Canon S2 IS versus Panasonic DMC FZ7

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Karen Selwyn, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Karen Selwyn

    Karen Selwyn Guest

    I'd love some advice before buying either the Canon S2 IS or the
    Panasonic DMC FZ7. (I know that the Panasonic FZ7 won't be available for
    a couple of weeks.)

    I'm looking at those two cameras for their high zoom and macro
    capabilities. I've read reviews that suggest both camera have problems
    focusing at high zoom. This matters to me as I am more likely to take a
    photo of an architectural detail than a photo of a whole building. Also,
    is the zoom feature continuous? I read a site (now I remember neither
    the site nor the camera) which praised the continuous transition of the
    zoom. (It may have been the Kodak P850 which I rejected on the basis of
    lesser picture quality.)

    I don't expect to use either the creative settings or the movie mode. I
    want the best result in auto mode.

    I have tiny hands so, in a perfect world, the best camera will be the
    smallest and lightest. Ultimately, the photo quality matters more than
    weight. I'm currently using an Olympus Stylus 10X which weighs 10
    ounces. The Canon weighs 14 ounces and the Panasonic weighs 11 ounces.

    Recommendations please! Thanks!

    Karen Selwyn
    Karen Selwyn, Feb 9, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 08:25:19 -0500, Karen Selwyn <> wrote:
    > I'd love some advice before buying either the Canon S2 IS or the
    > Panasonic DMC FZ7. (I know that the Panasonic FZ7 won't be available for
    > a couple of weeks.)
    >
    > I'm looking at those two cameras for their high zoom and macro
    > capabilities. I've read reviews that suggest both camera have problems
    > focusing at high zoom. This matters to me as I am more likely to take a
    > photo of an architectural detail than a photo of a whole building. Also,
    > is the zoom feature continuous? I read a site (now I remember neither
    > the site nor the camera) which praised the continuous transition of the
    > zoom. (It may have been the Kodak P850 which I rejected on the basis of
    > lesser picture quality.)
    >
    > I don't expect to use either the creative settings or the movie mode. I
    > want the best result in auto mode.
    >
    > I have tiny hands so, in a perfect world, the best camera will be the
    > smallest and lightest. Ultimately, the photo quality matters more than
    > weight. I'm currently using an Olympus Stylus 10X which weighs 10
    > ounces. The Canon weighs 14 ounces and the Panasonic weighs 11 ounces.


    I have the FZ5, the camera that the 7 will replace, so I can give you
    some feedback.

    In anything approximating good light, I've never had a problem focussing
    at full zoom. In low light, the autofocus can sometimes hunt somewhat,
    but generally gets to the right place eventually.

    The zoom is not truly continuous, but there are something like 20 or 30
    steps in it, so it feels pretty close to continuous. If you want a real
    continous zoom, you'd have to get an FZ30 with its manually-powered
    zoom. I've never been limited in framing by the zoom step size; the
    steps are small enough that you can jog the zoom slightly without
    trouble.

    Auto mode works pretty well until the light levels get low; then you
    have to switch to one of the manual modes. For some reason, the longest
    shutter time in auto is 1/4s. However, I believe that the FZ7 eliminates
    that particular bit of silliness.

    Some examples of pictures I took using the FZ5, in a range of situations
    (zoom, wide angle, low light, etc):
    http://ri22.uchicago.edu/~dmsilev/hawaii/

    To be fair and complete, I should note that people I've talked to with
    the Canon have also generally been happy with their camera. Both models
    give good results.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Feb 9, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Karen Selwyn

    SleeperMan Guest

    Karen Selwyn wrote:
    > I'd love some advice before buying either the Canon S2 IS or the
    > Panasonic DMC FZ7. (I know that the Panasonic FZ7 won't be available
    > for a couple of weeks.)
    >
    > I'm looking at those two cameras for their high zoom and macro
    > capabilities. I've read reviews that suggest both camera have problems
    > focusing at high zoom. This matters to me as I am more likely to take
    > a photo of an architectural detail than a photo of a whole building.
    > Also, is the zoom feature continuous? I read a site (now I remember
    > neither the site nor the camera) which praised the continuous
    > transition of the zoom. (It may have been the Kodak P850 which I
    > rejected on the basis of lesser picture quality.)
    >
    > I don't expect to use either the creative settings or the movie mode.
    > I want the best result in auto mode.
    >
    > I have tiny hands so, in a perfect world, the best camera will be the
    > smallest and lightest. Ultimately, the photo quality matters more than
    > weight. I'm currently using an Olympus Stylus 10X which weighs 10
    > ounces. The Canon weighs 14 ounces and the Panasonic weighs 11 ounces.
    >
    > Recommendations please! Thanks!
    >
    > Karen Selwyn


