    GMAN Guest

    Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a DSLR
    and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    GMAN, Jan 30, 2007

  2. GMAN

    Mark² Guest

    GMAN wrote:
    > Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready
    > for a DSLR and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    Yes no yes no yes no yes no.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 30, 2007

  3. The S3 IS is a good choice for an advanced P&S camera with super-zoom.
    You can shoot with full automation or full manual control, unlike many
    other P&S cameras. With 6MP, true OIS and the higher ISO capability,
    you can get shots most other cameras won't. It's also not too big or
    heavy. While all that's true and good, I can easily outperform it with
    my DSLR, a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-L1. So, it's up to you. If you can
    afford a decent DSLR, don't mind the size and weight, then get one.
    Otherwise, the S3 IS is a very good camera.

    Bye.

    Crunchy Doodle, Jan 30, 2007
  4. GMAN

    dwight Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a
    > DSLR
    > and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    I was you (I think) back in 2004, when I bought the S1. It led directly to
    the Canon Rebel XT not much after that.

    The S1 has a live preview, so you pretty much know what you're going to get.
    The DSLR doesn't. For that reason alone, I'd say go ahead and buy the S3 -
    its manual functions do well to prepare you for the next step, if you're not
    prepared to leapfrog to the DSLR...

    dwight

    dwight, Jan 30, 2007
  5. GMAN

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Crunchy Doodle) wrote in

    > While all that's true and good, I can easily outperform it with
    > my DSLR, a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-L1.

    Of course, the L1 costs about 4 times as much as the S3.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    Bert Hyman, Jan 30, 2007
  6. GMAN

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "dwight" <> wrote:
    >"GMAN" <> wrote in message
    >> Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a
    >> DSLR
    >> and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    >I was you (I think) back in 2004, when I bought the S1. It led directly to
    >the Canon Rebel XT not much after that.
    >
    >The S1 has a live preview, so you pretty much know what you're going to get.
    >The DSLR doesn't. For that reason alone, I'd say go ahead and buy the S3 -
    >its manual functions do well to prepare you for the next step, if you're not
    >prepared to leapfrog to the DSLR...
    >
    >dwight

    Thanks Guys!!! A DSLR is still too bulky and more than i need right now. The
    S3 IS feels good and solid, and I do not want a pocket sized either, too
    limited IMHO.

    GMAN, Jan 30, 2007
  7. Just a side note on the Panasonic DMC-L1 . . . It has live preview, as
    does some of its cousins made by Olympus. My now ancient Olympus E-10
    DSLR also had it.

    Bye.

    [.......]

    Crunchy Doodle, Jan 30, 2007
  8. GMAN

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:17:46 +0000, GMAN wrote:

    > Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a DSLR
    > and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    I suppose it's all right. IMHO - I like the Kodak P series better for one
    reason - the Kodak EVF is higher resolution. I look through the viewfinder
    on the Canon, I see it is very pixelated - bothers me to no end; evidently
    bothers other folks much less. The Kodak P850 I recently bought (refurb
    from the Kodak online store) has a 237k pixel EVF and looks MUCH cleaner.
    The Kodak P series also feature IS and save as raw, tif, jpg. BTW - got
    the camera and a printer dock (totally optional accessory, but kind of
    cool) for $300.

    ray, Jan 30, 2007
  9. GMAN

    dwight Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "dwight"
    > <> wrote:
    >>"GMAN" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a
    >>> DSLR
    >>> and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    >>I was you (I think) back in 2004, when I bought the S1. It led directly to
    >>the Canon Rebel XT not much after that.
    >>
    >>The S1 has a live preview, so you pretty much know what you're going to
    >>get.
    >>The DSLR doesn't. For that reason alone, I'd say go ahead and buy the S3 -
    >>its manual functions do well to prepare you for the next step, if you're
    >>not
    >>prepared to leapfrog to the DSLR...
    >>
    >>dwight
    >>

    > Thanks Guys!!! A DSLR is still too bulky and more than i need right now.
    > The
    > S3 IS feels good and solid, and I do not want a pocket sized either, too
    > limited IMHO.

    http://tfrog93.googlepages.com/sample2 (Don't forget the optional lens
    hood.)

    dwight

    dwight, Jan 31, 2007
  10. In article <epnujt$dcs$>, GMAN
    <> wrote:

    > Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a DSLR
    > and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    My girlfriend has an S2 IS and I've been quite impressed with it. The
    IS is great and the movies are pretty impressive. I can do without
    EVFs, but that's just me.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jan 31, 2007
  11. GMAN

    Pete Guest

    GMAN wrote:
    > Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a DSLR
    > and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    i have used a variety of previous canon powershot's, and been very happy
    with the results from these nice and small cameras. i purchased an S3IS
    as it seemed to have a good selection of useful features, and
    considering the length of the lens it is a very manageable size and
    weight. while it's true that the EVF isn't perfect, it is certainly
    isn't going to cause too many problems.

