    Rgds,
    Dolphy
    Sydney AUSTRALIA

    Dolphy, May 6, 2006

  2. Dolphy

    Guest

    The S2 has a maximum flash range of about 5m according to dpreview
    (just check your manual). Within that range, it *should* expose
    correctly, assuming you are using auto settings.

    What is most likely happening is that the nature of the subject is
    'fooling' the camera's metering system. Try dialling the flash
    exposure compensation down a bit, especially when shooting subjects on
    a dark background. Also, try reducing the Contrast setting - the S2's
    default setting may be too high (again, according to dpreview, which
    noted its tendency to blow highlights a bit more than it should..).
    You could also try adjusting the main exposure compensation down too.

    , May 6, 2006

  3. Dolphy

    SleeperMan Guest

    In news:,
    Dolphy <> typed:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I have had the Canon S2IS for a couple of months now.
    >
    > I wanted some expert advice as to what is the optimal distance to take
    > pictures using the flash.
    >
    > I have taken several pics with the flash active and in some instances
    > the flash has overpowered the image, the image turns out to be
    > saturated with white.

    > Rgds,
    > Dolphy
    > Sydney AUSTRALIA

    we could use some more info...like where is your dialer position etc...if
    you have elsewhere than on AUTO, it's possible this kind of behaviour if you
    have set exposure metering system to spot (that square with one spot in
    center) instead to other two settings. spot metering looks for light info
    only in center small square, while second setting looks more widely spreaded
    and third even more average setting.. It's second button on right of lcd
    from top.
    BTW...from my experience, flash range is far from 5m...more like some 3m,
    hardly 4m.

    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

    SleeperMan, May 6, 2006