    use AA batteries. Is this really a benefit if you carry extra
    batteries that the S230 would need? Thanks in advance for the input.
    , Sep 20, 2003

  2. Zol. Guest

    Battery life on the A70 using Alkaline batteries isn`t brilliant - but if
    you get NimH rechargeable batteries (2000mAh +) then you will get about
    220-250 shots with the LCD on and maybe a lot more without - the A70 flash
    is very good indoors and the night scene works well (as long as you have a
    very steady camera - a tripod required) and it has fast & slow shutter
    speeds and enough control to keep you happy. you can check out both the
    canons at the BeBit page which has their estimated battery lives(in
    esitmated shots) as well @ http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/BeBit-e.html ...
    regards ... Zol.

    Zol., Sep 20, 2003

  3. Sexy Susan Guest

    All of these cameras suck my fucking twat. Get a G3.

    Sexy Susan, Sep 21, 2003
  4. DH Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I am going to finally get a digital camera. I like the small size of
    > the S230 as I want to carry it in a belt pack. It looks like I could
    > get a pack for the other two models as well. So, I would like opinions
    > on the cameras. It would be used for outdoor travel photos, indoor and
    > outdoor family photos and maybe some close ups. The A70 and 3100 both
    > use AA batteries. Is this really a benefit if you carry extra
    > batteries that the S230 would need? Thanks in advance for the input.

    The S230 is a very nice camera. I had a S200 which i loved, just bought
    an S400 which takes incredible photos. For me, the smaller footprint of
    the Canon S Series makes it more likely that I'll have the camera with
    me for those "kodak moments."

    Anyone know if the S230 has a larger CCD than the A70? (I believe it
    does).
    DH, Sep 21, 2003
  5. Zol. Guest

    "DH" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I am going to finally get a digital camera. I like the small size of
    > > the S230 as I want to carry it in a belt pack. It looks like I could
    > > get a pack for the other two models as well. So, I would like opinions
    > > on the cameras. It would be used for outdoor travel photos, indoor and
    > > outdoor family photos and maybe some close ups. The A70 and 3100 both
    > > use AA batteries. Is this really a benefit if you carry extra
    > > batteries that the S230 would need? Thanks in advance for the input.

    > The S230 is a very nice camera. I had a S200 which i loved, just bought
    > an S400 which takes incredible photos. For me, the smaller footprint of
    > the Canon S Series makes it more likely that I'll have the camera with
    > me for those "kodak moments."
    >
    > Anyone know if the S230 has a larger CCD than the A70? (I believe it
    > does).

    Both the A70 & S230 have the same size sensor according to the BeBit site -
    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/PSS230/index-e.html - S230 Info
    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/PSA70/index-e.html - A70 Info
    regards ... Zol.
    Zol., Sep 21, 2003
  6. I haven't seen the Coolpix 3100 mentioned at all except in the subject line.
    Just as well. I am a "Nikonian" for real, just the same I'd go for the Canon
    A70 over the Nikon Coolpix 3100. It has more manual-override options than
    the Coolpix does. My dream digital is a Nikon Coolpix 5700, and I like the
    5400 (5000 also) quite a bit. But in the sub $500 category, I'd take the
    Canon A70 over any Nikon Coolpix.

    If you can afford it, try an Olympus C-4000. It's like $400 or so, which is
    like $100 more than the Canon A70. But it's a 4 megapixel and is really of
    another class in my opinion; I'd put it in the same neighborhood as the
    G3-type cameras.
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 22, 2003
  7. J Guest

    I'll recommend the S230, I have it and love it. It's a great camera,
    portraits, landscapes and even night time photos are amassing. It's also
    very portable.
    I got a LCD protector for mine and what ever event I go to, I'll have my
    S230 in my pocket.
    some cons about it: A little yellow cast on some portraits....and some
    landscapes need a little unsharp masking but it's nothing to cry foul about.
    pros: It's very small, feels sturdy, metallic body is perfect, battery life
    lasted me a full day of pictures (about 80-100 pics with lots of reviewing,
    deleting), night time pictures are amassing (long shutter up to 15s), movie
    mode is very good as well, AF assist light is helpful at parties or get
    together @ night (very helpful), did I mention you can take it with you
    everywhere?.

    If you're stuck, get the S230. (and I've been told
    http://www.terascout.com/ and http://www.sterlingtek.com/ sell batteries
    for a very low price, I don't know if their any good though so don't hold me
    on it.)

