    impressed by the results.

    http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

    , Aug 18, 2005

  2. Mike Warren Guest

    wrote:
    > Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS.
    > The camera was hand held, auto settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum
    > digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very impressed by
    > the results.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

    I was waiting to shoot the moon tonight but it's been raining in
    Cairns. So instead, I made a quick improvement to your pic in
    Photoshop. Is it ok for me to post it? (or I can email it to you
    if you like).

    -Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 18, 2005

  3. yAro Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS. The

    camera was hand held, auto
    > settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum digital (puke!) zoom to see how it

    would go. I am very
    > impressed by the results.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

    Yeah, I can see something bright and round. You'd better do the same without
    digi-zoom so we could actually see
    something smaller but at least in focus. Then one can say something about
    the quality of this camera and functionality of
    its IS.

    yAro, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Re: Canon S2 IS test image - Panasonic FZ5 & FZ20 comparisons

    wrote:
    > Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS.
    > The camera was hand held, auto settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum
    > digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very impressed by
    > the results.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

    Without the "benefit" of digital zoom, this is what I got from some
    Panasonic cameras:

    FZ20:
    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/FZ20-moon-2004-10-23-2335-01-crop.jpg

    FZ5:
    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/FZ5-moon-2005-04-23-2223-53-crop.jpg

    Hand-held, but I used spot metering and some exposure compensation to
    avoid over exposure. The results are not dissimilar. I remain surprised
    by the results which cameras of this class can produce, whatever the
    brand.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 18, 2005
  5. Pete D Guest

    Not that impressive, here's one I did without IS, just plonked it on a
    tripod.

    http://pentaxds.multiply.com/photos/photo/4/1.jpg

    Pete D, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Pete D Guest

    Or here for the slightly larger version.
    http://pentaxds.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/4/1.jpg?xurl=/photos/photo/4/1.jpg

    Pete D, Aug 18, 2005
  7. Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:10:26 +1000, "Mike Warren" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS.
    > > The camera was hand held, auto settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum
    > > digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very impressed by
    > > the results.
    > >
    > > http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

    > I was waiting to shoot the moon tonight but it's been raining in
    > Cairns. So instead, I made a quick improvement to your pic in
    > Photoshop. Is it ok for me to post it? (or I can email it to you
    > if you like).

    Post it. ;-)

    , Aug 18, 2005
  8. Mike Warren Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:10:26 +1000, "Mike Warren"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS.
    >>> The camera was hand held, auto settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum
    >>> digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very impressed by
    >>> the results.
    >>>
    >>> http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

    >> I was waiting to shoot the moon tonight but it's been raining in
    >> Cairns. So instead, I made a quick improvement to your pic in
    >> Photoshop. Is it ok for me to post it? (or I can email it to you
    >> if you like).

    > Post it. ;-)

    Ok. Here it is http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/aoqc8j-modified.jpg

    -Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 18, 2005
  9. SleeperMan Guest

    wrote:
    > Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS.
    > The camera was hand held, auto settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum
    > digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very impressed by
    > the results.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

    since you're shooting a moon, i guess i can send some shots to it...
    Since you all already did shoot it, i only did two shots with tele converter
    (Canon) - one with full optical zoom:
    http://www.protoncek.com/misc/max_opt_conv.jpg

    and other with full optical and digital zoom (also with converter):

    http://www.protoncek.com/misc/max_opt&digi_conv.jpg

    just for comparing purposes...

    SleeperMan, Aug 18, 2005
  10. Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:20:39 +1000, "Mike Warren" <>
    wrote:

    > >> I was waiting to shoot the moon tonight but it's been raining in
    > >> Cairns. So instead, I made a quick improvement to your pic in
    > >> Photoshop. Is it ok for me to post it? (or I can email it to you
    > >> if you like).

    > > Post it. ;-)

    > Ok. Here it is http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/aoqc8j-modified.jpg
    >
    > -Mike

    It cleans up nicely.

    , Aug 18, 2005
  11. russell Guest

    Ok.. This is my 2 bobs worth..
    and that's the colour it was and it was handheld without any support at all.

    http://russellhobman.multiply.com/photos

    russell, Aug 19, 2005
  12. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS. The
    > camera was hand held, auto
    > settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum digital (puke!) zoom to see how it
    > would go. I am very
    > impressed by the results.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

    Here's your image again...tweaked a bit for fringing, etc., and
    in black & white:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/47904789/original

    Mark

    Mark², Aug 19, 2005