    overall, the various reviews of the camera that you'll easily find on
    the web are accurate...they'll point out all of the good points of the
    camera (and there are a lot) and the minor faults it has. in addition to
    those comments, i'll just add my main gripe with this camera...the whole
    purpose of the camera is to take quality pictures, and frankly, this is
    where i was a little disappointed.

    in general, the colours seem a bit bland. i'm not just comparing the
    results to the typically overprocessed results from a P&S...in my
    opinion, they look too un-naturally colourless and with too much
    contrast. even for very vivid scenes, the results i get just seem a bit
    lifeless. trying to "pretty them up" with a little bit of tweaking in
    photoshop doesn't completely help either...it's almost as if there's not
    enough dynamic range.

    a secondary comment (and i guess that this is likely to appear in any of
    the cameras with a large zoom) is that the focus towards the corners is
    not particularly sharp.

    i certainly don't want to sound like i'm not happy with the camera. but
    you asked for feedback on the camera, and that's the main comments that
    i would have.
    all things considered, it is a good compromise between size & weight and
    features & specifications. the fact is, no camera is perfect and given
    my time again i would probably buy the camera again, but it's not quite
    as good as i was expecting.

    Pete, Jan 31, 2007
  12. >> Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet
    >> ready for a DSLR and yet more advanced than the average joe
    >> 6pack user?

    > My girlfriend has an S2 IS and I've been quite impressed with
    > it. The IS is great and the movies are pretty impressive. I
    > can do without EVFs, but that's just me.

    I think if Canon came out with an S4, which was almost exactly
    the same as the S3 but with 8 or maybe 10 megapixels, they'd own
    the market for that type of product.

    I don't like EVF's either, but I guess I'm going to have to learn
    to live with it, since I don't think any of these superzooms com
    with optical viewfinders.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 31, 2007
  13. GMAN

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:11:53 -0800, Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    >> Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone
    >> not yet ready for a DSLR and yet more advanced than
    >> the average joe 6pack user?

    > My girlfriend has an S2 IS and I've been quite impressed with it.
    > The IS is great and the movies are pretty impressive. I can do
    > without EVFs, but that's just me.

    Actually, no. Many others here also can do without EVFs. I, on
    the other hand prefer a good EVF, but that's just, uh . . . me and
    a good number of others. <g>

    ASAAR, Jan 31, 2007
  14. GMAN

    GMAN Guest

    In article <nzUvh.514$>, Pete <> wrote:
    >GMAN wrote:
    >> Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a DSLR

    >> and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    >i have used a variety of previous canon powershot's, and been very happy
    >with the results from these nice and small cameras. i purchased an S3IS
    >as it seemed to have a good selection of useful features, and
    >considering the length of the lens it is a very manageable size and
    >weight. while it's true that the EVF isn't perfect, it is certainly
    >isn't going to cause too many problems.
    >
    >overall, the various reviews of the camera that you'll easily find on
    >the web are accurate...they'll point out all of the good points of the
    >camera (and there are a lot) and the minor faults it has. in addition to
    >those comments, i'll just add my main gripe with this camera...the whole
    >purpose of the camera is to take quality pictures, and frankly, this is
    >where i was a little disappointed.
    >
    >in general, the colours seem a bit bland. i'm not just comparing the
    >results to the typically overprocessed results from a P&S...in my
    >opinion, they look too un-naturally colourless and with too much
    >contrast. even for very vivid scenes, the results i get just seem a bit
    >lifeless. trying to "pretty them up" with a little bit of tweaking in
    >photoshop doesn't completely help either...it's almost as if there's not
    >enough dynamic range.
    >
    >a secondary comment (and i guess that this is likely to appear in any of
    >the cameras with a large zoom) is that the focus towards the corners is
    >not particularly sharp.
    >
    >i certainly don't want to sound like i'm not happy with the camera. but
    >you asked for feedback on the camera, and that's the main comments that
    >i would have.
    >all things considered, it is a good compromise between size & weight and
    >features & specifications. the fact is, no camera is perfect and given
    >my time again i would probably buy the camera again, but it's not quite
    >as good as i was expecting.

    Thanks, Its still got to be a decent stepup from my now broken Olympus C2000
    2 megapixel camera.

    GMAN, Jan 31, 2007
  15. GMAN

    Mark B. Guest

    "dwight" <> wrote in message
    > "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    >> Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a
    >> DSLR
    >> and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    > I was you (I think) back in 2004, when I bought the S1. It led directly to
    > the Canon Rebel XT not much after that.
    >
    > The S1 has a live preview, so you pretty much know what you're going to
    > get. The DSLR doesn't. For that reason alone, I'd say go ahead and buy the
    > S3 - its manual functions do well to prepare you for the next step, if
    > you're not prepared to leapfrog to the DSLR...
    >
    > dwight

    Live preview is absolutely *not* a good reason to get a point & shoot over a
    DSLR. The S3 is a good full-featured p&s, but the LCD is difficult to see
    in broad daylight, and the electronic viewfinder sucks. Give me the OVF on
    a DSLR any day.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 31, 2007
  16. GMAN

    Mark B. Guest

    "Paul D. Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet
    >>> ready for a DSLR and yet more advanced than the average joe
    >>> 6pack user?

