    Is it normal for the camara to display a low battery warning literally 1/2 a
    second before it closes down?

    John

    John, Aug 17, 2006

  2. John

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:33:02 GMT, John wrote:

    > Is it normal for the camara to display a low battery warning literally 1/2 a
    > second before it closes down?

    It doesn't have to be, but some poorly designed cameras will
    exhibit this behavior. It may also be an indication all 4 AA
    batteries are no longer evenly matched, and one or two may have lost
    part of their original capacity. Alkaline batteries won't provide
    as many shots, but if you use them you'll probably get a low battery
    warning well before the batteries need to be replaced. My Fuji S5100
    also uses 4 AA batteries, and it has two battery warning levels.
    From what I recall, the warnings started several dozen shots before
    the batteries needed to be replaced.

    In general, it's not a good idea to wait for battery warnings
    before replacing the batteries. If you know based on experience
    that your batteries should be good for 500 shots per charge, it's
    probably best to replace them with a fresh set at the first
    opportunity after you've reached about 350 shots. This should be
    easy to do if you use the camera consistently. That is, if you
    always or rarely use the flash. But since your camera can probably
    take at least 500% more shots if you never use the flash than if all
    of your shots use it, any time your shots require a mix of flash and
    non flash shots it will be much more difficult to be able to make a
    good guess at when it would be a good time to swap batteries. If
    you have a charger with you, and especially if it's a fast one (some
    can completely charge the batteries in less than 15 minutes) you can
    be much more conservative and swap batteries much earlier than
    usual.

    ASAAR, Aug 17, 2006

  3. John

    John Guest

    cheers - the s3 is new... as are rechargable 2600mAh Hi-MH batteries - but I
    have not idea how many pics i can take with them! There is no way of knowing
    as, like i say the only time i've seen a battery symbol on the cam is just
    as it switches off!

    John, Aug 17, 2006
  4. John

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:30:12 GMT, John wrote:

    > cheers - the s3 is new... as are rechargable 2600mAh Hi-MH batteries - but I
    > have not idea how many pics i can take with them! There is no way of knowing
    > as, like i say the only time i've seen a battery symbol on the cam is just
    > as it switches off!

    It's easy. When the camera switches off, write down the number of
    the last picture that was taken. Do that each time the batteries
    run down and you'll soon know how many shots that camera is good for
    per charge. Also, if you can remember when the batteries were
    previously changed, examine the dates of the pictures saved on your
    computer. If you haven't renamed the pictures, you'll have another
    way to count the pictures taken per charge. :)

    ASAAR, Aug 17, 2006
  5. John

    art Guest

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:33:02 GMT, "John" <> wrote:

    >Is it normal for the camara to display a low battery warning literally 1/2 a
    >second before it closes down?
    >
    >John

    Not uncommon for Canon. I had a s230. When low battery warning came
    on it would not take any more pictures. Once I tried it messed up the
    CF memory.

    art, Aug 17, 2006
  6. John

    Dave Quail Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:30:12 GMT, John wrote:
    >
    >> cheers - the s3 is new... as are rechargable 2600mAh Hi-MH batteries -
    >> but I
    >> have not idea how many pics i can take with them! There is no way of
    >> knowing
    >> as, like i say the only time i've seen a battery symbol on the cam is
    >> just
    >> as it switches off!

    > It's easy. When the camera switches off, write down the number of
    > the last picture that was taken. Do that each time the batteries
    > run down and you'll soon know how many shots that camera is good for
    > per charge. Also, if you can remember when the batteries were
    > previously changed, examine the dates of the pictures saved on your
    > computer. If you haven't renamed the pictures, you'll have another
    > way to count the pictures taken per charge. :)

    I am getting on average around 650-700 pics on large superfine with about
    15% flash usage. Check the 5th post down in this thread for explanation of
    why there is so little warning:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&message=18343066&q=battery warning&qf=m

    Dave

    Dave Quail, Aug 17, 2006
  7. John

    Alan Meyer Guest

    John wrote:
    > Is it normal for the camara to display a low battery warning literally 1/2 a
    > second before it closes down?
    >
    > John

    When you start it up again, does it still have a low battery
    warning? Or is the warning only during shutdown?

    If the latter, and if the battery life seems normal, I'd ignore it.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Aug 17, 2006
  8. John

    Guest

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:33:02 GMT, "John" <> wrote:

    > Is it normal for the camara to display a low battery warning literally 1/2 a
    > second before it closes down?

    It is with NiMH batteries.

    , Aug 17, 2006
  9. John

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:01:43 +0200, Dave Quail wrote:

    > I am getting on average around 650-700 pics on large superfine with about
    > 15% flash usage. Check the 5th post down in this thread for explanation of
    > why there is so little warning:

    I checked, and it's similar to what one other ng poster frequently
    says here, but that ng poster is mistaken and the reason given by
    geepondy (in the dpreview forum) is closer to the truth. NiMH
    batteries do have a much flatter voltage discharge curve than
    alkalines, but it's not difficult to design a fairly accurate
    "meter" in devices using them. I have several radios that use 4 AA
    batteries, and their battery meters (something like 14 segment bars)
    are virtually useless for alkaline batteries, but are remarkably
    accurate for displaying the battery voltage, and by extension, the
    remaining operating time. Freshly charged NiMH batteries light up
    most of the bar's segments (about 12), and the "meter" shrinks by
    one segment for about every 2 hours of use. When the last segment
    vanishes, the radio is within minutes of powering off. Cameras
    present more challenges since their current draw is less uniform
    than that of most radios, at least the way they're frequently used,
    but none of them are so difficult that they couldn't be easily
    overcome. After all, the camera doesn't have for its "meter" a
    simple "dumb" electrical circuit, but has the use of one or more
    computer chips that can assess battery usage. Unlike a "dumb"
    meter, the camera's computer chip knows when motors are activated
    (zooming, focusing, etc.), when the sensor is consuming more or less
    energy and when the flash is used, and it can be programmed to know
    what effect that these operations have on the batteries. Great
    accuracy isn't needed. Most people don't expect the meter to say
    "The battery has 24 minutes left" or "WARNING: The battery has less
    than 2 minutes left". They'd probably be satisfied with a more
    subtle blinking battery icon that starts flashing approximately 10
    or 20 minutes before the battery finally conks out. And that should
    be quite easy to do, but to invert a popular saying and apply it to
    camera meters, where there's no will, there's no way! :)

    ASAAR, Aug 17, 2006