    J, Sep 22, 2003
  8. DH Guest

    In article <xUtbb.12089$>,
    "J" <> wrote:

    > I'll recommend the S230, I have it and love it. It's a great camera,
    > portraits, landscapes and even night time photos are amassing. It's also
    > very portable.
    > I got a LCD protector for mine and what ever event I go to, I'll have my
    > S230 in my pocket.
    > some cons about it: A little yellow cast on some portraits....and some
    > landscapes need a little unsharp masking but it's nothing to cry foul about.
    > pros: It's very small, feels sturdy, metallic body is perfect, battery life
    > lasted me a full day of pictures (about 80-100 pics with lots of reviewing,
    > deleting), night time pictures are amassing (long shutter up to 15s), movie
    > mode is very good as well, AF assist light is helpful at parties or get
    > together @ night (very helpful), did I mention you can take it with you
    > everywhere?.
    >
    > If you're stuck, get the S230. (and I've been told
    > http://www.terascout.com/ and http://www.sterlingtek.com/ sell batteries
    > for a very low price, I don't know if their any good though so don't hold me
    > on it.)
    >
    > "DH" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am going to finally get a digital camera. I like the small size of
    > > > the S230 as I want to carry it in a belt pack. It looks like I could
    > > > get a pack for the other two models as well. So, I would like opinions
    > > > on the cameras. It would be used for outdoor travel photos, indoor and
    > > > outdoor family photos and maybe some close ups. The A70 and 3100 both
    > > > use AA batteries. Is this really a benefit if you carry extra
    > > > batteries that the S230 would need? Thanks in advance for the input.

    > > The S230 is a very nice camera. I had a S200 which i loved, just bought
    > > an S400 which takes incredible photos. For me, the smaller footprint of
    > > the Canon S Series makes it more likely that I'll have the camera with
    > > me for those "kodak moments."
    > >
    > > Anyone know if the S230 has a larger CCD than the A70? (I believe it
    > > does).

    Batteries for the S230 can be had on ebay for as little as $10. I also
    looked at the A70, I was disturbed by the number of failure complaints
    on this camera.
    DH, Sep 22, 2003
  9. Newdiver2 Guest

    I've bought both the S230 (for myself) and the A70 (for my son). I wanted the
    smaller size so that I can carry it in my pants pocket. My son, on the other
    hand likes the A70 which although bigger, has a 3X digital zoom rather than the
    2X of the S230. He's more than willing to trade the slightly larger camera size
    for the greater zoom.

    Both take awesome pictures.
    Newdiver2, Sep 24, 2003
  10. fotolover Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:56:13 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
    <> wrote:

    >I haven't seen the Coolpix 3100 mentioned at all except in the subject line.
    >Just as well. I am a "Nikonian" for real, just the same I'd go for the Canon
    >A70 over the Nikon Coolpix 3100. It has more manual-override options than
    >the Coolpix does. My dream digital is a Nikon Coolpix 5700, and I like the
    >5400 (5000 also) quite a bit. But in the sub $500 category, I'd take the
    >Canon A70 over any Nikon Coolpix.

    I own a D100 but wanted a small camera for carrying around all the
    time. I bought a Coolpix 3100 and love it. However, I also gave an
    Canon A70 to my youngest daughter. Both are excellent 3MP cameras. I
    did a test with 2 good NiMH batteries in my 3100. I quit at 350 shots,
    of which 135 were flash shots. My arm and finger got tired and the CF
    card filled up.

    The 3100 is physically smaller and that entered into my decision. The
    manual functions on the A70 seemed attractive but you could only go to
    f/8 which seemed a waste of time to me. The 3100 has a Scene function
    which is real cool - landscapes, flowers, sports, fireworks, museums,
    party, etc. I really like that. I get my D100 back on Monday from
    Nikon Service. It's going to be interesting how much I use the 3100
    (called Mini Me!) versus the D100.

    My daughter really likes her A70 and my wife loves her Canon S40. I
    think you can't go wrong with either the 3100 or A70.

    I'm testing a program called Focus Magic which seems to do a terrific
    job in upsizing JPEGs. I haven't finished the test yet, but it is
    looking real good. However, I have yet to print anything larger than
    10x7.5. It looked great there by the way. I upsized a flower type shot
    from 3MP to 12MP. On my screen it looks great but a large print will
    tell the tale.

    Don
    fotolover, Sep 28, 2003
  11. andrew Guest

    with the exception of the AA batteries, the Nikon 3100 beats the hell out of
    those Canon models. more compact than the a70... more zoom than the S230...
    easy to use.. wide variety of scene modes, plus scene-assist modes. now
    that they are retailing the 3100 as cheap as the A70, why would anyone pick
    the A70? (..and those who cite the lense adapters or manual reasons on the
    A70 should be buying a higher end camera)

    -andrew

    andrew, Oct 15, 2003