    Can anybody recommend a good store or airport tax free store that retails
    this product.

    I've assumed that the Rebel is the same model as EOS 300D
    Stuart, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Stuart

    dslr Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > With the Pound so strong against the Dollar at the moment I'm thinking of
    > buying a Canon EOS 300D in Florida, next month.
    > Can anybody recommend a good store or airport tax free store that retails
    > this product.

    Sorry, I'm the wrong side of the pond. Hopefully one our transtlantic
    cousins can pitch in here.

    > I've assumed that the Rebel is the same model as EOS 300D

    It is.

    BTW, don't forget to cost in import duty and VAT - HMCE will be quite
    aware that the Digital Rebel is not a UK model and might be rather keen
    to relieve you of their "cut" upon arrival back in Blighty. Then again
    you might be lucky but forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

    Also, bear in mind potential warranty issues - I have a nasty suspicion
    that the Canon US warranty is not worldwide. Still, it might give a good
    excuse to go back to Florida ;-)

    --
    regards,
    dslr
    dslr, Jan 5, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    dslr <> wrote:

    > BTW, don't forget to cost in import duty and VAT - HMCE will be quite
    > aware that the Digital Rebel is not a UK model and might be rather keen
    > to relieve you of their "cut" upon arrival back in Blighty. Then again
    > you might be lucky but forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

    Just VAT on digital cameras. Duty at 6.7 per cent plus VAT on lenses. No
    idea as to whether the first lens attached to the camera becomes a camera
    and thus avoids the duty. Neither did Customs enquiry line. They had no
    idae digital cameras were now made with detachable lenses.

    Digital camera tarriff ID number 8525401100
    Lens tarriff ID number 9002110090

    I'm thinking of taking a day trip to New York for much the same reason.
    Simon Gardner, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Stuart

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Simon Gardner wrote:

    > I'm thinking of taking a day trip to New York for much
    > the same reason.

    You guys have never heard of mail/internet order? ;-)
    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 6, 2004
  5. In article <7XnKb.5925$>,
    "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote:

    > Simon Gardner wrote:
    >
    > > I'm thinking of taking a day trip to New York for much
    > > the same reason.

    > You guys have never heard of mail/internet order? ;-)

    Sure. But there are Customs benefits in actually going yourself - plus we
    all have loads of air miles to use. Plus you get to check on the stuff
    before buying. And you don't get ripped off by FedEx's extra Customs
    clearing fees.
    Simon Gardner, Jan 6, 2004
  6. "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > With the Pound so strong against the Dollar at the moment I'm thinking of
    > buying a Canon EOS 300D in Florida, next month.
    >
    > Can anybody recommend a good store or airport tax free store that retails
    > this product.
    >
    > I've assumed that the Rebel is the same model as EOS 300D

    You could buy it from an online vendor, and have it shipped to you in
    Florida. You have to be careful about where you buy it. Some photo shops -
    online and in stores - aren't trustworthy. You are safe with B&H:
    www.bhphotovideo.com
    Marvin Margoshes, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Stuart

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Simon Gardner wrote:

    >> You guys have never heard of mail/internet order? ;-)

    > Sure. But there are Customs benefits in actually going yourself -
    > plus we all have loads of air miles to use. Plus you get to check on
    > the stuff before buying. And you don't get ripped off by FedEx's
    > extra Customs clearing fees.

    Well, all these conditions must apply for the buying in situ to
    be a better bargain than mail order:

    1. Lots of air miles to travel for free.
    2. A friend that invites you to eat and sleep at his/her house.
    3. Lots of luck when you go through European customs on your
    way back (if they catch you, not only you will pay custom duties+
    VAT but also a hefty fine.)
    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 7, 2004
  8. In article <LbIKb.6390$>,
    "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote:

    > Simon Gardner wrote:
    >
    > >> You guys have never heard of mail/internet order? ;-)

    > > Sure. But there are Customs benefits in actually going yourself -
    > > plus we all have loads of air miles to use. Plus you get to check on
    > > the stuff before buying. And you don't get ripped off by FedEx's
    > > extra Customs clearing fees.

    > Well, all these conditions must apply for the buying in situ to
    > be a better bargain than mail order:
    >
    > 1. Lots of air miles to travel for free.
    > 2. A friend that invites you to eat and sleep at his/her house.

    Actually, I wasn't planning on that. I was planning on arriving in the
    morning and leaving in the evening.

    > 3. Lots of luck when you go through European customs on your
    > way back (if they catch you, not only you will pay custom duties+
    > VAT but also a hefty fine.)

    I don't know what the **** you are talking about. Digital Cameras do not
    attract duty - just VAT. Lenses attract duty and VAT. I was planning on
    paying both duty and VAT and have included them in my calculations. There
    would still be a substantial saving with the dollar being so incredibly
    weak. But there are allowances and advantages which accrue to you in person
    which don't accrue if you mail-order. I can't imagine what makes you think
    there would be any sort of a fine.

    Avoiding the FedEx rip-off is pure saving.
    Simon Gardner, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Stuart

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Since the Rebel is not discounted on the internet, you can probably get the
    camera at any Ritz store. You could e-mail the web site and ask them if they
    would make sure there is one held for you in a store near where you land.

    www.ritzcamera.com
    Rosita
    HRosita, Jan 7, 2004
  10. Stuart

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Simon Gardner wrote:

    > I can't imagine what makes you think there
    > would be any sort of a fine.

    First-hand experience maybe?
    I was fined in France for illegally "importing" something
    from Japan. I was just *visiting*, I do not reside either in
    France or in any other European country, or else they
    would have even added VAT and custom duties on top
    of that. I doubt the law in Britain is any different.

    > Avoiding the FedEx rip-off is pure saving.

    It depends on how expensive is the air fare.
    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 8, 2004