    --
    Susan Phillips

    "God Bless America"

    Susan Phillips, Sep 26, 2004

  2. Susan Phillips

    Drifter Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:50:39 -0400, "Susan Phillips"
    <> wrote:

    >I am fairly new to digital photography. I have a very cheap camera and want to upgrade.
    >Is the Canon Rebel a good camera? It seems to be getting a lot of publicity right now.
    >Thanks to anyone who can help.

    Yes it seems to be a fairly decent camera. However I would suggest
    you read the following article so you may have some idea what you are
    getting into.

    http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/Pontification/ba_Don't_Be_A_Bozo/a_Don't_Be_A_Bozo.html

    Have fun

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Sep 26, 2004

  3. Susan Phillips

    ed Guest

    "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>

    http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/Pontification/ba_Don't_Be_A_Bozo/a_Don't_
    Be_A_Bozo.html

    > Have fun

    Great link, and the information applies to all digicams (except sigmas!)

    ed, Sep 26, 2004
  4. Susan Phillips

    John Wright Guest

    "Susan Phillips" wrote
    I am fairly new to digital photography. I have a very cheap camera and want to upgrade. Is the Canon Rebel a good camera? It seems to be getting a lot of publicity right now. Thanks to anyone who can help.

    --
    Susan Phillips

    "God Bless America"
    The information you have provided is hardly adequate for anyone to provide you good advice. You have to start with what you needs are. For example ...

    Do you need use of interchangeable lenses, have you already got any? Is small size/weight and portability important to you?

    Will you do a lot of low-light photos? Do you need to freeze very fast action? Are you experienced in using a wide range (1/4000 sec to 30 sec) of exposure? Do you have use for ISOs up to 1600? Do you need [and can you use] aperture priority, shutter priority, depth of field etc?

    Is it for taking professional quality photos (where you wish to make an income from your photo work), or simply pleasure/family/holiday/friends photos?

    Even if you have the budget to pay Rebel's price tag, you should verify that you can use its features. Otherwise you may be wasting money.

    Regards - JW

    John Wright, Sep 26, 2004
  5. Susan Phillips

    GT40 Guest

    You would be better off with the 10D or 20D

    GT40, Sep 26, 2004
  6. Susan Phillips

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Wouldn't we all! :)

    Bill Crocker
    Canon G6

    Bill Crocker, Sep 26, 2004
  7. Susan Phillips

    GT40 Guest

    I'd rather have a 1D Mark II or 1Ds Mark II

    GT40, Sep 26, 2004
  8. The Digital Rebel is "Highly Recommended" by a website called
    http://www.dpreview.com, a very good website.

    However, if you do really need a Digital SLR, do not also overlook the Nikon
    D70, which is flat-out outstanding and not THAT much more. Also Pentax has
    their *ist D, although that's quite a bit higher; they now have the *ist DS,
    which is about the same price as the Digital Rebel.

    As someone else stated, make sure you do need that much camera. You may well
    be happier with something less pricey--yet still wonderful--like a Nikon
    Coolpix 5700, Sony DSC-F717, or Canon Powershot G3 (the latter two are
    discontinued but you may can still find them). Also, the Nikon Coolpix
    8700--basically the same as the 5700 but with 8 megapixels instead of 8--has
    come down in price somewhat, so don't ignore that possibility.

    I mean, your comments "fairly new, have cheap camera, want to upgrade"
    sounds like someone who maybe doesn't need something in the league of a
    Digital Rebel or even the other models I mentioned; heck, a Canon Powershot
    A95 or Nikon Coolpix 5200 (say) might be more up your alley. Depending on
    what you have, going from what you have now to a D-SLR may be like going
    from a 1985 Toyota Corolla to a 2005 Lexus IS400--when a (say) good used
    2003 Toyota Camry or 2001 Toyota Corolla would still be a huge upgrade--hope
    that analogy makes sense.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 26, 2004
  9. Susan Phillips

    macro Guest

    I think she wants is the Canon 1V.

    macro, Sep 26, 2004
  10. Susan Phillips

    GT40 Guest

    Thats a 35mm film camera, not a digital

    GT40, Sep 26, 2004
  11. A digital is definitely what I want. Thanks for all of your help everyone.
    I will look at the suggested links and other cameras and make my choice. I
    want it for pleasure. Family, Vacations, etc. But, I want professional
    looking pictures that I can frame. I want to be able to make into 11x 13's
    or larger for hanging and to give away as nice gifts. But, want them to be
    something nice enough to give as gifts! LOL

    Thanks all................

    Susan Phillips, Sep 26, 2004
  12. Susan Phillips

    carolyn Guest

    Susan-
    I have both the film and digital canon rebel and i love them both.
    they are such a great camera. i actually like them better than the
    nikon. they are easy to work with and people oriented. i am sure you
    will find the same if you invest the money.

    carolyn*

    carolyn, Sep 26, 2004
  13. Susan Phillips

    GT40 Guest

    For what you want the digital rebel will be great.

    If you want to make 11x13's make sure you set the camera to the
    highest resloution. Better to shoot in RAW mode, and convert as
    needed.

    GT40, Sep 26, 2004