    as owner of S2, i never experienced any problems focusing in any position,
    and that includes max zoom mode. I even have extra adapter which also works
    quite well. Zoom is continous or not, as you set in settings.
    I guess you alreasy know that you can't have all...small and light camera
    and big zoom at the same time. S2 is bigger and heavier, but it's quite
    excellent camera. But, i guess to be sure it's best that you hold them both
    in your hands, if you will have option maybe do some test shooting and then
    decide. some test shots i have on my web page for viewing:
    http://www.protoncek.com

    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com
    SleeperMan, Feb 9, 2006
    #3
  4. Karen Selwyn

    SMS Guest

    Karen Selwyn wrote:
    > I'd love some advice before buying either the Canon S2 IS or the
    > Panasonic DMC FZ7. (I know that the Panasonic FZ7 won't be available for
    > a couple of weeks.)
    >
    > I'm looking at those two cameras for their high zoom and macro
    > capabilities. I've read reviews that suggest both camera have problems
    > focusing at high zoom. This matters to me as I am more likely to take a
    > photo of an architectural detail than a photo of a whole building. Also,
    > is the zoom feature continuous? I read a site (now I remember neither
    > the site nor the camera) which praised the continuous transition of the
    > zoom. (It may have been the Kodak P850 which I rejected on the basis of
    > lesser picture quality.)
    >
    > I don't expect to use either the creative settings or the movie mode. I
    > want the best result in auto mode.
    >
    > I have tiny hands so, in a perfect world, the best camera will be the
    > smallest and lightest. Ultimately, the photo quality matters more than
    > weight. I'm currently using an Olympus Stylus 10X which weighs 10
    > ounces. The Canon weighs 14 ounces and the Panasonic weighs 11 ounces.
    >
    > Recommendations please! Thanks!


    I think I'd go with the Panasonic. The FZ7 will probably have the same
    noise issues as the FZ5, but the S2 is noisy too.

    At least with the FZ7 you get the the Li-Ion battery. For $350 it's a
    pretty good deal, the Canon is about $75 more.
    SMS, Feb 9, 2006
    #4
  5. Karen Selwyn

    SleeperMan Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > Karen Selwyn wrote:
    >> I'd love some advice before buying either the Canon S2 IS or the
    >> Panasonic DMC FZ7. (I know that the Panasonic FZ7 won't be available
    >> for a couple of weeks.)
    >>
    >> I'm looking at those two cameras for their high zoom and macro
    >> capabilities. I've read reviews that suggest both camera have
    >> problems focusing at high zoom. This matters to me as I am more
    >> likely to take a photo of an architectural detail than a photo of a
    >> whole building. Also, is the zoom feature continuous? I read a site
    >> (now I remember neither the site nor the camera) which praised the
    >> continuous transition of the zoom. (It may have been the Kodak P850
    >> which I rejected on the basis of lesser picture quality.)
    >>
    >> I don't expect to use either the creative settings or the movie
    >> mode. I want the best result in auto mode.
    >>
    >> I have tiny hands so, in a perfect world, the best camera will be the
    >> smallest and lightest. Ultimately, the photo quality matters more
    >> than weight. I'm currently using an Olympus Stylus 10X which weighs
    >> 10 ounces. The Canon weighs 14 ounces and the Panasonic weighs 11
    >> ounces. Recommendations please! Thanks!

    >
    > I think I'd go with the Panasonic. The FZ7 will probably have the same
    > noise issues as the FZ5, but the S2 is noisy too.
    >
    > At least with the FZ7 you get the the Li-Ion battery. For $350 it's a
    > pretty good deal, the Canon is about $75 more.


    not good idea...to start with battery again...not long ago a biiiig thread
    resulted on this topic...meaning which one is better...
    like i said...it's best to wait, hold it, take or at least see some shots
    and first reviews and decide. It maybe a good deal, it may be a bad either.
    It happened before that a good product was corrupted in next model...

