    --
    Bob Burns
    Mill Hall PA

    Bob Burns, Apr 27, 2005

  2. Bob Burns

    Fyimo Guest

    You are right in buying good lens is where you want to spend you money.
    I've never owned the 24-70mm f2.8 but did own the earlier Canon 28-70mm
    f2.8 and it was a great lens. I've owned several of the Canon 50mm f1.8
    version 1 lens as I seemed to buy them and then later sell them because
    I wasn't using them. All of the ones I owned were good but I found the
    28-70mm f2.8 to be as good and offered me the ability to crop in the
    camera.

    If you like to shoot wide angle shots the 24mm end of the 24-70mm will
    be lacking because with the crop factor the lens is the equivalent of a
    38-112mm lens. I bought the 17-40mm f4 and it's a great lens.The
    70-200mm f4 L lens is a great lens optically and is lighter then it's
    big brother the f2.8 version.

    I can also tell you that image stabalization really works so as you
    build your lens kit I would look for it in the lens that will meet your
    focal length needs. It really does make a difference especailly on the
    longer lens. I love my 70-200mm f4 but would trade up just to get the
    IS version in f2.8. I would do it not for the extra light available at
    f2.8 but for the IS.

    Art

    Fyimo, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Bob Burns wrote:
    > I'm considering a Canon Digital Rebel body with the Canon 24-70 mm
    > f2.8 lense. My theory is to put my money into the lens rather than
    > the body. BTW, I'm moving from a Minolta SLR film camera and a pocket
    > digital camera. Any comments from the more experienced users?

    If you have a substantial investment in Minolta lenses, why not get a
    Minolta DSLR - it includes image stabilisation in the body so all your
    lenses become IS ones....

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 27, 2005
  4. "Bob Burns" <> wrote in message

    > My theory is to put my money into the lens rather than the body.

    I'm doing the same. Going 2.8 L or better on all glass and using two and
    four year old bodies (300D and 1D).

    Dave R knows who, Apr 27, 2005
  5. Bob Burns

    jean Guest

    Good choice, if you get the 350XT even better. The 24-70 is a great lens.

    Jean

    jean, Apr 28, 2005