Canon S3 IS - Now with Remote Cable Release Via USB Cable!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by KevenGaston, Oct 11, 2007.

  1. KevenGaston

    KevenGaston Guest

    One of the people working on CHDK has managed to port the code from an A710
    build, where someone found a way to apply 3V to the USB's normal 5V cable pins
    to trigger a CHDK script command. Something that they thought nobody would ever
    be able to do since Canon started to cripple all their P&S cameras from having a
    cable-release option. Part of Canon's "let's find ways to force people to buy
    DSLRs" marketing campaign.

    See these pages for photos on how to build a super simple USB remote-cable
    release: http://ewavr.nm.ru/chdk/remote.htm

    It can be fitted into any USB cable plug and attached to the end of any USB
    extension cable when needed. One small switch, one little button battery, it
    doesn't get simpler than that.

    Here's the link for the binaries and source code for the A710 IS version if
    needed http://ewavr.nm.ru/chdk/

    Here's the page for the new S3 IS version!

    http://hem.passagen.se/fsmmal/chdk2.html

    Now you are able to remote trigger your S3 IS camera by any device you can think
    of. Just apply a small 3volt button battery current to the normal 5volt pins on
    the USB cable. The same signal that tells the camera to switch to download mode
    has now been rerouted to a CHDK script command. Use any devices you can think
    of, IR remote controls, RF remote controls, light-triggers, any simple
    electronic switching circuit in existence!

    Just run this simple CHDK script, or insert this simple routine in any of your
    own more elaborate specialized scripts to detect whenever 3volts are applied to
    the USB cable pins. Just plugging your camera into your computer will trigger
    your camera to take a photo, as that applies 5V to the pins, a simple way to
    test if it's working.

    @title Remote button
    :loop
    wait_click 1
    is_key k "remote"
    if k=1 then shoot
    goto "loop"
    end

    S3 IS + CHDK =
    Remote Control (w/o computer tether)
    Motion Detection, fast enough to take lightning photos.
    Extensive Intervalometer Events, with 0.1 second or greater accuracy.
    User Written Scripts, HDR bracketing, automated Focus Bracketing, etc.
    User Written Cropping & Framing Grids
    Hi-compression Video Mode
    (long list of features available at CHDK Wiki pages
    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK )

    Just when you thought it couldn't get better it happens again!

    This is like getting a new camera every week, for FREE! :)

    KevenGaston, Oct 11, 2007

  2. KevenGaston

    John Ortt Guest

    "KevenGaston" <> wrote in message

    > S3 IS + CHDK =
    > Hi-compression Video Mode

    ?! I thought this was one thing it couldn't do....

    Could you post a link to the information please as this is something that
    would be very useful to me. I did look on the scratchpad but I couldn't
    find any info on this subject.

    Thanks in advance,

    John

    John Ortt, Oct 12, 2007

  3. KevenGaston

    KevenGaston Guest

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:02:37 +0100, "John Ortt"
    <> wrote:

    >"KevenGaston" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> S3 IS + CHDK =
    >> Hi-compression Video Mode

    >?! I thought this was one thing it couldn't do....
    >
    >Could you post a link to the information please as this is something that
    >would be very useful to me. I did look on the scratchpad but I couldn't
    >find any info on this subject.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >John

    Toward the bottom of the Misc section in the firmware usage page with a short
    list of some of the sampling rate combos, files sizes, and recording times
    allowed.

    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/HDK_firmware_usage#Misc

    There's quite a bit of artifacts that this hi-compression video mode causes,
    many people wishing there was something halfway between this and the normal
    compression. But the people studying the firmware only found one bit in the code
    that could flag a different compression ratio. This is it. Hi-compression mode
    is still very usable but don't expect the nice clean quality of the original
    video. It's interesting that Canon included it in the original firmware but
    never allowed access to it from their own menu options. Maybe it was just for
    in-house testing purposes, or a hold-over from some other model's code. I
    noticed that the original firmware in all these NO-RAW cameras show
    file-extension support for CRW and CR2 types, but that's not a normal option
    either. Left-over code in the firmware from other camera models. (Those file
    extensions are just being recalled by CHDK from the original firmware. Under
    certain conditions the normal "Erase All" option will also delete CR2 RAW files
    that it finds, files that shouldn't be there, the ones made by CHDK. Otherwise
    my camera doesn't recognize them in any other manner.)

