  1. Norm

    Norm Guest

    Any comments re: the above would be appreciated.
    Norm, Nov 13, 2005

  2. On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:53:19 GMT, Norm <> wrote:
    > Any comments re: the above would be appreciated.

    Both are good cameras at the top of their class (5 MP superzooms).

    Pluses for the FZ5: smaller, lighter
    slightly better image quality (arguably)
    faster autofoucs, burst mode
    Li-ion battery

    Pluses for S2IS: Tilt/swivel LCD
    Higher-resolution movie mode
    AA batteries

    Prices are about the same, so figure out which set of assets matters
    more to you. I bought an FZ5; movie mode was not something I care
    about, and the lighter weight was a definite plus.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 13, 2005

  3. Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:53:19 GMT, Norm <> wrote:
    >> Any comments re: the above would be appreciated.

    > Both are good cameras at the top of their class (5 MP superzooms).
    >
    > Pluses for the FZ5: smaller, lighter
    > slightly better image quality (arguably)
    > faster autofoucs, burst mode
    > Li-ion battery
    >
    > Pluses for S2IS: Tilt/swivel LCD
    > Higher-resolution movie mode
    > AA batteries
    >
    > Prices are about the same, so figure out which set of assets matters
    > more to you. I bought an FZ5; movie mode was not something I care
    > about, and the lighter weight was a definite plus.
    >
    > -dms

    I pretty much second dms's comments. I also have the FZ5, and my wife has
    the FZ20. Very pleased with the results. I have a slight feeling that
    the Canon has more gimmicks (you can stick a stamp on the front lens
    element and still focus on it - er, right!), and I don't think you can get
    it in black.

    You would be pleased with either. The Panasonic takes SD memory, as does
    the Canon.

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Norm

    Bruce Graham Guest

    In article <CBDdf.6838$>, david-
    -this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:53:19 GMT, Norm <> wrote:
    > >> Any comments re: the above would be appreciated.

    > > Both are good cameras at the top of their class (5 MP superzooms).
    > >
    > > Pluses for the FZ5: smaller, lighter
    > > slightly better image quality (arguably)
    > > faster autofoucs, burst mode
    > > Li-ion battery
    > >
    > > Pluses for S2IS: Tilt/swivel LCD
    > > Higher-resolution movie mode
    > > AA batteries
    > >
    > > Prices are about the same, so figure out which set of assets matters
    > > more to you. I bought an FZ5; movie mode was not something I care
    > > about, and the lighter weight was a definite plus.
    > >
    > > -dms

    > I pretty much second dms's comments. I also have the FZ5, and my wife has
    > the FZ20. Very pleased with the results. I have a slight feeling that
    > the Canon has more gimmicks (you can stick a stamp on the front lens
    > element and still focus on it - er, right!), and I don't think you can get
    > it in black.
    >
    > You would be pleased with either. The Panasonic takes SD memory, as does
    > the Canon.
    >
    > David

    my daughter has an FZ20 and it is a fine camera. However if you are
    planning on purchasing (or already have) a Canon DSLR, I think it is
    useful to keep everything "in the family" as there is a fair consistency
    in the menus across the Canon range. Not a biggy, but unless you use the
    cameras all the time, or are just smarter than me, you don't need more
    menu structures.
    Bruce Graham, Nov 13, 2005
  5. On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:53:19 GMT, "Norm" <> wrote:

    >Any comments re: the above would be appreciated.

    I just started using my Canon S2 IS.

    My previous was/is Canon A95.

    The camera is terrific.

    Video is a great.

    There are a LOT of options.

    If you are planning on upgrading to the Canon 5D some day (as I am)
    the Canon menu system is easy to transition from one camera to the
    next.

    I don't think you can go wrong with either.

    --

    Scott in Florida
    Scott in Florida, Nov 13, 2005
  6. On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:53:19 GMT, "Norm" <> wrote:

    >Any comments re: the above would be appreciated.

    I've had the Canon S2 IS since July. Very pleased with it. The Image
    Stabilization works very well for long distance shots at high zoom. Color
    rendition is excellent. Image quality is excellent. Automatic modes usually
    get the picture; but I often use manual modes for specific effects.

    Be sure to get a high speed SD card for use with this camera. 40X or above.

    This is my third digital camera, and the first to fully satisfy my needs.

    --John
    JohnInSD At san DOT rr dot COM, Nov 13, 2005
  7. Hi,

    I own both of them. I thought I would get rid of one, giving my least
    favourite to my mom, but I could not make up my mind yet.

    Daniel's comments are correct. I would add to his list:

    Pluses for the FZ5:
    - much better LCD, especially in bright light

    Plus for the S2IS:
    - stitch assist mode (helps doing panoramas)
    - lens extenders available (wide angle + zoom extender)

    Minus for S2IS:
    - stupid lens cap, keeps falling

    --
    Philippe Noth, Clarens/Montreux, Switzerland
    Philippe Noth, Nov 19, 2005
  8. On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:24:47 +0100, Philippe Noth <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I own both of them. I thought I would get rid of one, giving my least
    > favourite to my mom, but I could not make up my mind yet.
    >
    > Daniel's comments are correct. I would add to his list:
    >
    > Pluses for the FZ5:
    > - much better LCD, especially in bright light
    >
    > Plus for the S2IS:
    > - stitch assist mode (helps doing panoramas)
    > - lens extenders available (wide angle + zoom extender)

    You can get extenders for the FZ5; it's just that Panasonic doesn't
    offer them. Any front extender with a 55mm thread will work (the
    mounting adapter for the lens hood has a 55mm thread). I don't
    have one, but I've heard good things about the Olympus TCON-17, a 1.7x
    teleconverter. Olympus also sells a 0.7x wide converter, the WCON-0.7x.

    Of course, the camera doesn't have any way of knowing that a converter
    is attached, so the focal length info stored in the EXIF fields will be
    wrong, but other than that, the converters work without a problem.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 19, 2005
  9. Norm

    Paul Murray Guest

    In article <437f0b95$0$1151$>, Philippe Noth wrote:
    > Daniel's comments are correct. I would add to his list:
    >
    > Pluses for the FZ5:
    > - much better LCD, especially in bright light
    >
    > Plus for the S2IS:
    > - stitch assist mode (helps doing panoramas)
    > - lens extenders available (wide angle + zoom extender)

    Just to add that the FZ5 lens adapter has 55mm threads, and can accept a
    wide range of telephoto and wide angle adapter lenses.

    Paul Murray, Nov 19, 2005
  10. Norm

    Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:24:47 +0100, Philippe Noth <> wrote:

    > Minus for S2IS:
    > - stupid lens cap, keeps falling

    I fixed the lens cap problem with my S2 IS by adding a lens adapter and filter. Now I can use a
    conventional cap.
    , Nov 19, 2005