    the PC, while the H5 cannot. The H5 has a large display, while the S3 does
    not. Which one should I buy? They are priced almost the same. Thank you.

    T.I.

    Talal Itani, Jul 9, 2006

  2. Talal Itani

    sally Guest

    "Talal Itani" <> wrote in
    news:k5dsg.5239$Ep.1907@trnddc08:
    > I am shopping for a digital camera. I narrowed down my search to
    > two cameras: The Sony Canon S3 and the Sony H5. The S3 can be
    > controlled by the PC, while the H5 cannot. The H5 has a large
    > display, while the S3 does not. Which one should I buy? They are
    > priced almost the same. Thank you.

    The Canon LCD folds out, which is a very nice feature when you're taking
    pictures at odd angles (e.g., over a crowd or at ground level).

    This review compares the image quaility of the H5 and S3 (and a few
    others): http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyH5/
    They do conclude that the H5 is not much better than the much cheaper H2.

    sally, Jul 9, 2006

  3. Talal Itani

    Alan Browne Guest

    Talal Itani wrote:

    > I am shopping for a digital camera. I narrowed down my search to two
    > cameras: The Sony Canon S3 and the Sony H5. The S3 can be controlled by

    Since neither is an SLR, please keep the discussion off of the
    ..slr-systems group.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jul 9, 2006
  4. Alan Browne wrote:
    > Talal Itani wrote:
    >
    >> I am shopping for a digital camera. I narrowed down my search to two
    >> cameras: The Sony Canon S3 and the Sony H5. The S3 can be
    >> controlled by

    > Since neither is an SLR, please keep the discussion off of the
    > .slr-systems group.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    rec.photo.digital.zlr would appear to be the most appropriate group.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 10, 2006
  5. I took a quick look at the Canon S3-IS and the Sony H2.
    I found the eyepiece electronic finder unacceptably unsharp
    even with my best efforts to focus the eyepiece; the Sony's
    finder is considerably better. I would consider the H2 over
    the H5 for its lower image noise levels (the images are otherwise
    similar, so why pay the extra?).
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

    David Ruether, Aug 20, 2006
  6. "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    >I took a quick look at the Canon S3-IS and the Sony H2.
    > I found the eyepiece electronic finder unacceptably unsharp
    > even with my best efforts to focus the eyepiece; the Sony's
    > finder is considerably better. I would consider the H2 over
    > the H5 for its lower image noise levels (the images are otherwise
    > similar, so why pay the extra?).
    > --

    AS far as i know, H2 has lower noise becasue of different noise reduction
    program, which however is not as good as one in H5. If you read reviews, as
    one in dpreview.com, i think that conclusion is that S3 still has nicer
    picture, more even in colors, etc... read one article about comparing S3, H5
    and panasonic FZ7 - note especially shot at ISO800 made wth FZ7 - noise
    reduction is so strong that pic is quite useless...

    Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\), Aug 20, 2006
  7. Talal Itani

    SJ Guest

    Two things I hate about the H5, although it may be a better overall camera
    than the Canon, are the much larger bulky size, and the Sony "only" memory
    stick.

    David, I am in the same boat as you. I can't quiet decide on the Canon,
    Sony, or the panasonic. I'm leaning towards the Canon, but haven't handled
    the Panasonic. One drawback on the FZ7 is it only uses the rechargable
    battery from Panasonic.

    SJ, Aug 20, 2006
  8. Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:
    []
    > AS far as i know, H2 has lower noise becasue of different noise
    > reduction program, which however is not as good as one in H5. If you
    > read reviews, as one in dpreview.com, i think that conclusion is that
    > S3 still has nicer picture, more even in colors, etc... read one
    > article about comparing S3, H5 and panasonic FZ7 - note especially
    > shot at ISO800 made wth FZ7 - noise reduction is so strong that pic
    > is quite useless...

    ... any of the image-stabilised, small sensor cameras will struggle at ISO
    800.

    BTW: this discussion is about ZLR cameras, and is not within the charter
    for the point+shoot group. Corrected. It probably shouldn't be cross
    posted either....

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 20, 2006
  9. Talal Itani

    Guest

    compare here,:
    http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co.../Still-Imaging-Performance--Image-Quality.htm

    , Aug 24, 2006
  10. <> wrote in message news:...

    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I am shopping for a digital camera. I narrowed down my search to two cameras: The Sony Canon S3 and the Sony H5. The S3 can
    >> > be
    >> > controlled by the PC, while the H5 cannot. The H5 has a large display, while the S3 does not. Which one should I buy? They
    >> > are
    >> > priced almost the same. Thank you.
    >> >
    >> > T.I.

    > compare here,:
    > http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co.../Still-Imaging-Performance--Image-Quality.htm

    Nice comparison (too bad it didn't include the Sony H2...).
    Still, the softer viewfinder of the Canon compared with the
    Sony tilts it toward the Sony for me. If you can't see in the
    finder what you are getting (except for framing, but not
    sharpness/focus-point), well, what's the point of some
    other minor advantages...? ;-) As I said before, the H2
    likely has some image advantages over the H5, in addition
    to lower price - but all of the cameras included in the test
    are good cameras (the OP wouldn't do badly choosing
    any of these, plus a few more...).

    David Ruether, Aug 25, 2006