    I just tested the USB remote cable-release version. Works GREAT!!!!!

    There won't be any limit to how far you can run a remote cable either, since
    it's only having to detect a slight voltage change. Even on an extremely long
    run of wire the only thing you'll have to overcome is the resistance of the wire
    in that much distance. Since it triggers on just 3v and the USB port has a
    standard 5v level on it, this means you only need to increase the voltage a bit
    and be able to stay well within specs. Getting remote triggering from hundreds
    of yards away if needed with just a simple twin-lead wire. I daresay that not
    even remote releases on dslrs can do that. I know from experience with another
    camera I have that has a remote release, that switch produces and sends a
    required digital code, most likely limiting how far you can send it by wire.

    Now it's just a matter of what remote-shutter release method is best for the
    situation. Use a laser-pointer from 1/4th mile away to trigger a
    motion-detection script? Or a wire-run with a button battery to trigger picture
    taking. I think all bases are covered, no matter which way you look at it. :)

    This is SO F'N COOL!

    KevenGaston, Oct 12, 2007
  4. KevenGaston

    > On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:02:37 +0100, "John Ortt"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"KevenGaston" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> S3 IS + CHDK =
    >>> Hi-compression Video Mode

    >>?! I thought this was one thing it couldn't do....
    >>
    >>Could you post a link to the information please as this is something that
    >>would be very useful to me. I did look on the scratchpad but I couldn't
    >>find any info on this subject.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >>John
    >>

    > Toward the bottom of the Misc section in the firmware usage page with a
    > short
    > list of some of the sampling rate combos, files sizes, and recording times
    > allowed.
    >
    > http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/HDK_firmware_usage#Misc

    Thanks Keven,

    Much appreciated. I bought my S3 for taking on a year backpacking.
    As I am not sure how often I will be able to download my pics and vids I was
    disapointed at the size of the videos. Hopefully this will allow me to
    still shoot
    video without the bloated file sizes. The pics will always be the most
    important element for me though.

    John Ortt, Oct 12, 2007
  5. KevenGaston

    KevenGaston Guest

    Canon A610/20/30/40, A710, S3 IS + CHDK = Remote Cable Release Via USB Cable

    More cameras that Canon originally crippled by not including a cable-release
    option have been made available to the USB Remote Cable-Release function of
    CHDK.

    To download the files needed see: http://hem.passagen.se/fsmmal/chdk2.html

    (Note that S2 IS camera files are available there but at this time I don't think
    they support the USB cable-release function. The author included them for the
    extended features he created, like the LED and other enhanced uBASIC commands
    for CHDK scripts.)

    To learn how to use these files see: http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    You can now do anything with just your P&S camera that could only be done before
    by tethering your camera to a laptop or desktop computer running remote-capture
    software. Just build a simple button-battery+switch to plug into any USB
    extension cable. CHDK also includes elaborate intervalometer sequences (and
    more) and also includes motion detection triggering for still-frame AND video
    modes--which isn't even an option in Canon's remote-capture software.
    Motion-detection triggering for still-frames is only available in the better
    3rd-party "Cam4You Remote" software.

    CHDK's motion-detection routine is even fast enough for lightning photographs
    using just your unattended camera (see links on main CHDK page about lightning
    photography). The lightning's pre-strike leader triggering the camera's shutter
    in time to capture the main lightning-bolt. No need to buy many-hundred-dollar
    bulky lightning-detection devices that were once only available to D/SLRs. It's
    already built into your compact, portable, and inexpensive P&S camera, with
    CHDK.

