    .. I will be doing this as my husband knows nothing about computers.
    Thanks Fran
    , Dec 11, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > I just purchased the rebel XTi camera for my husband for christmas .
    > He has a canon A30 now which came with Zoombrowser . The new camera has
    > a newer version of the same software. My question to those who may know
    > is will the newer version simply overwrite the o;der version or will I
    > need to uninstall the version I now have and then load the new version
    > . I will be doing this as my husband knows nothing about computers.
    > Thanks Fran

    Mac or PC ?
    Regardless, uninstall the previous version anyhow.
    Best not to leave any pesky old files hanging around.
    Not much of an issue on the Mac, but old DLL files on the
    PC can cause the odd headache.

    Gary.
    , Dec 11, 2006

  3. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I just purchased the rebel XTi camera for my husband for christmas .
    > > He has a canon A30 now which came with Zoombrowser . The new camera has
    > > a newer version of the same software. My question to those who may know
    > > is will the newer version simply overwrite the o;der version or will I
    > > need to uninstall the version I now have and then load the new version
    > > . I will be doing this as my husband knows nothing about computers.
    > > Thanks Fran

    > Mac or PC ?
    > Regardless, uninstall the previous version anyhow.
    > Best not to leave any pesky old files hanging around.
    > Not much of an issue on the Mac, but old DLL files on the
    > PC can cause the odd headache.
    >
    > Gary.

    Thanks I am using a PC windows XP home edition
    , Dec 11, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    > Thanks I am using a PC windows XP home edition

    Yup,
    Start/settings/control panel/Add Remove software.

    Select the program and remove it, reboot.
    Restart and install the new software.
    Check its working, 'Bobs your Uncle' !!!
    , Dec 11, 2006
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks I am using a PC windows XP home edition

    > Yup,
    > Start/settings/control panel/Add Remove software.
    >
    > Select the program and remove it, reboot.
    > Restart and install the new software.
    > Check its working, 'Bobs your Uncle' !!!

    If I remove the original software from the PC will I still be able to
    download from the smaller digital canon a30 , I think he will still
    want to use it for some quick photos when we travel . will the new
    drivers work for the smaller older camera. or should i leave all the
    files from the original camera in place
    , Dec 12, 2006
  6. Mark B. Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Thanks I am using a PC windows XP home edition

    >> Yup,
    >> Start/settings/control panel/Add Remove software.
    >>
    >> Select the program and remove it, reboot.
    >> Restart and install the new software.
    >> Check its working, 'Bobs your Uncle' !!!

    > If I remove the original software from the PC will I still be able to
    > download from the smaller digital canon a30 , I think he will still
    > want to use it for some quick photos when we travel . will the new
    > drivers work for the smaller older camera. or should i leave all the
    > files from the original camera in place

    Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
    camera.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 12, 2006
  7. Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > wrote:

    > >> Yup,
    > >> Start/settings/control panel/Add Remove software.
    > >>
    > >> Select the program and remove it, reboot.
    > >> Restart and install the new software.
    > >> Check its working, 'Bobs your Uncle' !!!

    > > If I remove the original software from the PC will I still be able to
    > > download from the smaller digital canon a30 , I think he will still
    > > want to use it for some quick photos when we travel . will the new
    > > drivers work for the smaller older camera. or should i leave all the
    > > files from the original camera in place
    > >

    > Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
    > camera.
    >
    > Mark

    I really do not want to purchase another piece of equipment . I like
    haveing the photos on my pc . I use my pc to copy the photos to CD also
    to make DVD slideshows . We also e-mail the photos to friends out of
    town so I think I need to just work with the PC. It is an option if
    all else fails. I hope the Manuals may shed some light. Guess I will
    just need to wait until Christmas morning
    , Dec 12, 2006
  8. John Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Yup,
    >>> Start/settings/control panel/Add Remove software.
    >>>
    >>> Select the program and remove it, reboot.
    >>> Restart and install the new software.
    >>> Check its working, 'Bobs your Uncle' !!!

    >> If I remove the original software from the PC will I still be able to
    >> download from the smaller digital canon a30 , I think he will still
    >> want to use it for some quick photos when we travel . will the new
    >> drivers work for the smaller older camera. or should i leave all the
    >> files from the original camera in place
    >>

    > Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
    > camera.
    >
    > Mark

    Not a bad idea at all. It seems to take forever to download images from the
    camera using Canon's software.

    With a Sandisk Extreme III CF and a Sandisk firewire reader, I was able to
    download over 70 images (>800MB) in a bit over one (1) minute to a 7200 RPM
    hard disk (RAID 0). This was done using a DOS command prompt with no image
    software running (Zoombrowser or Bridge).
    John, Dec 12, 2006
  9. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I just purchased the rebel XTi camera for my husband for christmas .
    > He has a canon A30 now which came with Zoombrowser . The new camera has
    > a newer version of the same software. My question to those who may know
    > is will the newer version simply overwrite the o;der version or will I
    > need to uninstall the version I now have and then load the new version
    > . I will be doing this as my husband knows nothing about computers.
    > Thanks Fran

    Hi.

