    image quality. Maybe my hand was not steady enpugh.

    -John-
    , May 13, 2006

  2. Gordon Guest

    I have the S2IS and I am very happy with it. I don't remember the
    differences with the S3 version.
    Gordon

    Gordon, May 14, 2006

  3. russell Guest

    I have an S1, S2 and have had an S3 for a week. I think the S1 was great and
    the S3 is Awesome. I just wish I hadn't spent my "hard earned" on the S2. I
    will be keeping the S1 and trying to sell the S2. I really think the S2 is
    the odd one out.

    russell

    russell, May 14, 2006
  4. DubDriver Guest

    "russell" <> wrote in message
    >I have an S1, S2 and have had an S3 for a week. I think the S1 was great
    >and the S3 is Awesome. I just wish I hadn't spent my "hard earned" on the
    >S2. I will be keeping the S1 and trying to sell the S2. I really think the
    >S2 is the odd one out.

    Why do you think that?
    DubDriver, May 14, 2006
  5. y_p_w Guest

    wrote:

    > I have been contemplating purchasing the Canon S3 IS for quite some
    > time now. I want something that a beginner as well as an intermediate
    > user coud appreciate within the $450 - $500 range. The reviews so far
    > tout it as a good choice. Are there any Canon S3 owners out there?

    It just came out, so there are only going to be a limited
    number of people who have their hands on one. I've got
    the S1 IS, and I just ordered one as an upgrade. My big
    concern will be a different memory card format (S1 IS used
    CF), but new SD cards can be bought dirt cheap. I do like
    the black color though - to me cameras should be black.

    > Care to share your opinion? Should I be looking at other
    > brands/models?
    >
    > Importants points for me:
    >
    > High quality images
    > Rechargable batteries
    > 12X optical zoom
    > Image stabilization
    > Small size

    The batteries are simply 4 AAs. You can use alkalines,
    which I believe come in the box. I think you'd be lucky
    to get 100 pictures from a set of alkalines. I tried
    alkalines when I first got my S1 IS, and it quit around
    60 shots. Invest in several sets of high quality AAs
    and a good charger, and you're set.

    My main concern with my S1 IS was the lack of an AF-
    assist lamp, which the S2 IS took care of. I take a lot
    of indoor sports pictures without a flash, and the new
    one is supposed to be far less noisy and has an ISO 800
    setting.

    > My last camera was the Fujifilm S7000. I was never crazy about the
    > image quality. Maybe my hand was not steady enpugh.

    Image stabilization isn't the complete answer. If your
    hand isn't steady enough, you'll still get a blurry
    image at low shutter speeds.
    y_p_w, May 15, 2006
  6. y_p_w Guest

    y_p_w wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Care to share your opinion? Should I be looking at other
    > > brands/models?
    > >
    > > Importants points for me:
    > >
    > > High quality images
    > > Rechargable batteries
    > > 12X optical zoom
    > > Image stabilization
    > > Small size

    > The batteries are simply 4 AAs. You can use alkalines,
    > which I believe come in the box. I think you'd be lucky
    > to get 100 pictures from a set of alkalines. I tried
    > alkalines when I first got my S1 IS, and it quit around
    > 60 shots. Invest in several sets of high quality AAs
    > and a good charger, and you're set.

    That should read, "Invest in several sets of high quality
    NiMH AA's....."

    > My main concern with my S1 IS was the lack of an AF-
    > assist lamp, which the S2 IS took care of. I take a lot
    > of indoor sports pictures without a flash, and the new
    > one is supposed to be far less noisy and has an ISO 800
    > setting.
    >
    > > My last camera was the Fujifilm S7000. I was never crazy about the
    > > image quality. Maybe my hand was not steady enpugh.

    > Image stabilization isn't the complete answer. If your
    > hand isn't steady enough, you'll still get a blurry
    > image at low shutter speeds.

    A monopod can help. That combined with the IS can
    really reduce camera shake.
    y_p_w, May 15, 2006
  7. Ian B Guest

    I'm looking at either the Panasonic FZ30 or Canon S3 IS. They are so similar
    except FZ30 is 8mp, However, I noticed the CCD on Canon is 1/2.5" (6mp)
    whereas the FZ30 is 1/1.8" (8mp). It seems the Canon has a bigger CCD but
    smaller in mp? What is the significance of this?

    If someone could explain this in basic terms I would be grateful.