    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com
    SleeperMan, Feb 9, 2006
    #5
  6. Karen Selwyn

    Karen Selwyn Guest

    SleeperMan wrote:
    >
    >>I think I'd go with the Panasonic. The FZ7 will probably have the same
    >>noise issues as the FZ5, but the S2 is noisy too.
    >>
    >>At least with the FZ7 you get the the Li-Ion battery. For $350 it's a
    >>pretty good deal, the Canon is about $75 more.

    >
    >
    > not good idea...to start with battery again...not long ago a biiiig thread
    > resulted on this topic...meaning which one is better...
    > like i said...it's best to wait, hold it, take or at least see some shots
    > and first reviews and decide. It maybe a good deal, it may be a bad either.
    > It happened before that a good product was corrupted in next model...


    I'm a complete novice; this will be my first digital camera. As a
    result, I'm confused by your comment and, generally, overwhelmed by the
    whole array of choices and issues!

    You appear to be saying only one of the models uses batteries. Are you
    drawing a distinction between renewable batteries and ordinary
    batteries? If so, which camera takes which type? What do you recommend
    (or was the thread name obvious so I can go to Google Groups)?

    IIRC, the Canon runs on AA batteries so it has the option of operating
    on widely-availble, conventional batteries if something goes wrong with
    the charger or the re-chargeable batteries. I don't remember what the
    Panasonic uses.

    Thanks.

    Karen Selwyn
    Karen Selwyn, Feb 9, 2006
    #6
  7. Karen Selwyn

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:08:46 -0500, Karen Selwyn wrote:

    > I'm a complete novice; this will be my first digital camera. As a
    > result, I'm confused by your comment and, generally, overwhelmed by the
    > whole array of choices and issues!
    >
    > You appear to be saying only one of the models uses batteries. Are you
    > drawing a distinction between renewable batteries and ordinary
    > batteries? If so, which camera takes which type? What do you recommend
    > (or was the thread name obvious so I can go to Google Groups)?
    >
    > IIRC, the Canon runs on AA batteries so it has the option of operating
    > on widely-availble, conventional batteries if something goes wrong with
    > the charger or the re-chargeable batteries. I don't remember what the
    > Panasonic uses.


    Several years ago digital cameras used so much power that for many
    of them the use of alkaline AA batteries was prohibitively
    expensive. Batteries had to be replaced far too often Even if NiMH
    AA batteries were used, battery life wasn't very good, sometimes
    being as low as a couple of dozen shots per charge. At that point,
    cameras that used rechargeable lithium batteries were good choices
    because they provided decent (if not great) battery life. They also
    have a better "self-discharge" property than NiMH batteries that can
    sometimes be an advantage, but not always. If you're not familiar
    with that term it just means that even if the batteries are not
    installed in a camera, they'll slowly lose their charge, so if NiMH
    batteries are needed and it's been a month or two since they were
    last charged, they'll have lost a good amount of their full charge.
    Lithium batteries can go several months longer before needing to be
    recharged. In this respect, alkaline batteries have a *excellent*
    self-discharge rate, since they'll retain most of their charge many
    years after they were purchased.

    Many cameras designed within the last couple of years have solved
    the battery problem *completely*, primarily due to being designed to
    use much less battery power. As an example, Canon's A610 and A620
    can easily take more a couple of thousand shots using AA batteries.
    If the flash (which uses a great deal of battery power) is used for
    many of the shots, these cameras can still take 1200 shots using
    alkalines or 1500 shots per charge using NiMH batteries if the
    viewfinder is used instead of the LCD display. These cameras use
    4AA cells and I don't know how many the Canon S2 IS uses. If it's
    only two, then you could assume it would take slightly less than 1/2
    the number of shots per battery set/charge. Even if it's only good
    for 300 or 400 shots, that's still not too shabby. It would be
    enough for me to go at least several days before the batteries would
    need to be replaced or recharged.