    We have 3 Cameras. A Fuji, a Canon and a Nikon.

    We do not have any of their Software on the Computer.

    The Nikon was on for a little while, but soon got removed because it was
    useless. I cannot imagine the Canon is any better, the Cd has never been
    out of its sleeve.

    Just get a card reader and a decent Image Editing Program.

    You will not regret it.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Dec 12, 2006
  10. Philippe Guest

    wrote:
    > Mark B. wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> If I remove the original software from the PC will I still be able to
    >>> download from the smaller digital canon a30 , I think he will still
    >>> want to use it for some quick photos when we travel . will the new
    >>> drivers work for the smaller older camera. or should i leave all the
    >>> files from the original camera in place
    >>>

    >> Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
    >> camera.
    >>
    >> Mark

    > I really do not want to purchase another piece of equipment . I like
    > haveing the photos on my pc . I use my pc to copy the photos to CD also
    > to make DVD slideshows . We also e-mail the photos to friends out of
    > town so I think I need to just work with the PC. It is an option if
    > all else fails. I hope the Manuals may shed some light. Guess I will
    > just need to wait until Christmas morning

    As long as you have the drivers for the older camera, your new software
    should work fine.. If worse comes to worse, you can download the drivers
    from the Canon site.
    :)
    P.
    Philippe, Dec 12, 2006
  11. Dave Cohen Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:

    >>> Yup,
    >>> Start/settings/control panel/Add Remove software.
    >>>
    >>> Select the program and remove it, reboot.
    >>> Restart and install the new software.
    >>> Check its working, 'Bobs your Uncle' !!!

    >> If I remove the original software from the PC will I still be able to
    >> download from the smaller digital canon a30 , I think he will still
    >> want to use it for some quick photos when we travel . will the new
    >> drivers work for the smaller older camera. or should i leave all the
    >> files from the original camera in place
    >>

    > Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
    > camera.
    >
    > Mark

    A card reader is always a good idea, however, using winxp you don't need
    any extra drivers (even though canon supply one). You also do not need
    zoombrowser except for a couple of features like entering the owner name
    into the camera. In the case of higher end models you would need to
    check what and where canon offer raw support.
    If you connect the camera to winxp without having loaded any software,
    the camera and settings wizard will launch. If you elect not to use
    that, the camera will show as a device in windows explorer and list pics
    it finds. If you have loaded zoombrowser, winxp will give options for
    default action. You can still use one of the methods mentioned above.
    I'm pretty sure the later zoombrowser will see the earlier camera.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Dec 12, 2006
  12. Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    <""> wrote:

    > Mark B. wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message

    > > > If I remove the original software from the PC will I still be able to
    > > > download from the smaller digital canon a30 , I think he will still
    > > > want to use it for some quick photos when we travel . will the new
    > > > drivers work for the smaller older camera. or should i leave all the
    > > > files from the original camera in place
    > > >

    > > Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
    > > camera.
    > >
    > > Mark

    > I really do not want to purchase another piece of equipment . I like
    > haveing the photos on my pc . I use my pc to copy the photos to CD also
    > to make DVD slideshows . We also e-mail the photos to friends out of
    > town so I think I need to just work with the PC. It is an option if
    > all else fails. I hope the Manuals may shed some light. Guess I will
    > just need to wait until Christmas morning

    I don't think you quite "got it". :^)

    A card reader isn't really "another piece of equipment" in that it's a
    major, separate device to do anything ON. It's a small computer
    peripheral that merely plugs into your computer (usually through the
    USB port) and allows you to read the memory card (while out of the
    camera) directly, rather than reading it through the camera itself.
    Many of them are "universal", so you can read any of the card formats
    (CF, CF II, XD, SD, etc.). They're only $10-$20 each, normally, so
    it's not a huge "equipment" investment, either.

    They often allow faster access to the images, too - most versions
    nowadays are USB 2.0; many cameras, especially older ones, are still
    USB 1.0 (or 1.1), which is about 1/40th the transfer speed[1].
    You can also still be shooting with the camera while your pictures are
    downloading if you have additional cards. You can also unplug it and
    take it to someone else's computer along with the memory card, without
    having to carry the camera around, so you can show others your photos,
    too.