    Thanks,
    Ian

    Ian B, May 16, 2006
  8. ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:53:25 +0100, Ian B wrote:

    > However, I noticed the CCD on Canon is 1/2.5" (6mp)
    > whereas the FZ30 is 1/1.8" (8mp). It seems the Canon has a bigger CCD
    > but smaller in mp? What is the significance of this?

    Murky math. Which is larger, 1/2 or 1/10?
    ASAAR, May 16, 2006
  9. y_p_w Guest

    Ian B wrote:
    > I'm looking at either the Panasonic FZ30 or Canon S3 IS. They are so similar
    > except FZ30 is 8mp, However, I noticed the CCD on Canon is 1/2.5" (6mp)
    > whereas the FZ30 is 1/1.8" (8mp). It seems the Canon has a bigger CCD but
    > smaller in mp? What is the significance of this?

    I'm not usually one to think that the "megapixel race" is that big a
    deal except for marketing types or for those who really want to make
    big prints. The majority posting to online galleries or sending via
    email don't send 3 MB files, but downsize for display. I think 640 x
    480 is a fairly representative size. Maybe even 800 x 600.

    Actually - 1/1.8" is larger than 1/2.5". It's a diagonal measurement,
    like televisions. It gets complicated because the measurement isn't
    the actual diagonal measurement of the sensor.

    <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02100402sensorsizes.asp>

    What the final result brings depends on way too many factors than
    the size of the sensor. Part of it is the individual size of the
    pixel. A larger pixel will grab more light and theoretically can bring
    in more information with less noise. It's not exactly that simple,
    but it gets too detailed to explain in a few paragraphs.

    Larger sensors are good in theory. However - they need larger
    lenses to capture the same effective zoom. The real revolution
    will be when the current compact sensors approach the noise
    level of today's dSLRs. Of course the dSLR sensors will likely
    improve by that time.
    y_p_w, May 16, 2006
  10. On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:53:25 +0100, Ian B <> wrote:
    > I'm looking at either the Panasonic FZ30 or Canon S3 IS. They are so similar
    > except FZ30 is 8mp, However, I noticed the CCD on Canon is 1/2.5" (6mp)
    > whereas the FZ30 is 1/1.8" (8mp). It seems the Canon has a bigger CCD but
    > smaller in mp? What is the significance of this?
    >
    > If someone could explain this in basic terms I would be grateful.

    Actually, you've got the relative sizes of the sensors backwards; the
    FZ30 has a somewhat larger sensor than the S3IS. See this for details:
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm

    Without doing the math, I suspect that the area per pixel is roughly
    comparable for the two cameras, and the FZ30's sensor is bigger because
    it has more pixels.

    It should be noted, by the way, that the FZ30 isn't really equivalent to
    the S3; it's a bigger, somewhat higher-end, model with features like a
    flash hot-shoe and a manually-driven zoom ring. The right camera in
    Panasonic's line to compare with is the FZ7.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, May 16, 2006
  11. On Tue, 16 May 2006 17:06:39 GMT, Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:53:25 +0100, Ian B <> wrote:
    >> I'm looking at either the Panasonic FZ30 or Canon S3 IS. They are so similar
    >> except FZ30 is 8mp, However, I noticed the CCD on Canon is 1/2.5" (6mp)
    >> whereas the FZ30 is 1/1.8" (8mp). It seems the Canon has a bigger CCD but
    >> smaller in mp? What is the significance of this?
    >>
    >> If someone could explain this in basic terms I would be grateful.

    > Actually, you've got the relative sizes of the sensors backwards; the
    > FZ30 has a somewhat larger sensor than the S3IS. See this for details:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm
    >
    > Without doing the math, I suspect that the area per pixel is roughly
    > comparable for the two cameras, and the FZ30's sensor is bigger because
    > it has more pixels.

    OK, fine, I did the math.
    S3IS: 4.1 square microns/pixel
    FZ30: 4.7 square microns/pixel
    A bit of an advantage to the Panasonic, but not a significant
    difference.

    Just for comparison, a Canon 350XT DSLR, with an 8 MP APS-C sensor runs
    roughly 45ish square microns/pixel.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, May 16, 2006
  12. Ian B Guest

    Thanks for the link, it expained it well. So in fact the Panasonic probably
    wins my vote now, as pointed out it has some extra advantages: hot shoe, and
    I do like the manual zoom ring, have seen a colleagues FZ30.

    Thanks again,

    Ian.

    Ian B, May 17, 2006