    Even if you prefer AA batteries (you're right - they're cheap and
    easily bought 24 hours/day, almost everywhere), if you really like
    the Panasonic cameras (which I assume use rechargeable lithium
    batteries) don't let that stand in the way of getting one. They're
    good cameras too, but I'd have one qualm. When I saw them in a
    display case they looked very boxy and uncomfortable to hold.
    Obviously many people think they're just fine, but if I was faced
    with the choices you are, I'd want to try one is a camera shop first
    to see if the camera "feel" is better than appearances indicate.
    ASAAR, Feb 9, 2006
    #7
  8. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:08:46 -0500, Karen Selwyn
    <> wrote:

    >SleeperMan wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think I'd go with the Panasonic. The FZ7 will probably have the same
    >>>noise issues as the FZ5, but the S2 is noisy too.
    >>>
    >>>At least with the FZ7 you get the the Li-Ion battery. For $350 it's a
    >>>pretty good deal, the Canon is about $75 more.

    >>
    >>
    >> not good idea...to start with battery again...not long ago a biiiig thread
    >> resulted on this topic...meaning which one is better...
    >> like i said...it's best to wait, hold it, take or at least see some shots
    >> and first reviews and decide. It maybe a good deal, it may be a bad either.
    >> It happened before that a good product was corrupted in next model...

    >
    >I'm a complete novice; this will be my first digital camera. As a
    >result, I'm confused by your comment and, generally, overwhelmed by the
    >whole array of choices and issues!
    >
    >You appear to be saying only one of the models uses batteries. Are you
    >drawing a distinction between renewable batteries and ordinary
    >batteries? If so, which camera takes which type? What do you recommend
    >(or was the thread name obvious so I can go to Google Groups)?
    >
    >IIRC, the Canon runs on AA batteries so it has the option of operating
    >on widely-availble, conventional batteries if something goes wrong with
    >the charger or the re-chargeable batteries. I don't remember what the
    >Panasonic uses.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Karen Selwyn


    I have the S2 IS and am quite satisfied with it.

    It would be a good idea for you to go hold both cameras if you can
    find a store that has both on display.

    Everyone has different tastes.

    Yes the S2 uses AA batteries which is a big plus ... In my Humble
    Opinion... <g>

    --

    Scott in Florida
    Scott in Florida, Feb 10, 2006
    #8
  9. Karen Selwyn

    Guest

    ASAAR.... What a nice, straight-forward explanation of battery
    OC's (operating characteristics :)
    , Feb 10, 2006
    #9
  10. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:49:33 -0500, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > Even if you prefer AA batteries (you're right - they're cheap and
    > easily bought 24 hours/day, almost everywhere), if you really like
    > the Panasonic cameras (which I assume use rechargeable lithium
    > batteries) don't let that stand in the way of getting one. They're
    > good cameras too, but I'd have one qualm. When I saw them in a
    > display case they looked very boxy and uncomfortable to hold.
    > Obviously many people think they're just fine, but if I was faced
    > with the choices you are, I'd want to try one is a camera shop first
    > to see if the camera "feel" is better than appearances indicate.


    I would say that if your hand is big enough to curl around the grip
    without stretching, the camera will be comfortable to hold. That's the
    sort of thing, of course, that needs to be experienced first hand. She
    said she has small hands, so that's something that needs to be checked.
    The FZ5 is somewhat blocky, but it's small (compared to e.g. the S2IS)
    which makes it less of an issue. From the previews I've seen, the FZ7 is
    considerably less blocky than the 5. It's hard to tell from the preview
    pictures, but the grip seems to be about the same size.

    And yes, the FZ series uses lithium batteries.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Feb 10, 2006
    #10
  11. Karen Selwyn

    SMS Guest

    Karen Selwyn wrote:

    > I'm a complete novice; this will be my first digital camera. As a
    > result, I'm confused by your comment and, generally, overwhelmed by the


    The noise issue is significant with these small sensor, high megapixel,
    CCD cameras because the pixel size is so small. You have to accept that
    you really can't use anything higher than ISO 200, and often even the
    ISO 200 is noisy. Panasonic seems to constantly get panned for noise
    issues, but it may be simply because their cameras are so compelling in
    other ways and the noise spoils what would otherwise be an outstanding
    product line-up.

    > IIRC, the Canon runs on AA batteries so it has the option of operating
    > on widely-availble, conventional batteries if something goes wrong with
    > the charger or the re-chargeable batteries. I don't remember what the
    > Panasonic uses.


