    I read a review that said that the S45 has new internals and a new
    white balancing system. I was wondering what people's experiences
    were with shooting people (mostly indoors) with the S45 are?

    daniel, Nov 7, 2003

  2. daniel

    Joe Guest

    "daniel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have Canon Powershot S30 and love everything about it except I can't
    > stand the photos it takes of people, which makes them look terrible,
    > both with and without the flash. I have tried many thing to
    > compensate and on a good day with the right settings its shots of
    > people can be marginal at best.
    >
    > I read a review that said that the S45 has new internals and a new
    > white balancing system. I was wondering what people's experiences
    > were with shooting people (mostly indoors) with the S45 are?

    If you want one, you'd better hurry, they're being discontinued

    Joe, Nov 7, 2003

  3. daniel

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Go for the S50!

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Nov 8, 2003
  4. daniel

    daniel Guest

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:22:38 -0500, "Bill Crocker"
    <> wrote:

    >Go for the S50!

    What about the supposed noise issues with the S50 compared with the
    S45?

    daniel, Nov 9, 2003
  5. daniel

    daniel Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:43:12 GMT, daniel <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:22:38 -0500, "Bill Crocker"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Go for the S50!

    >What about the supposed noise issues with the S50 compared with the
    >S45?

    At dpreview he states " ...other than the five megapixel sensor, case
    cover, silk screen labels and embossed chrome '5.0 mega pixels' strap
    eyelet it really is the same camera. Thanks to Sony's 1/1.8" five
    megapixel CCD sensor the S50 becomes 'yet another' digital camera
    originally designed for the 1/1.8" four megapixel sensor and quickly
    upgraded to continue to compete in the (ever more ridiculous)
    megapixel race."

    I kind of agree with this. His point seems pretty valid to me. I
    find the 3MP resolution fine enough. My primary reason to upgrade
    would be for better internals, color-rendering, and hopefully
    white-balancing. I have never been happy with people shots with the
    S30 although just about every other type of shot I take with it turns
    out spectacular. I once had a Nikon 885 for about a week but ended up
    returning it because of pretty serious purple fringing, but the indoor
    shots of people it took were really great. Same thing for a friend's
    Nikon 995 and also a friend who has a Sony. In an ideal world I would
    have a Nikon for people and a Canon for everything else.

    daniel, Nov 9, 2003
  6. daniel

    daniel Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 04:41:15 GMT, daniel <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:43:12 GMT, daniel <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:22:38 -0500, "Bill Crocker"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Go for the S50!

    >>What about the supposed noise issues with the S50 compared with the
    >>S45?
    >>

    >At dpreview he states " ...other than the five megapixel sensor, case
    >cover, silk screen labels and embossed chrome '5.0 mega pixels' strap
    >eyelet it really is the same camera. Thanks to Sony's 1/1.8" five
    >megapixel CCD sensor the S50 becomes 'yet another' digital camera
    >originally designed for the 1/1.8" four megapixel sensor and quickly
    >upgraded to continue to compete in the (ever more ridiculous)
    >megapixel race."
    >
    >I kind of agree with this. His point seems pretty valid to me. I
    >find the 3MP resolution fine enough. My primary reason to upgrade
    >would be for better internals, color-rendering, and hopefully
    >white-balancing. I have never been happy with people shots with the
    >S30 although just about every other type of shot I take with it turns
    >out spectacular. I once had a Nikon 885 for about a week but ended up
    >returning it because of pretty serious purple fringing, but the indoor
    >shots of people it took were really great. Same thing for a friend's
    >Nikon 995 and also a friend who has a Sony. In an ideal world I would
    >have a Nikon for people and a Canon for everything else.

    One last note on this: it doesn't seem surprising to me that a Canon
    could get a high rating on dpreview yet not take great people shots.
    Just looking at the photos in the review: they are mostly technical
    photos of still-lifes, color charts, crosshairs, etc., e.g. photos of
    cold, impersonal objects under laboratory-like conditions.

    daniel, Nov 9, 2003