Canon Rebel 350D/Rebel XT vs Nikon D70

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Siddhartha Jain, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. Ok, someone had to do it. Now go ....

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 18, 2005

  2. "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote:

    > Ok, someone had to do it. Now go ....

    D70: sharp, saturated 6MP images. Spot meter, grid lines on screen.
    350D: 8MP slightly lower noise/slightly less frequent Moiré/slightly more
    neutral color rendition images. Missing those two useful features.
    Otherwise, very very similar. (The 300D -> 350D improvements other than
    pixel count were largely playing catch up.)

    My opinion: I do _not_ think the 350D deserves to be rated as a D70 killer,
    but the extra 2MP (which is pretty much a snore) probably will make it one
    in practice.

    The lighter weight of the 350D makes it more of a viable option for people
    who would normally not look at a dSLR and only consider consumer dcams. (My
    300D drops into my briefcase, even with a custom L bracket (tripod mount)
    attached, so the 350D without a bracket will be seriously portable.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    Siddhartha Jain says...
    > Ok, someone had to do it. Now go ....

    Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Feb 18, 2005
  4. "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Siddhartha Jain says...
    >> Ok, someone had to do it. Now go ....

    > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...

    What about smaller/lighter?

    Dave R knows who, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Siddhartha Jain

    Chuck Guest

    your like 2 days late ...

    Chuck, Feb 18, 2005
  6. Siddhartha Jain

    BG250 Guest

    Is it true Nikon has something going on with a 10MP aps sized sensor? This
    could get interesting.

    I'm not going to upgrade my Rebel for 2 MP improvement even if there are
    more features. As from the test there is virtually nothing gained. Going
    from 6 to 10MP should be a worthwhile improvement. Not sure I'd leave Canon
    for it though. Too many lenses to replace.
    bg

    BG250, Feb 18, 2005
  7. Siddhartha Jain

    M@O Guest

    > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...

    No, isn't so easy!

    M@O, Feb 18, 2005
  8. Siddhartha Jain

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > Siddhartha Jain says...
    > > Ok, someone had to do it. Now go ....

    > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...

    ONLY if it takes better pictures.

    I have a Sony F-717, and a Sony F-828.

    The first is 5mp
    The second is *mp

    The first has only MINIMAL problem with fringing in a photo with strong
    backlighting or a small high contrast are (like sunlight or spotlight
    glinting of the gold/silver on a western saddle)

    The second has a problem with the purple fringing that is MUCH more
    pronounced.... Which one do you think Im going to use if Im shooting those
    circumstances???

    The 5mp gets used MORE when I'm more likely to have backlighting or glinting
    in the picture. I want BETTER pictures, not BIGGER pictures.

    If Im forced to print an 8x10 from the 5mp shot, I would rather do it and NOT
    have the fringing, thank you very much.

    Im not much impressed with the quality of pictures from most of the 8mp
    cameras (non-DSLR) whether I'll be impressed with the ones from a DSLR
    remains to be seen. The sensors are larger, so the picture should have less
    noise.

    What I've seen on-line looks good, but I didn't take them, so I dont know
    (for sure) whats been done to them between camera and website.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Feb 18, 2005
  9. Siddhartha Jain

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > In article <>,
    > > Siddhartha Jain says...
    > > > Ok, someone had to do it. Now go ....

    > > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...
    > >

    > ONLY if it takes better pictures.
    >
    > I have a Sony F-717, and a Sony F-828.
    >
    > The first is 5mp
    > The second is *mp

    That was SUPPOSED to be 8mp

    Larry, Feb 18, 2005
  10. Chuck wrote:
    > your like 2 days late ...

    I think he's looking for an informed comparison of the two (not just by
    the numbers), which I'd also like to see as I'm planning to make a
    purchase fairly soon.

    Randy. (who's still leaning toward the D70)

    Randy W. Sims, Feb 18, 2005
  11. Siddhartha Jain

    Sheldon Guest

    "Randy W. Sims" <> wrote in message
    > Chuck wrote:
    >> your like 2 days late ...

    > I think he's looking for an informed comparison of the two (not just by
    > the numbers), which I'd also like to see as I'm planning to make a
    > purchase fairly soon.
    >
    > Randy. (who's still leaning toward the D70)

    Well, let's put it this way: You wouldn't be making a mistake buying the
    D70, especially with all the rebates right now.

    Sheldon, Feb 18, 2005
  12. Siddhartha Jain

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > "Randy W. Sims" <> wrote in message
    > > Chuck wrote:
    > >> your like 2 days late ...