    Yes the advantage of AA batteries is the ability to use conventional
    batteries in a pinch. However there are significant advantages to Li-Ion
    as well. You can read about the trade-offs between the two types of
    batteries at "http://batterydata.com". It's a site I put together to
    bring together all the issues in the battery debate in a clear and
    unbiased manner.

    As someone else pointed out, it may be unwise to rush out and buy a FZ7,
    prior to some independent reviews. It is quite possible that the FZ7
    will be worse than the FZ5, because the increased resolution will mean
    more noise. You might be better off with the FZ5.

    If the noise is the same on both, go with the Panasonic for the lower
    price and the Li-Ion battery.
    SMS, Feb 10, 2006
    #11
  12. Karen Selwyn

    ASAAR Guest

    On 9 Feb 2006 16:27:21 -0800, wrote:

    > ASAAR.... What a nice, straight-forward explanation of battery
    > OC's (operating characteristics :)


    Thanks. Or you're welcome. Or something. :)
    ASAAR, Feb 10, 2006
    #12
  13. Karen Selwyn

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:31:22 GMT, Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    > I would say that if your hand is big enough to curl around the grip
    > without stretching, the camera will be comfortable to hold. That's the
    > sort of thing, of course, that needs to be experienced first hand. She
    > said she has small hands, so that's something that needs to be checked.
    > The FZ5 is somewhat blocky, but it's small (compared to e.g. the S2IS)
    > which makes it less of an issue. From the previews I've seen, the FZ7 is
    > considerably less blocky than the 5. It's hard to tell from the preview
    > pictures, but the grip seems to be about the same size.


    From the beginning I've liked the appearance of Panasonic's
    cameras, but that was based on seeing photographs. I never
    appreciated their "blockiness" until I actually saw them in a
    display case. But even then, they might handle wonderfully, but I'd
    want to hold one before making a purchase. But that applies to all
    cameras, because one that looks ergonomically well designed might
    handle poorly too. In a way, though, with enough practice and use,
    almost all cameras should present no long term problems. I learned
    quite early (via pianos and later with guitars) that hands and
    fingers can be stretched and contorted to amazing degrees, and
    perform quite nimbly and accurately, even with eyes closed. Cameras
    should present a much less difficulty, with the less comfortable and
    harder to operate models only requiring more frequent use before
    their operation also becomes "second nature" and discomfort
    disappears. It's another matter if the camera will be used
    infrequently. Then the "feel" becomes much more important.
    ASAAR, Feb 10, 2006
    #13
  14. Karen Selwyn

    Ian O Guest

    In article <>,
    Scott in Florida <> wrote:

    > >IIRC, the Canon runs on AA batteries so it has the option of operating
    > >on widely-availble, conventional batteries if something goes wrong with
    > >the charger or the re-chargeable batteries. I don't remember what the
    > >Panasonic uses.
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > >Karen Selwyn

    >
    > I have the S2 IS and am quite satisfied with it.
    >
    > It would be a good idea for you to go hold both cameras if you can
    > find a store that has both on display.
    >
    > Everyone has different tastes.
    >
    > Yes the S2 uses AA batteries which is a big plus ... In my Humble
    > Opinion... <g>


    I had an S1 before my present FZ30 and found that I needed to have about
    4 sets of batteries plus a fast charger when I was on holiday, when
    opportunities for charging may be 'irregular'. The S1 and presumably the
    S2 eats batteries without mercy, or the AA NiMH don't last anywhere near
    as long as the LiIon cells in the Panasonic.

    You should factor extra sets of batteries (and charger for the Canon)
    for both cameras.

    I liked the Canon's full tilt & swivel viewfinder, can be very useful.

