    said to work with the S3 as it's worked better for me as I learned more
    about it.
    Scott

    SJ, Oct 23, 2006

  2. "SJ" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I've really been reading up and practicing with the S3 and using it in
    > program mode. It's seems though, I get much better less noisy shots
    > with the flash up, even though the subject is beyond the flashes
    > capability (over meters). Does this make sense. In a semi-poorly lit
    > situation, such as a church, with my subject great than the flash
    > range, I get a better(less noisy shot) with the flash up rather than
    > down, regardless of ISO. This is on the program mode, not auto, so I
    > know the ISO ahead of time, and have the camera set on max resolution.
    > Any sense to this at all? Thanks to all who said to work with the S3
    > as it's worked better for me as I learned more about it.

    Just look at the exif information of the picture after the picture has been
    taken and don't assume you know which ISO was actually used. The noise will
    basically depend on two things

    - the actual ISO used. It is basically a multiplier so there is no miracle,
    all other things being equal the shot will be noisier at 400 than it is at
    100.

    - the signal/noise ratio of the subject. If your flash raises the signal to
    noise ratio from 10-1 to 20-1, the initial uncorrected result might no look
    too good (still underexposed for example), but the streched result will
    probably be better.

    Pierre/PhotoRescue

    Pierre Vandevennne, Oct 24, 2006

  3. SJ

    SJ Guest

    "Pierre Vandevennne" <pierre@datarescue_ns.com> wrote in message
    "SJ" <> wrote in

    > I've really been reading up and practicing with the S3 and using it in
    > program mode. It's seems though, I get much better less noisy shots
    > with the flash up, even though the subject is beyond the flashes
    > capability (over meters). Does this make sense. In a semi-poorly lit
    > situation, such as a church, with my subject great than the flash
    > range, I get a better(less noisy shot) with the flash up rather than
    > down, regardless of ISO. This is on the program mode, not auto, so I
    > know the ISO ahead of time, and have the camera set on max resolution.
    > Any sense to this at all? Thanks to all who said to work with the S3
    > as it's worked better for me as I learned more about it.

    Just look at the exif information of the picture after the picture has been
    taken and don't assume you know which ISO was actually used. The noise will
    basically depend on two things

    - the actual ISO used. It is basically a multiplier so there is no miracle,
    all other things being equal the shot will be noisier at 400 than it is at
    100.

    - the signal/noise ratio of the subject. If your flash raises the signal to
    noise ratio from 10-1 to 20-1, the initial uncorrected result might no look
    too good (still underexposed for example), but the streched result will
    probably be better.

    Pierre, I don't understand the second part of your response.
    Scott

    SJ, Oct 24, 2006
  4. "SJ" <> wrote in

    > - the signal/noise ratio of the subject. If your flash raises the
    > signal to noise ratio from 10-1 to 20-1, the initial uncorrected
    > result might no look too good (still underexposed for example), but
    > the streched result will probably be better.

    > Pierre, I don't understand the second part of your response.
    > Scott

    Well, basically I was saying that, in most cases, a little more light can
    make a big difference with the most underexposed areas of a picture,
    especially if you post-process it a bit (histgram adjustment, eventually
    curves, etc...).

    Pierre Vandevennne, Oct 26, 2006
  5. SJ

    Heyjohn Guest

    SJ wrote:
    >> - the signal/noise ratio of the subject. If your flash raises the signal to
    >> noise ratio from 10-1 to 20-1, the initial uncorrected result might no look
    >> too good (still underexposed for example), but the streched result will
    >> probably be better.
    >>

    > Pierre, I don't understand the second part of your response.
    > Scott

    Scott, I've noticed on my digital shots that shooting dark
    is best and going for post enhancing in photoshop makes for
    great photos. Basically, using the camera to capture the detail
    and using post production to finish the photo. I don't know why
    a digital is able to capture so much detail in the dark areas, vs
    a traditional 35mm shot.

    Heyjohn, Oct 26, 2006