > focusing on Canons instead of Nikon or Sony (for the sake of RAW, even I am
    > guessing I will never use the RAW).

    I haven't used the RAW yet either. The best quality JPG setting is good enough
    for me for now, if I ever find the need for even more resolution, perhaps then I
    will "upgrade" to the RAW setting.

    > IF Sony had the RAW, I would get the P92

    There are much more important things to be concerned with than megapixels and
    RAW. Which one has more accurate colour reproduction? Which one has a
    sharper, clearer picture?

    You can have a 4 megapixel camera without RAW that can take far superior photos
    than a 5 megapixel camera with RAW. Those specs alone mean nothing.
    Lenses, and what the electronics do to process what the CCD gets are much more
    important.

    Kurt Brenner, Sep 19, 2003
  15. CNT

    CNT Guest

    Point well taken, Captain!

    > > First of all, I like the S45 black body (or the G5 too!).

    > Not a good thing when out in the hot sun. Cameras, film or digital,

    should
    > never be black, as that absorbs heat too much.

    Are you sure? I mean I am at the buying point. First of all, (GENERALLY) the
    FIRST and MOST important starting decision is MP, top of the list, then we
    weep over the rest like lens, zoom, whatchmacallit. So, I need to decide if
    I want a 4MP or 5MP. Maybe I have it all wrong, but you know you would sweat
    over the MP at some point (that's why I did a little thread on "MP war?" we
    are worshipping a number of MPs).

    > The difference between 4/5 mp is too small to make a purchase decision

    over.

    LOL, "because of the times"? I agree, this is basically what I am struggling
    with.

    > And when we only had 3 mp SLRs, we were always told that was fine for 8x10
    > prints.
    > Then when 4 mp came out, that was what you needed for 8x10s and now it is

    5
    > mp. In a few years, we will be told that nothing less than 10 mp should

    be
    > used for 8x10s.

    That's a good way of looking at it ;-) That's another thing I lose with S45
    from G3, the panorama.

    > I think 3 mp is fine for 8x10 and 4 mp is just a bonus. Anything higher

    is for
    > poster sized prints, and with the panorama mode of the G3, you can get as

    many
    > megapixels as you need for a poster sized print.

    That's why I picked Nikon for my first digital camera. IF Nikon had a
    simplier size of S45 and in 4MP flavor, I wouldn't be barking in here too
    much.

    > There are much more important things to be concerned with than megapixels

    and
    > RAW. Which one has more accurate colour reproduction? Which one has

    > sharper, clearer picture?

    In close, it's all because of 1/1.8".

    CNT, Sep 19, 2003
  16. CNT

    Guest

    In rec.photo.digital, Kurt Brenner <> wrote:

    > I chose the G3 and can't understand what everyone is talking about regarding
    > it's size. I took it on a walk with me yesterday and it fit in my pants pocket
    > with room to spare.

    But would/could you have it in your pocket at all times?

    --
    ....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

    , Sep 19, 2003
  17. CNT

    CNT Guest

    I don't know about Kurt, but I am referring small as to carry it around with
    me more often, like in my backpack (S45/50 had slide cover len), leave in
    the car glove apt, etc. With the S45, it's like one thing (or two w/battery)
    vs. G3 with buch of stuff to take long (or maybe not?).

    Chuck

    CNT, Sep 19, 2003
  18. >
    > I chose the G3 and can't understand what everyone is talking about regarding
    > it's size. I took it on a walk with me yesterday and it fit in my pants pocket
    > with room to spare.

    .... and as a matter of fact, Canon makes a case for the G3 that attaches to your
    belt. It's not the standard black case that's all over eBay -- it's sort of silver
    in color, matches the G3 pretty closely, and fits like a glove.

    It makes you LOOK like a tourist, but so does almost any camera hanging around your
    neck...

    Robert A. Barr, Sep 19, 2003
  19. CNT

    Sexy Susan Guest

    Learn how to speak English and (perhaps) you will get more responses!
    You stupid cocksucking foreign prick.

    Sexy Susan, Sep 19, 2003
  20. CNT

    Kurt Brenner Guest

    > Are you sure? I mean I am at the buying point. First of all, (GENERALLY) the
    > FIRST and MOST important starting decision is MP, top of the list,

    Any knowledgeable person can tell you this should NOT be your top concern.
    More megapixels does NOT mean better pictures.

    There are 4 megapixel cameras that blow away other 5 megapixel cameras.

    Put a crap lens on a 6 megapixel camera and a real good one on a 3 megapixel
    camera and the 3 megapixel camera will give you much nicer photos. Then
    there are the electronics and methods of processing the data that is important
    too.

    > then we
    > weep over the rest like lens, zoom, whatchmacallit. So, I need to decide if
    > I want a 4MP or 5MP.

    Just consider then basically the same thing. Find the best camera from the
    4/5 mp range looking at OTHER more important things. If it comes down to two
    cameras and one is a 4mp and the other a 5mp, don't get the 5mp one because it
    is more megapixels, get the camera that will give you better photos and has
    better features and ranges.

    > > And when we only had 3 mp SLRs, we were always told that was fine for 8x10
    > > prints.
    > > Then when 4 mp came out, that was what you needed for 8x10s and now it is

    > 5
    > > mp. In a few years, we will be told that nothing less than 10 mp should

    > be
    > > used for 8x10s.

    > That's a good way of looking at it ;-) That's another thing I lose with S45
    > from G3, the panorama.

    And when you use the panorama mode, you can have as many megapixels as you
    want. You can take four shots and have the software put them together and
    have almost a 12 megapixel photo. Use more shots and have as many megapixels
    as you want.

    > That's why I picked Nikon for my first digital camera. IF Nikon had a
    > simplier size of S45 and in 4MP flavor, I wouldn't be barking in here too
    > much.

    I don't understand the size issue at all. I never even thought about size
    when I bought any of my cameras at all. Also keep in mind the best cameras
    that exist and the worst ones that exist, and the best ones will all be bigger
    than the worst ones. Think about it.

    Kurt Brenner, Sep 19, 2003