    --
    ....IRO
    Ian O, Feb 10, 2006
    #14
  15. Karen Selwyn

    John H Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:58:04 +1300, Ian O
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Scott in Florida <> wrote:
    >
    >> >IIRC, the Canon runs on AA batteries so it has the option of operating
    >> >on widely-availble, conventional batteries if something goes wrong with
    >> >the charger or the re-chargeable batteries. I don't remember what the
    >> >Panasonic uses.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks.
    >> >
    >> >Karen Selwyn

    >>
    >> I have the S2 IS and am quite satisfied with it.
    >>
    >> It would be a good idea for you to go hold both cameras if you can
    >> find a store that has both on display.
    >>
    >> Everyone has different tastes.
    >>
    >> Yes the S2 uses AA batteries which is a big plus ... In my Humble
    >> Opinion... <g>

    >
    >I had an S1 before my present FZ30 and found that I needed to have about
    >4 sets of batteries plus a fast charger when I was on holiday, when
    >opportunities for charging may be 'irregular'. The S1 and presumably the
    >S2 eats batteries without mercy, or the AA NiMH don't last anywhere near
    >as long as the LiIon cells in the Panasonic.
    >
    >You should factor extra sets of batteries (and charger for the Canon)
    >for both cameras.
    >
    >I liked the Canon's full tilt & swivel viewfinder, can be very useful.


    Did that Canon have a built in hand warmer? ;-) I have the
    S2. To speculate that the S2 eats batteries is nonsense. Battery
    life just isn't an issue.

    John H
    John H, Feb 10, 2006
    #15
  16. Karen Selwyn

    SMS Guest

    Ian O wrote:

    > I had an S1 before my present FZ30 and found that I needed to have about
    > 4 sets of batteries plus a fast charger when I was on holiday, when
    > opportunities for charging may be 'irregular'. The S1 and presumably the
    > S2 eats batteries without mercy, or the AA NiMH don't last anywhere near
    > as long as the LiIon cells in the Panasonic.
    >
    > You should factor extra sets of batteries (and charger for the Canon)
    > for both cameras.


    It isn't the cost of AA batteries, as much as it is the inconvenience of
    the shorter battery life, the swapping of four cells versus one pack,
    keeping three or sets of AA cells separate and charged (use different
    colored Sharpie markers and mark each set), the need to keep them warm
    (I do a lot of XC skiing), and the self-discharge if there are long
    periods between use. My son has a previous generation Canon A series,
    and I finally gave up on the NiMH and just stuck some alkalines in
    there. He probably uses the camera once a month or so, but invariably
    we're rushing out the door to go on a hike or something, and the NiMH
    cells would be flat from self-discharge. OTOH, I can grab one of my
    Li-Ion powered cameras that might not have been charged for several
    months, and have no problems with the battery.

    The reason that such a big deal is made of the fact that you can buy AA
    cells anywhere, is that those individuals have been using using NiMH AA
    cell powered cameras have frequently been required to buy disposable
    cells when the NiMH cells are exhausted. The people that have always
    been using Li-Ion, don't understand what the big deal is, because
    they've never been in the situation of having a flat battery with no spare.

    There's a reason why cell phone manufacturers, PDA manufacturers,
    camcorder manufacturers, laptop computer manufacturers, etc., have all
    moved to Li-Ion. The only reason that you can even still get AA powered
    digital cameras is because the manufacturer has seen the opportunity to
    cut $5 or so out of their manufacturing cost, by not including a battery
    and charger.

    Steve
    http://batterydata.com
    SMS, Feb 10, 2006
    #16
  17. On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:43:56 GMT, John H <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:58:04 +1300, Ian O
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> Scott in Florida <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> >IIRC, the Canon runs on AA batteries so it has the option of operating
    >>> >on widely-availble, conventional batteries if something goes wrong with
    >>> >the charger or the re-chargeable batteries. I don't remember what the
    >>> >Panasonic uses.
    >>> >
    >>> >Thanks.
    >>> >
    >>> >Karen Selwyn
    >>>
    >>> I have the S2 IS and am quite satisfied with it.
    >>>
    >>> It would be a good idea for you to go hold both cameras if you can
    >>> find a store that has both on display.
    >>>
    >>> Everyone has different tastes.
    >>>
    >>> Yes the S2 uses AA batteries which is a big plus ... In my Humble
    >>> Opinion... <g>

    >>
    >>I had an S1 before my present FZ30 and found that I needed to have about
    >>4 sets of batteries plus a fast charger when I was on holiday, when
    >>opportunities for charging may be 'irregular'. The S1 and presumably the
    >>S2 eats batteries without mercy, or the AA NiMH don't last anywhere near
    >>as long as the LiIon cells in the Panasonic.
    >>
    >>You should factor extra sets of batteries (and charger for the Canon)
    >>for both cameras.
    >>
    >>I liked the Canon's full tilt & swivel viewfinder, can be very useful.

