Canon s410 and standard (powered) USB mini-B cable

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Faughnan, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. The Canon s410 has abandoned Canon's proprietary data/AV cable in
    favor of a mini-B USB cable connector and a standard video connector.
    Since I've never used the TV/video out on any camera I don't care
    about that, but I do like their use of a (cheap) standard cable.

    Except that there's a "lump" in their cable; I presume it's there to
    eliminate the 5V USB output. I found the same thing on my old CLIE
    cables.

    So, what would happen if one used a standard mini-B USB cable with
    this camera? It would deliver 5 unwanted volts. Anyone try this?

    Not that I'm keen to try, but it would be handy to carry one less
    cable (ex:the Tungsten T syncs and charges with a mini-B).

    john

    PS. I have a mini-review running comparing this camera to our prior
    mini-digital, the s230.

    http://googlefaughnan.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_googlefaughnan_archive.html#109112633979502435

    I don't think it looks as elegant as the s230 and it's definitely
    fatter. 3x zoom and 4 mpx is awfully nice though. I considered the
    s500, but it seems like picture quality suffers in that range. I'm
    impressed with the problems we're seeing in the 5+ mpixel images with
    these thumbnail sized CCDs.

    I'll be comparing the s410 as well to my much loved G2.
    John Faughnan, Jul 30, 2004

  2. (John Faughnan) writes:

    >Except that there's a "lump" in their cable; I presume it's there to
    >eliminate the 5V USB output. I found the same thing on my old CLIE
    >cables.

    It's more likely just a ferrite choke around the cable to reduce radio
    interference effects. If Canon wanted to produce a special cable that
    doesn't have 5 V on the camera end, all they need to do is not connect
    one pin of the connector at one end of the cable. But there's no need
    to make the cable non-standard; they could just fail to connect the
    power pin inside the camera.

    >So, what would happen if one used a standard mini-B USB cable with
    >this camera? It would deliver 5 unwanted volts. Anyone try this?

    What makes you think that the cable is non-standard? Have you checked
    for the presence of 5 V on the camera end of the cable?

    As for "what would happen", probably nothing. It *would* be nice if the
    camera would operate in its data transfer mode using only USB power,
    without a battery installed, but this isn't likely because the camera
    isn't designed for 5 V operation. And there's not much point in doing
    so, since USB doesn't provide enough current to actually operate the
    camera or recharge the battery.

    >Not that I'm keen to try, but it would be handy to carry one less
    >cable (ex:the Tungsten T syncs and charges with a mini-B).

    If I remember correctly, the Palms with a mini-B connector also have a
    3.5 mm power jack for normal charging via their wall wart power supply.
    They may also charge through their USB connector, but charging takes
    longer because USB doesn't provide enough current.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Aug 2, 2004

  3. (Dave Martindale) wrote in message news:<celura$207$>...

    > It's more likely just a ferrite choke around the cable to reduce radio
    > interference effects. If Canon wanted to produce a special cable that
    > doesn't have 5 V on the camera end, all they need to do is not connect
    > one pin of the connector at one end of the cable. But there's no need
    > to make the cable non-standard; they could just fail to connect the
    > power pin inside the camera.

    Thanks Dave, this makes lots of sense. I'll check the pin counts. I'll
    also try using the Canon USB mini-B cable to charge a USB device.
    Assuming it's a standard cable I'll stop carrying it and use my
    Zip-Linq retractable instead.

    > If I remember correctly, the Palms with a mini-B connector also have a
    > 3.5 mm power jack for normal charging via their wall wart power supply.
    > They may also charge through their USB connector, but charging takes
    > longer because USB doesn't provide enough current.

    I used to charge my Tungsten T via USB (used standard mini-B, and I
    charge my CLIE TJ-27 via USB (requires special cable - yech). Both
    charged very well. It took longer, but I just left them charging
    overnight.

    john

    meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, camera, s410, USB cable

    John Faughnan, Aug 3, 2004
  4. John Faughnan

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    (Dave Martindale) wrote in news:celura$207$2
    @nntp.itservices.ubc.ca:

    > (John Faughnan) writes:
    >
    >>Except that there's a "lump" in their cable; I presume it's there to
    >>eliminate the 5V USB output. I found the same thing on my old CLIE
    >>cables.

    > It's more likely just a ferrite choke around the cable to reduce radio
    > interference effects. If Canon wanted to produce a special cable that
    > doesn't have 5 V on the camera end, all they need to do is not connect
    > one pin of the connector at one end of the cable. But there's no need
    > to make the cable non-standard; they could just fail to connect the
    > power pin inside the camera.
    >
    >>So, what would happen if one used a standard mini-B USB cable with
    >>this camera? It would deliver 5 unwanted volts. Anyone try this?

    > What makes you think that the cable is non-standard? Have you checked
    > for the presence of 5 V on the camera end of the cable?
    >
    > As for "what would happen", probably nothing. It *would* be nice if the
    > camera would operate in its data transfer mode using only USB power,
    > without a battery installed, but this isn't likely because the camera
    > isn't designed for 5 V operation. And there's not much point in doing
    > so, since USB doesn't provide enough current to actually operate the
    > camera or recharge the battery.
    >
    >>Not that I'm keen to try, but it would be handy to carry one less
    >>cable (ex:the Tungsten T syncs and charges with a mini-B).

    > If I remember correctly, the Palms with a mini-B connector also have a
    > 3.5 mm power jack for normal charging via their wall wart power supply.
    > They may also charge through their USB connector, but charging takes
    > longer because USB doesn't provide enough current.

    I use the same cable for my Palm Tunsten E and my Canon S400. I don't think
    there is anything special about this cable.
    Fuzzy Logic, Aug 3, 2004