Canon Rebel XT - Can't get good pictures.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by emrlaw@att.net, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. Philippe Guest

    dwight wrote:
    > "Philippe" <> wrote in message
    >> Frank ess wrote:

    >>> My daughter learned to drive in a '66 Lotus Elan, and she's an
    >>> outstanding road and track driver. But not an outstanding photographer.
    >>>
    >>> What's my point? No point. I'm just saying.
    >>>

    >> *very* cool... My daughter likes the lotus, but prefers Jaguar.. On
    >> X-box, that is..
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >> P.

    > Not that anyone cares, but...
    >
    > I bought my daughter an '88 Mustang convertible with stick (4-cylinder
    > slug), to teach her how to drive "properly." After two fender-benders, we
    > decided to put her in a point-and-shoot car (with automatic). The
    > convertible became my spare, my first ragtop, and later gave way to a '93 GT
    > convertible with auto.
    >
    > My purely fun car is another '93 Mustang 5.0 with stick, which I much prefer
    > over the automatic. Bought that car new in 1993, and it's still with me -
    > hopefully for a long, long time yet. Still, for the daily commute and
    > rush-hour traffic, it's nice to have an automatic at hand.
    >
    > I use my Rebel XT almost exclusively on manual settings. It's automatic
    > exposure seems a bit overblown to me, and I like a darker, more colorful
    > shot. Of course, I've missed a few "opportunities", while fumbling with the
    > settings, but, on the whole, I prefer to shoot on the fly.
    >
    > Daughter has a little Canon SD200, and I doubt she ever ventures beyond
    > AUTO. Even so, she's picked up some nice images that I missed, either
    > because I had the "wrong lens" or messed up the aperture, shutter speed,
    > focus, etc etc etc
    >
    > dwight

    Daughter(s) not old enough to drive yet.. :p Eldest *does* use my old
    G2 though, and tries to stay away from automatic as much as possible..
    She's just starting to play with the manual settings on it and I think
    It's love.. She goes for shots I don't usually try for (more artsy,
    modern) and seems happy with the speed (or, currently, lack thereof) of
    manually setting up the camera to achieve what she wants.

    Younger still using my old Sony with auto-everything.. but I'll corrupt
    her yet.

    :D

    P.

    Philippe, Nov 8, 2006