Canon S300 Digital Camera is not functioning properly

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JR, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. JR

    JR Guest

    I own a Canon PowerShot S300, which has been an excellent camera.
    However, it recently began having a problem. It seems to be defective
    and in need of repair. Please let me know if anyone can help.

    When I turn the camera on, it does the following depending on which
    mode the camera is in:

    Replay Mode: The Upper Indicator light flashes green once, and the
    Power Lamp remains lit with a green light. Nothing is displayed on
    the LCD monitor, and none of the menu, zoom, or display buttons have
    any effect on the camera.

    Shooting Modes: The Upper Indicator light flashes green repeatedly
    while the lens comes out, then the lens retracts, after which there is
    no response to any button. At this point, the Upper Indicator light is
    off and the Power Lamp remains lit with a green light, but even
    pressing the on/off button fails to cause any action. In fact, the
    only way to turn off the Power Lamp is to switch the Mode Dial to
    Replay Mode, then the power can be turned off.

    The camera works fine when connected to a computer via USB. I've tried
    using different batteries. Every once in a while the camera will
    start to work properly: in Replay Mode it will display images on the
    LCD monitor, but after a few seconds it will turn off and revert to
    its disfunctional mode. In Shooting Mode, the camera may even take a
    few pictures, but when it turns itself off, the lens doesn't retract,
    and all power is off--there is no response from the on/off button--as
    if no battery is present. The only way to get the lens to retract is
    to wait a while and try turning on the power. Eventually, the camera
    will respond by going into the disfunctional mode as described above,
    and the lens will then retract.

    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    JR, Dec 11, 2003

  2. JR

    jriegle Guest

    I know you said that you changed the batteries, but you may want to remove
    the batteries for several minutes to be sure the camera's memory registers
    are cleared. There's a small possibility that a "cold boot" would clear the
    problem.
    John

    jriegle, Dec 12, 2003

  3. JR

    JR Guest

    John,
    Thanks for the idea. I gave it a try but it still shut itself off
    after about 20 seconds. As is the case many times it would not turn
    back on right away. I tried removing the battery and putting it back
    in, but still nothing. I tried attaching it to my pc with the usb,
    still nothing. Finally, I removed the CF card and after putting it
    back in, it responded when I turned it on. It is making me think a
    wire is loose inside or something... Thanks again

    JR, Dec 12, 2003
  4. JR

    DHB Guest

    JR,
    as an ET I've been trained to systematically eliminate the possible
    causes when a malfunction happens.

    <1> Try the camera with a different CF card.

    <2> Try the camera with a different battery.

    Defective components don't always fail in expected ways. The battery
    might have enough power to "sometimes" operate some functions but not
    consistently. The CF card may be malfunctioning is some way that draws too
    much power from the camera & at times causes it to "lock-up" or shut down.

    Your reference that it seems to work OK when connected to your PC makes
    me think the CF card may be the problem. If you don't have another battery
    or CF to try, you may be able to bring your camera into a camera store where
    they may have & let you try 1 of each on your camera to see if it fixes the
    problem. They may do this in the hopes of selling you either a new battery,
    CF or camera depending on which proves defective.

    Best of luck, not the best time of year to be without your trusted
    little camera so I hope it turns out to be an inexpensive & quickly remedied
    problem.

    Respectively, DHB

    DHB, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Trained extra-terrestrial discovered - was: Re: Canon S300 Digital Camera is not functioning properly

    > JR,
    > as an ET I've been trained to systematically eliminate the

    possible
    > causes when a malfunction happens.

    An ET? Wow.

    <G>

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 14, 2003
  6. JR

    JR Guest

    DHB,

    Thank you very much for the recommendations. I will try the
    systematic elimination as noted.

    When you mentioned the CF card being a possibility, it reminded me
    that the malfunction first started when I had borrowed a friends 256
    meg CF card back in October. At that point the malfunction lasted 1
    day. The camera then worked fine for about 2 months. Recently when it
    started to do it again for a few days, I had not changed cards, but
    maybe the initial switching of the cards had something to do with it.

    Remarkably, the camera has worked fine for the last few days. I used
    it extensively on Sunday without any malfunctions and each time I've
    turned it on since it has worked.

    Thanks again. JR

    JR, Dec 17, 2003