    get a dSLR but in the meantime I'll try to get as much out of the
    Canon as I can.

    John H
    John H, Dec 28, 2005

  2. John H

    Waterspider Guest

    "John H" <> wrote ...
    > Here is a picture of my grandson shot by window light:
    > http://members.accesswave.ca/~parklane/sam.htm
    > And one from the yard just about sunup. This is a blend. One
    > exposure was spot metered into the sun; the second into the sky to the
    > left until it looked about right. It would be a lot easier to blend
    > these if they had been taken using a tripod, however I had to run out
    > in just a housecoat with the breeze blowing up to catch the light as
    > it changes very rapidly. Next time I'll be prepared with the tripod
    > and bracket using the self timer. If the shots had lined up I would
    > have been able to graduate the erasure away from the sun and gotten a
    > lighter blue sky with less noise.
    > http://members.accesswave.ca/~parklane/morning.htm
    > Don't know what fellows think of the S2. Maybe next time I'll
    > get a dSLR but in the meantime I'll try to get as much out of the
    > Canon as I can.

    Hi John,
    Gorgeous photos!
    I've been trying to make up my mind between a G6 and S2 (I have a G3), and
    it was good to read your post.
    IMHO, having spent a fair bit of time playing with the Rebel DSLR, the
    Powershots are so versatile because of their size, swivelout viewfinder and
    real-life preview, that the extra resolution and speed of the DSLR is a moot
    point. It would be a great studio camera though.
    In a perfect world, I'd have one of each!

    Waterspider
    Waterspider, Dec 28, 2005

  3. John H

    John H Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:50:52 -0800, "Waterspider"
    <> wrote:

    >"John H" <> wrote ...
    >> Here is a picture of my grandson shot by window light:
    >> http://members.accesswave.ca/~parklane/sam.htm
    >> And one from the yard just about sunup. This is a blend. One
    >> exposure was spot metered into the sun; the second into the sky to the
    >> left until it looked about right. It would be a lot easier to blend
    >> these if they had been taken using a tripod, however I had to run out
    >> in just a housecoat with the breeze blowing up to catch the light as
    >> it changes very rapidly. Next time I'll be prepared with the tripod
    >> and bracket using the self timer. If the shots had lined up I would
    >> have been able to graduate the erasure away from the sun and gotten a
    >> lighter blue sky with less noise.
    >> http://members.accesswave.ca/~parklane/morning.htm
    >> Don't know what fellows think of the S2. Maybe next time I'll
    >> get a dSLR but in the meantime I'll try to get as much out of the
    >> Canon as I can.

    >Hi John,
    >Gorgeous photos!
    >I've been trying to make up my mind between a G6 and S2 (I have a G3), and
    >it was good to read your post.
    >IMHO, having spent a fair bit of time playing with the Rebel DSLR, the
    >Powershots are so versatile because of their size, swivelout viewfinder and
    >real-life preview, that the extra resolution and speed of the DSLR is a moot
    >point. It would be a great studio camera though.
    >In a perfect world, I'd have one of each!
    >
    >Waterspider

    If it is any help I have had the S2 for a couple of months now
    and it works pretty much as the reviews say. It was good to have no
    surprises like my nephew did with his Sony H1. While I would like the
    quality of images from a SLR the compact S2 goes most everywhere while
    the bigger camera probably wouldn't. Like most any choice it is
    fraught with compromise. As you say one of each would be the way to
    have it.

    On another note, kids are awfully hard to capture. They are
    never still. The S2 serves well in this regard. I put it on
    continuous high speed shooting mode at largest size and best quality
    and it will go on until the card is full seemingly at the advertised
    2.4 fps. This is with a card that writes at 9mbs. The movie mode
    works great and that was part of the decision to buy the canon.

    John H
    John H, Dec 30, 2005