    >> My girlfriend has an S2 IS and I've been quite impressed with
    >> it. The IS is great and the movies are pretty impressive. I
    >> can do without EVFs, but that's just me.

    > I think if Canon came out with an S4, which was almost exactly the same as
    > the S3 but with 8 or maybe 10 megapixels, they'd own the market for that
    > type of product.
    >
    > I don't like EVF's either, but I guess I'm going to have to learn to live
    > with it, since I don't think any of these superzooms com with optical
    > viewfinders.

    Even if they did, you'd still have to contend with parallex error and poor
    optical quality. The EVF has lots of room for improvement on the S3
    successor.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 31, 2007
  17. GMAN

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Mark B." <> wrote:
    >"dwight" <> wrote in message
    >> "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a
    >>> DSLR
    >>> and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    >> I was you (I think) back in 2004, when I bought the S1. It led directly to
    >> the Canon Rebel XT not much after that.
    >>
    >> The S1 has a live preview, so you pretty much know what you're going to
    >> get. The DSLR doesn't. For that reason alone, I'd say go ahead and buy the
    >> S3 - its manual functions do well to prepare you for the next step, if
    >> you're not prepared to leapfrog to the DSLR...
    >>
    >> dwight

    >Live preview is absolutely *not* a good reason to get a point & shoot over a
    >DSLR. The S3 is a good full-featured p&s, but the LCD is difficult to see
    >in broad daylight, and the electronic viewfinder sucks. Give me the OVF on
    >a DSLR any day.
    >
    >Mark

    Didn't canon opt for a EVF for the very reason that at such high zoom, you
    need to see what you are zoomed in on?

    Or am i incorrect?

    GMAN, Jan 31, 2007
  18. GMAN

    sally Guest

    (GMAN) wrote in
    > Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a
    > DSLR and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    The most important feature of the Canon S3 is the 12X zoom. If you don't
    need that much zoom (mostly useful for outdoor photos), then something like
    the Canon G7 would be a better choice for you. The G7 has more all-around
    features, though with a much smaller zoom range.

    sally, Jan 31, 2007
  19. GMAN

    John Turco Guest

    ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:17:46 +0000, GMAN wrote:
    >
    > > Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a DSLR
    > > and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

    > I suppose it's all right. IMHO - I like the Kodak P series better for one
    > reason - the Kodak EVF is higher resolution. I look through the viewfinder
    > on the Canon, I see it is very pixelated - bothers me to no end; evidently
    > bothers other folks much less. The Kodak P850 I recently bought (refurb
    > from the Kodak online store) has a 237k pixel EVF and looks MUCH cleaner.
    > The Kodak P series also feature IS and save as raw, tif, jpg. BTW - got
    > the camera and a printer dock (totally optional accessory, but kind of
    > cool) for $300.

    Hello, Ray:

    Note, however, that the P880 (the vanguard of Kodak's "P" digicams)
    lacks image stabilization! It's the only one, which does -- but, then,
    the others are "super zoom" models (12x optical), whereas the P880 is
    limited to 5.8x.

    Of course, IS is most useful at the more extreme telephoto lengths, and
    the P880's lens merely goes to 144mm (35mm equivalent). That's opposed
    to the P850, for instance, which extends all the way to 432mm.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    PS: I just learned the P850 was recently discontinued by Kodak
    <http://www.kodak.com>, Ray. How sad, as we both own (and love)
    this beautiful, competent, featured-packed and modestly-priced,
    precision photographic instrument.

    Kodak - EASYSHARE P850 Zoom Digital Camera
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=7391

    John Turco, Feb 2, 2007
  20. GMAN

    John Turco Guest

    GMAN wrote:

    > In article <>, "Mark B." <> wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > >Live preview is absolutely *not* a good reason to get a point & shoot over a
    > >DSLR. The S3 is a good full-featured p&s, but the LCD is difficult to see
    > >in broad daylight, and the electronic viewfinder sucks. Give me the OVF on
    > >a DSLR any day.
    > >
    > >Mark
    > >

    > Didn't canon opt for a EVF for the very reason that at such high zoom, you
    > need to see what you are zoomed in on?
    >
    > Or am i incorrect?

    Hello, GMAN:

    No, you're quite right. Canon isn't alone in that reasoning, either,
    as all manufacturers of "ultra zoom" digicams have taken the same EVF
    route.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Feb 2, 2007