    this purpose would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks,
    Stan

    Stan, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Stan

    Stan Guest

    ..

    Stan, Jul 29, 2003

  3. Stan

    Ryan Li Guest

    In article <>,
    Stan <> wrote:
    > Can anyone out there who may have used both of these cams tell me which
    > one is faster? I like both units (obviously the 400 has higher resolution
    > and is therefore preferred for that reason, but the Nikon feels better)
    > but my final decision is going to be based on performance from
    > button-press to image capture as this cam will be used almost exclusively
    > for taking pictures of my kids games and holidays, etc. My old Canon A30
    > was miserable in all but the brightest light, and I want to make sure I
    > end up with something that performs well enough to replace film for quick
    > shots and action shots. Any other recommendations in the price range that
    > might be better for this purpose would be appreciated as well.

    Definitely avoid the Coolpix series. They're infamous for their dog-slow
    focusing, which is fine for still subjects but when you're shooting action
    shots you'll have a very hard time. Trust me, I used to shoot soccer with a
    Nikon, and it was very much hit and miss (thankfully I was able to take lots
    of shots on a large memory card).

    As for low-light portraits with or without flash, don't even go there;
    basically it will be very VERY slow, and even when it eventually gets there
    it will have got to the wrong place (e.g. severe backfocusing, when it
    mistakenly focuses to a light source in the background). I've had this
    experience with the Nikon 995 BTW, but I can't see it being much (if at all)
    better in the 3100.

    With the Canon IXUS (Powershot) series, at least you have a focus assist
    beam which helps give you dead on focusing in low-light, I can confirm that
    having used the 1st-gen IXUS (S100), and more recently the IXUS II (SD100)
    which should perform very similarly to the IXUS 400 (S400). Whilst I can't
    say it is the best choice for action shots, it is not bad if you're fast
    enough, and in any case better than a Nikon.

    You might like to look at other digicams with faster startup times/shutter
    lag etc. I've not owned one, but having handled a Pentax Optio S for
    instance I found the zooming to be a lot quicker than either my Canons or
    Nikon. When I shot soccer with my Nikon 995, I missed some shots because I
    couldn't zoom from tele back to wide quickly enough as the players got close
    to me. This aspect of speed never seems to be mentioned in reviews (or I
    must have missed it) and may be important to you.

    BTW check out www.dpreview.com if you haven't already done so, lots of data
    on performance speeds.

    --
    Ryan Li - replace no.spam with vzero.com to email

    Weird Things In Video Games [ http://weird.vzero.com/ ]
    Visual Experience: Digital Photography [ http://ve.vzero.com/ ]

    Ryan Li, Jul 30, 2003
  4. Stan

    Stan Guest

    > You might like to look at other digicams with faster startup times/shutter
    > lag etc. I've not owned one, but having handled a Pentax Optio S for
    > instance I found the zooming to be a lot quicker than either my Canons or
    > Nikon. When I shot soccer with my Nikon 995, I missed some shots because I
    > couldn't zoom from tele back to wide quickly enough as the players got close
    > to me. This aspect of speed never seems to be mentioned in reviews (or I
    > must have missed it) and may be important to you.
    >
    > BTW check out www.dpreview.com if you haven't already done so, lots of data
    > on performance speeds.

    Thanks for the info guys. After reading this, and talking to a few
    people, it looks like my best bet for getting shots of the kids is to
    buy a modern 35MM and get processing done somewhere that I can get
    digital and prints (or just digital). It kinda seems like in some
    ways digital cams just aren't "there" yet. (I'm sure the $5500
    SLR-body digitals are just fine, not going there.....)
    Thanks,
    Stan

    Stan, Aug 8, 2003