    on ISO 100 with Manual Mode are not as bright. Any ideas
    how the Fast Shutter Mode gets the extra speed?
    Thanks - mark P.
    mark popp, Feb 7, 2004

  2. mark popp

    Linda_N Guest

    "mark popp" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I recently bought a Canon S30 on eBay and am trying to find
    > the best settings for taking action photo's. It seems that
    > the Fast Shutter Mode gathers more light than the Shutter
    > priority or manual modes. If I take a picture in Fast Shutter
    > Mode and look at the aperture/shutter settings, these
    > settings will not produce as bright a picture if they are
    > set in the TV (shutter priority) or Manual mode. The book
    > says that Fast Shutter Mode uses ISO 50-100 but photos taken
    > on ISO 100 with Manual Mode are not as bright. Any ideas
    > how the Fast Shutter Mode gets the extra speed?
    > Thanks - mark P.

    I have the S30 too.

    The ISO value you want will depend in part on how fast the object is moving,
    as well as the amount of available light. An ISO setting of 50-100 would not
    be sufficient for trying to stop action of a hardball thrown at 119 miles an
    hour on a ball field that is partially shaded for instance, but it may be
    fine for a small child running on a brightly sun lite beach. You have to
    bear in mind that higher ISO settings normally lead to more grain being
    introduced into the resulting image therefore if a faster shutter speed is
    not necessary keep the ISO low, with 50 introducing the least noise on the
    S30.

    There is no mention of how dim/low light the area you are shooting your
    action shots in, but it seems you want to use Manual mode. Assuming you are
    in a gymnasium that is fairly well lite (it if it too dimly lit you will
    need a tripod or at least something to jar the camera against) here is a
    starting point. You will have to play from there. In M mode turn (also turn
    on the display to you can see the results of your settings as you change
    them). Set ISO to 100. Next set the aperture to the widest possible (f 2.8
    at full wide angle and 4.5 if in telephoto zoom). Now keep an eye on the LCD
    while you adjust the shutter speed. Use the highest possible shutter speed
    that will give you the correct exposure. Generally if you have to use a
    shutter speed of 1/60 or less a tripod should be considered because at this
    shutter speed even the slightest of shake will decrease the sharpness of the
    image.

    Linda.
    Linda_N, Feb 8, 2004