    [1] _theoretically_ - in fact, the claimed "max" speed ratings rarely
    occur (note the "*up* *to* XXXmbps" in descriptions of specifications).
    Also, most hubs, if you use them with ANY 1.1 devices plugged into them
    [even when they are not operating], slow things back down to a total of
    12Mbps (divided among the devices). Plugging a USB 1.0 devi8ce in
    makes things even slower. Simplistically, this is because of the
    nature of the anti-data-collision checking (all devices attached are
    polled continuously to see if they have any data waiting for transfer,
    and each one can only reply at its native speed). [TIP: if you have
    more than one expterrnal USB device (and who doesn't, nowadays?),
    always have separate hubs for each speed (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) device type to
    avoid this].

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Dec 12, 2006
  13. J. Clarke Guest

    On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:19:53 -0800, Ken Lucke wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > <""> wrote:
    >
    >> Mark B. wrote:
    >> > <> wrote in message

    >> > Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
    >> > camera.
    >> >
    >> > Mark

    >> I really do not want to purchase another piece of equipment . I like
    >> haveing the photos on my pc . I use my pc to copy the photos to CD also
    >> to make DVD slideshows . We also e-mail the photos to friends out of
    >> town so I think I need to just work with the PC. It is an option if
    >> all else fails. I hope the Manuals may shed some light. Guess I will
    >> just need to wait until Christmas morning
    >>

    > I don't think you quite "got it". :^)
    >
    > A card reader isn't really "another piece of equipment" in that it's a
    > major, separate device to do anything ON. It's a small computer
    > peripheral that merely plugs into your computer (usually through the
    > USB port) and allows you to read the memory card (while out of the
    > camera) directly, rather than reading it through the camera itself.
    > Many of them are "universal", so you can read any of the card formats
    > (CF, CF II, XD, SD, etc.). They're only $10-$20 each, normally, so
    > it's not a huge "equipment" investment, either.
    >
    > They often allow faster access to the images, too - most versions
    > nowadays are USB 2.0; many cameras, especially older ones, are still
    > USB 1.0 (or 1.1), which is about 1/40th the transfer speed[1].
    > You can also still be shooting with the camera while your pictures are
    > downloading if you have additional cards. You can also unplug it and
    > take it to someone else's computer along with the memory card, without
    > having to carry the camera around, so you can show others your photos,
    > too.

    FWIW, Mitsumi has one that replaces the diskette drive, and even
    reads diskettes, for 20 bucks.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Dec 12, 2006
  14. Mark B. Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Mark B. wrote:
    >>
    >> Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
    >> camera.
    >>
    >> Mark

    > I really do not want to purchase another piece of equipment . I like
    > haveing the photos on my pc . I use my pc to copy the photos to CD also
    > to make DVD slideshows . We also e-mail the photos to friends out of
    > town so I think I need to just work with the PC. It is an option if
    > all else fails. I hope the Manuals may shed some light. Guess I will
    > just need to wait until Christmas morning

    Consider this: the card reader is very small (roughly the size of a credit
    card and <1/2" thick), and can stay plugged in to the pc. Transfers will be
    faster through the reader than from the camera. You won't be using the
    camera batteries to download. No need to worry about drivers or loading
    extra software, ever. Some might say you can 'wear out' the card or risk
    damaging the pins. Nonsense. I've been using card readers for at least 5
    years, never a bent pin and you'll be upgrading to larger cards looong
    before you ever 'wear' one out.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 13, 2006
  15. Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > Mark B. wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message

    > >> If I remove the original software from the PC will I still be able to
    > >> download from the smaller digital canon a30 , I think he will still
    > >> want to use it for some quick photos when we travel . will the new
    > >> drivers work for the smaller older camera. or should i leave all the
    > >> files from the original camera in place
    > >>

    > > Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
    > > camera.
    > >
    > > Mark
    > >

    > A card reader is always a good idea, however, using winxp you don't need
    > any extra drivers (even though canon supply one). You also do not need
    > zoombrowser except for a couple of features like entering the owner name
    > into the camera. In the case of higher end models you would need to
    > check what and where canon offer raw support.
    > If you connect the camera to winxp without having loaded any software,
    > the camera and settings wizard will launch. If you elect not to use
    > that, the camera will show as a device in windows explorer and list pics
    > it finds. If you have loaded zoombrowser, winxp will give options for
    > default action. You can still use one of the methods mentioned above.
    > I'm pretty sure the later zoombrowser will see the earlier camera.
    > Dave Cohen

    Hi Dave .
    I loaded the EOS utility software and also the updated version of
    Zoombrowser that came with the camera on the pc yesterday . I did not
    need to remove the previous version of Zoombrowser . Everything works
    fine I did a sample transfer but the transfer from camera to PC is a
    little slow with this Camera on My PC. We only have a 1.1 usb port and
    it probably wants 2.0 for more speed. I am considering a card reader
    but need to read up on them for my own satisfaction . I am not too savy
    on this stuff. My DH wants nothing to do with the PC so I am the one
    stuck doing the transfers . I know just enough to get in trouble but
    not enough to get myself out of trouble . I need simple and fast .
    Fran
    , Dec 28, 2006