    >
    > Did that Canon have a built in hand warmer? ;-) I have the
    >S2. To speculate that the S2 eats batteries is nonsense. Battery
    >life just isn't an issue.
    >
    >John H


    I'll second that. I have yet to run a set of batteries down in a
    week's shooting.

    --

    Scott in Florida
    Scott in Florida, Feb 10, 2006
    #17
  18. Karen Selwyn

    Me Guest

    Me, Feb 10, 2006
    #18
  19. Karen Selwyn

    SleeperMan Guest

    Karen Selwyn wrote:
    > SleeperMan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think I'd go with the Panasonic. The FZ7 will probably have the
    >>> same noise issues as the FZ5, but the S2 is noisy too.
    >>>
    >>> At least with the FZ7 you get the the Li-Ion battery. For $350 it's
    >>> a pretty good deal, the Canon is about $75 more.

    >>
    >>
    >> not good idea...to start with battery again...not long ago a biiiig
    >> thread resulted on this topic...meaning which one is better...
    >> like i said...it's best to wait, hold it, take or at least see some
    >> shots and first reviews and decide. It maybe a good deal, it may be
    >> a bad either. It happened before that a good product was corrupted
    >> in next model...

    >
    > I'm a complete novice; this will be my first digital camera. As a
    > result, I'm confused by your comment and, generally, overwhelmed by
    > the whole array of choices and issues!
    >
    > You appear to be saying only one of the models uses batteries. Are you
    > drawing a distinction between renewable batteries and ordinary
    > batteries? If so, which camera takes which type? What do you recommend
    > (or was the thread name obvious so I can go to Google Groups)?
    >
    > IIRC, the Canon runs on AA batteries so it has the option of operating
    > on widely-availble, conventional batteries if something goes wrong
    > with the charger or the re-chargeable batteries. I don't remember
    > what the Panasonic uses.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Karen Selwyn


    i guess you already got the answer...but still... not long ago a big
    conversation went on about what kind of batteries is better.. NiMH (AA) size
    or Lithium ones. Lithiums are more expensive, soe claim they last longer,
    are lighter. NiMH are cheaper, if in emergency you can always buy normal
    alkaline ones and put them in for a few shots. No result was found, and
    never will. It's not an issue for buying a camera, if you ask me. I also
    confirm that the one who wrote that S2 is battery eater, wrote complete
    rubbish. I can easily make 500-600 shots with one charge, and shots are well
    mixed with flash. My old ex Olympus C310 - that one WAS eater...since
    batteries were empty after 150 shots...

    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com
    SleeperMan, Feb 10, 2006
    #19
  20. Karen Selwyn

    Ian O Guest

    In article <>,
    Scott in Florida <> wrote:

    > > Did that Canon have a built in hand warmer? ;-) I have the
    > >S2. To speculate that the S2 eats batteries is nonsense. Battery
    > >life just isn't an issue.
    > >
    > >John H

    >
    > I'll second that. I have yet to run a set of batteries down in a
    > week's shooting.


    True, but I found that every time I took the S1 out, the battery red
    flag would be flashing and often the spare cell sets were partly-mostly
    discaharged. It's almost as if you have to leave the batteries
    permanently in the charger, to keep them topped up.

    I had no complaints about the Canon's number of images taken in a couple
    of days or so with a freshly charged NiMH set. The problem was
    shelf-life.

    --
    ....IRO
    Ian O, Feb 12, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bart Wakker

    Canon A620 or Panasonic DMC-FZ7, is a large lens important?

    Bart Wakker, Apr 2, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    506
    Daniel Silevitch
    Apr 2, 2006
  2. Chris

    Panasonic DMC-FZ7 for sale - Brand new

    Chris, Apr 14, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    381
    Chris
    Apr 15, 2006
  3. MaryJane Puxley

    Canon S3 IS vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7?

    MaryJane Puxley, Oct 4, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    925
    Daniel Silevitch
    Oct 8, 2006
  4. photocutoutscom
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    347
    photocutoutscom
    Nov 28, 2006
  5. Replies:
    59
    Views:
    1,165
    John Ortt
    Feb 23, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page