    Previous announcement regarding the USB Cable-Release function included below:

    KevenGaston, Oct 13, 2007
  6. KevenGaston

    KevenGaston Guest

    CHDK for Canon Cameras now has its own dedicated Wikia Site

    CHDK has now grown to deserving its own dedicated Wikia. Please refer any
    newcomers to the new homepage:

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

    KevenGaston, Oct 13, 2007
  7. KevenGaston

    ASAAR Guest

    Re: CHDK for Canon Cameras now has its own dedicated Wikia Site

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:53:53 GMT, KevenGaston wrote:

    > CHDK has now grown to deserving its own dedicated Wikia. Please
    > refer any newcomers to the new homepage:

    Due to the bogus email addresses used by the hordes of sock
    puppets (examples: , ,
    , , etc.) one might
    have assumed that you wouldn't attempt to spam this newsgroup with
    notices relating to your software. Might. But we know better,
    Biddy. :)

    ASAAR, Oct 14, 2007
  8. Re: CHDK for Canon Cameras now has its own dedicated Wikia Site

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:18:25 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:53:53 GMT, KevenGaston wrote:
    >
    >> CHDK has now grown to deserving its own dedicated Wikia. Please
    >> refer any newcomers to the new homepage:

    > Due to the bogus email addresses used by the hordes of sock
    >puppets (examples: , ,
    >, , etc.) one might
    >have assumed that you wouldn't attempt to spam this newsgroup with
    >notices relating to your software. Might. But we know better,
    >Biddy. :)

    Usenet Trolls with no lives, no valuable information, nor informative opinions
    about anything often invent a purpose for themselves. Some do it by comparing
    ASCII strings in post headers because that's something they can do. It's a
    challenge for them, one they know they can do. Even though it often taxes the
    very limits of their abilities. Like playing with their favorite "Where's Waldo"
    book which still leaves them befuddled at times. No doubt ripping out and
    throwing away any pages that reveal their limitations to themselves. They can
    tell the difference between an A or an E in post headers as they sing along to
    the tune of "One of these things in not like the other, one of these things just
    doesn't belong," while Sesame Street on PBS is playing in the background.

    Unfortunately, this being the limits of their ability to reason and think leaves
    Usenet trolls like Assaar erroneously ass-uming that everyone online is a
    sock-puppet. Anyone posting from the same news-feed is a potential member of
    that group in their minds. If all of those posters disagree with Assaar's
    blatant stupidity then they must all be the same person posting as sock-puppets.
    He has proof from that. That's all the proof he needs. This is all that he has
    going for him in life so nobody mentions it, out of pity for him. That's as
    creative and intelligent as he'll ever be. If Usenet was the Special Olympics
    Assaar would be sure to be awarded a bright shiny honorable-mention like every
    other participant. Then he could feel good about his asstounding, but wrong,
    accomplishments. A good thing that news readers have a kill-filter in them. He
    can rip out pages/participants from his "Where's Waldo" level of mental activity
    while reading posts. He won't have to be faced with the ego-shattering proof
    that he's wrong, again, and again, and again.

    Trolls like Assaar never once stop to realize that the brighter people on Usenet
    change their names continuously to evade the resident trolls in any newsgroup.
    It's the only way to avoid them. Once you get one stuck to the bottom of your
    shoe just change your name again. Just like changing email addresses to dump the
    useless spam. It's that simple. The only drawback is that this leaves the few,
    much more stupid resident trolls now thinking they are all sock-puppets of each
    other.

    They're not even bright enough to figure that out, even when you tell them. :)

    Garison o`keeF, Oct 14, 2007
  9. KevenGaston

    Guest

    Re: Canon A610/20/30/40, A710, S3 IS + CHDK = Remote Cable Release Via USB Cable

    On Oct 14, 5:13 am, KevenGaston <> wrote:
    > More cameras originally crippled..
    > You can now do anything with just your P&S camera...
    > CHDK's motion-detection routine is even fast enough for lightning photographs...
    > Something that they thought nobody would ever be able to do...
    > Part of Canon's "let's find ways to force people to buy
    > DSLRs" marketing campaign....
    > it doesn't get simpler than that....
    > Here's the page for the new S3 IS version!
    > any simple electronic switching circuit in existence!
    > a simple way to test if it's (sic) working.
    > just when you thought it couldn't get better it happens again!
    >
    > >This is like getting a new camera every week, for FREE! :)

    The superlatives, grammar errors and rantings of a wanker.

    If this thing was promoted by anyone with credibility, I might have
    given it a try.

    I pity whoever wrote CHDK, because this turkey of a thousand
    identities is going to sink it single-handed.
    (well, it's just the one hand in all those socks....)

