Canon S1 Update

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nesredep egrob, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Some S1's need their firmware updated. Mine was one of the ones to be dealt
    with. I had no trouble downloading and following instructions until I got to:

    "Verify firmware version".
    Perform the following steps to verify the firmware update
    ZoomBrowser EX: in Camera Window select [Camera Setup]
    Verify that the firmware version is 1.0.1.0.
    End of quote.

    It probably should have read as per email from Canon

    1. Connect the camera to the back of your computer (USB) and power it on in the
    playback mode.
    2. Launch the ZoomBrowser program.
    3. Click [Camera & Memory Card] followed by [Browse and Download Images].
    4. On the window that appears, select the option to [List Images]. The
    Camera Window should appear.
    5. On this window click [Set] followed by [Camera Settings]. On the
    window that appears the installed firmware version will be displayed.

    You have to be quite a mind reader to get from the printed instructions to the
    correct, as per email.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    nesredep egrob, Jul 20, 2004

  2. nesredep egrob

    Rick Guest

    "nesredep egrob" <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote in message news:...
    > Some S1's need their firmware updated. Mine was one of the ones to be dealt
    > with. I had no trouble downloading and following instructions until I got to:
    >
    > "Verify firmware version".
    > Perform the following steps to verify the firmware update
    > ZoomBrowser EX: in Camera Window select [Camera Setup]
    > Verify that the firmware version is 1.0.1.0.
    > End of quote.
    >
    > It probably should have read as per email from Canon
    >
    > 1. Connect the camera to the back of your computer (USB) and power it on in the
    > playback mode.
    > 2. Launch the ZoomBrowser program.
    > 3. Click [Camera & Memory Card] followed by [Browse and Download Images].
    > 4. On the window that appears, select the option to [List Images]. The
    > Camera Window should appear.
    > 5. On this window click [Set] followed by [Camera Settings]. On the
    > window that appears the installed firmware version will be displayed.

    All I had to do was connect the camera, launch ZoomBrowser
    when the popup menu appeared, then select Camera (in the
    top menu) and then Camera Settings. The new firmware
    version was displayed there.

    Rick

    Rick, Jul 20, 2004

  3. nesredep egrob wrote:
    > Some S1's need their firmware updated. Mine was one of the ones to be
    > dealt with. I had no trouble downloading and following instructions
    > until I got to:

    [list of instruction clipped]

    Don't Canon allow you to upgrade just by putting the new firmware on a CF
    card? Your procedure sounds very complicated compared to what I needed to
    do with the Nikon 990 and 5700!!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 20, 2004
  4. nesredep egrob

    Rick Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in message
    > nesredep egrob wrote:
    > > Some S1's need their firmware updated. Mine was one of the ones to be
    > > dealt with. I had no trouble downloading and following instructions
    > > until I got to:

    > [list of instruction clipped]
    >
    > Don't Canon allow you to upgrade just by putting the new firmware on a CF
    > card? Your procedure sounds very complicated compared to what I needed to
    > do with the Nikon 990 and 5700!!

    Yes. He's talking about the final step, after the camera
    is flashed, to verify the new firmware version. It's not
    even necessary (assuming the firmware update went
    as planned).

    Rick

    Rick, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Rick wrote:
    []
    > Yes. He's talking about the final step, after the camera
    > is flashed, to verify the new firmware version. It's not
    > even necessary (assuming the firmware update went
    > as planned).
    >
    > Rick

    Thanks, Rick. With the Nikons you can verify the firmware version just by
    holding down one button while switching on.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 20, 2004
  6. nesredep egrob

    SleeperMan Guest

    nesredep egrob typed:

    > Some S1's need their firmware updated. Mine was one of the ones to be
    > dealt with. I had no trouble downloading and following instructions
    > until I got to:
    >
    > "Verify firmware version".
    > Perform the following steps to verify the firmware update
    > ZoomBrowser EX: in Camera Window select [Camera Setup]
    > Verify that the firmware version is 1.0.1.0.
    > End of quote.
    >
    > It probably should have read as per email from Canon
    >
    > 1. Connect the camera to the back of your computer (USB) and power
    > it on in the playback mode.
    > 2. Launch the ZoomBrowser program.
    > 3. Click [Camera & Memory Card] followed by [Browse and Download
    > Images].
    > 4. On the window that appears, select the option to [List Images].
    > The
    > Camera Window should appear.
    > 5. On this window click [Set] followed by [Camera Settings]. On the
    > window that appears the installed firmware version will be displayed.
    >
    > You have to be quite a mind reader to get from the printed
    > instructions to the correct, as per email.
    >
    > B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    > If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    Where did you find this firmware upgrade?

    SleeperMan, Jul 20, 2004
  7. nesredep egrob

    nellybly Guest

    nellybly, Jul 20, 2004
  8. nesredep egrob

    SleeperMan Guest

    nellybly typed:

    > In article <9odLc.322$>, SleeperMan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Where did you find this firmware upgrade?

    > http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/pss1is/firmware-e.html
    >
    > HTH!
    > NB

    Many thanks! I looked at canon europe and there is just a bunch of drivers,
    updates and similar crap...
    I hope they improved focusing in low light conditions...

    SleeperMan, Jul 20, 2004
  9. On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:06:28 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    >Don't Canon allow you to upgrade just by putting the new firmware on a CF
    >card? Your procedure sounds very complicated compared to what I needed to
    >do with the Nikon 990 and 5700!!
    >
    >Cheers,
    >David

    They do but they also suggest that you look up the success or otherwise of your
    actions.
    Only that was difficult - probably because I had never used the program before.
    I use readers for the various cards and have my own editing program.

    hosts is at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    and stinger at http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    nesredep egrob, Jul 21, 2004
  10. nesredep egrob, Jul 21, 2004
  11. nesredep egrob

    WhaleShark Guest

    nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:06:28 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>Don't Canon allow you to upgrade just by putting the new firmware on a CF
    >>card? Your procedure sounds very complicated compared to what I needed to
    >>do with the Nikon 990 and 5700!!
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>David
    >>

    > They do but they also suggest that you look up the success or otherwise of
    > your actions.
    > Only that was difficult - probably because I had never used the program
    > before. I use readers for the various cards and have my own editing
    > program.

    With that particular update you don't have to check the firmware
    version. Just take a photo, you'll see the difference in the handling
    of the camera.

    --

    QUIPd 1.02: (458 of 679)
    -> My new invention for those who like peace and quiet - a

    My photo albums: http://www.pbase.com/sny

    WhaleShark, Jul 25, 2004