    , Oct 14, 2007
  10. Re: Canon A610/20/30/40, A710, S3 IS + CHDK = Remote Cable Release Via USB Cable

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 00:16:19 -0700, wrote:

    >On Oct 14, 5:13 am, KevenGaston <> wrote:
    >> More cameras originally crippled..
    >> You can now do anything with just your P&S camera...
    >> CHDK's motion-detection routine is even fast enough for lightning photographs...
    >> Something that they thought nobody would ever be able to do...
    >> Part of Canon's "let's find ways to force people to buy
    >> DSLRs" marketing campaign....
    >> it doesn't get simpler than that....
    >> Here's the page for the new S3 IS version!
    >> any simple electronic switching circuit in existence!
    >> a simple way to test if it's (sic) working.
    >> just when you thought it couldn't get better it happens again!
    >>
    >> >This is like getting a new camera every week, for FREE! :)

    >The superlatives, grammar errors and rantings of a wanker.
    >
    >If this thing was promoted by anyone with credibility, I might have
    >given it a try.
    >
    >I pity whoever wrote CHDK, because this turkey of a thousand
    >identities is going to sink it single-handed.
    >(well, it's just the one hand in all those socks....)

    Ah, the power of the written word. Being able to self-filter out those that
    don't deserve something as nice as CHDK. It's wonderful how much power that
    written words can have over others stupidity! LOL!

    chester_helmsworth, Oct 14, 2007
  11. KevenGaston

    Guest

    Re: Canon A610/20/30/40, A710, S3 IS + CHDK = Remote Cable Release Via USB Cable

    On Oct 14, 7:24 pm, chester_helmsworth <> wrote:
    (nothing of substance)

    Oh, hi, "Chester". New here, are you?

    Do you realise how GUTLESS you look, with all these socks?

    , Oct 14, 2007
  12. Re: Canon A610/20/30/40, A710, S3 IS + CHDK = Remote Cable Release Via USB Cable

    On 14 Oct 2007 03:18:09 -0700, wrote:

    >On Oct 14, 7:24 pm, chester_helmsworth <> wrote:
    >(nothing of substance)
    >
    >Oh, hi, "Chester". New here, are you?
    >
    >Do you realise how GUTLESS you look, with all these socks?

    OH LOOK! A usenet troll that can't get attention any other way! How rare!

    LOL

    trenton banks, Oct 14, 2007
  13. KevenGaston

    Doug Jewell Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 14, 5:13 am, KevenGaston <> wrote:
    >> More cameras originally crippled..
    >> You can now do anything with just your P&S camera...
    >> CHDK's motion-detection routine is even fast enough for lightning
    >> photographs...
    >> Something that they thought nobody would ever be able to do...
    >> Part of Canon's "let's find ways to force people to buy
    >> DSLRs" marketing campaign....
    >> it doesn't get simpler than that....
    >> Here's the page for the new S3 IS version!
    >> any simple electronic switching circuit in existence!
    >> a simple way to test if it's (sic) working.
    >> just when you thought it couldn't get better it happens again!
    >>
    >> >This is like getting a new camera every week, for FREE! :)

    > The superlatives, grammar errors and rantings of a wanker.
    >
    > If this thing was promoted by anyone with credibility, I might have
    > given it a try.
    >
    > I pity whoever wrote CHDK, because this turkey of a thousand
    > identities is going to sink it single-handed.
    > (well, it's just the one hand in all those socks....)

    Funny, I didn't read it like that (well yes some of the statements are a
    wank, but I ignored that to get to the real meat of the matter). I read it
    as someone offering something FREE that will be of benefit to owners of the
    relevant cameras. Admittedly it is off-topic in r.p.d.slr-systems, since the
    cameras in question are all P&S but it is a useful tool none-the-less. I
    didn't know of it's existence prior to this post, and when I investigated, I
    discovered that CHDK would breath new life into my S2IS. Doesn't look like I
    can use the remote release, but I can benefit from RAW (my main gripe with
    the S2IS is it's propensity to clip highlights - yesterday's play revealed
    there is a lot in the RAW that doesn't make it to JPG). I will also benefit
    from things like improvements to timed exposures. I don't use the S2IS much
    anymore - mainly use my DSLR, but the S2IS is handy because of it's small
    size, and it does very good video, so I occasionally take it instead of the
    SLR. Having improved capabilities is a big plus, so I'm saying thankyou to
    the OP, not sledging him.

    Doug Jewell, Oct 14, 2007