    > > I think he's looking for an informed comparison of the two (not just by
    > > the numbers), which I'd also like to see as I'm planning to make a
    > > purchase fairly soon.
    > >
    > > Randy. (who's still leaning toward the D70)

    > Well, let's put it this way: You wouldn't be making a mistake buying the
    > D70, especially with all the rebates right now.

    I used a buddy's D70 for a weekend, and except for some moire on a couple of
    shots of a girl in a corduroy suit, I loved every shot I took.

    Its past being a good camera and almost into being a great camera, the only
    holdback being that one little problem.

    I just inherited a suitcase full of Canon glass (nobody died, it was given to
    me) and most of the lenses can be used in the Rebel or the New Rebel, so
    thats what has kept me from buy a D70.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Feb 18, 2005
  13. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:25:10 GMT, "M@O" <> wrote:

    >> Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...

    >No, isn't so easy!

    I think Alfred forgot the smiley there...

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    Christopher Pollard, Feb 19, 2005
  14. In article <>, Larry
    <> wrote:

    > I used a buddy's D70 for a weekend, and except for some moire on a couple of
    > shots of a girl in a corduroy suit, I loved every shot I took.
    >
    > Its past being a good camera and almost into being a great camera, the only
    > holdback being that one little problem.
    >
    > I just inherited a suitcase full of Canon glass (nobody died, it was given to
    > me) and most of the lenses can be used in the Rebel or the New Rebel, so
    > thats what has kept me from buy a D70.

    eBay is your pla...

    Steve Cutchen, Feb 19, 2005
  15. Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Siddhartha Jain says...
    >
    >>Ok, someone had to do it. Now go ....

    > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...

    I wouldn't get too excited about the difference in the sensor
    resolution between the D70 and the 350D. You really shouldn't become
    fixated on megapixels because there are a lot of other considerations
    to be made in the selection of a digital SLR. Actual image quality is
    one, but there are other functionality issues as well. Obviously it's
    too early for image quality comparisons, so look at the functionality
    issues for now:

    Functionally, the 350D has a few advantages:

    1. True USB 2.0 interface.
    2. Available vertical grip.
    3. Mirror lock-up.
    4. EF-s lenses, especially the EF-s 10-22, for which Nikon does not
    yet
    have something similar.

    The D70 has spot metering, which the EOS-350D doesn't have.

    Function-wise, the 350D is high-end consumer/low-end prosumer. I think
    that Canon may keep the 300D and drop the price, so they can have a
    very low-priced, "entry-level" D-SLR.

    Personally, I would not buy an SLR with no vertical grip, I just like
    vertical grips a lot. But the D70 does have an aftermarket vertical
    grip available, which is sufficient, if a bit of a kludge with
    connections via cables since the D70 has no connector for a grip.

    It looks like a shakeout is already occuring in digital SLRs, with
    everyone but Canon and Nikon becoming low-volume niche players.

    I think that Nikon will soon introduce three new digital SLRs (model
    numbers made up):

    D80. High-end consumer. Upgrade to the D70, with an 8 megapixel CMOS
    sensor, and mirror lock-up.

    D200. Prosumer. Answer to the 20D, with higher frame rate, 8 megapixel
    CMOS sensor, mirror lock-up and vertical grip. The D100 is obsolete.

    D3x. Full frame CMOS sensor. Answer to the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II.

    Now that Nikon apparently is able to do a CMOS sensor, they will
    leverage this as soon as possible to go up against Canon in all
    segments.

    Steven Scharf, Feb 19, 2005
  16. Siddhartha Jain

    Swriter33 Guest

    My D70 has mirror lock up... Am I missing something? I used it to
    clean the ccd.

    Swriter33, Feb 19, 2005
  17. On 18 Feb 2005 22:29:43 -0800, "Swriter33" <> wrote:

    >My D70 has mirror lock up... Am I missing something? I used it to
    >clean the ccd.

    Yeah. You're missing the idea that it would be nice to have mirror lock up for
    taking photos. The idea is, to flip up the mirror, and allow time for the
    resultant vibrations to die down before opening the shutter.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    Christopher Pollard, Feb 19, 2005
  18. Siddhartha Jain

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Steven
    Scharf says...
    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Siddhartha Jain says...
    > >
    > >>Ok, someone had to do it. Now go ....

    > > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...

    > I wouldn't get too excited about the difference in the sensor
    > resolution between the D70 and the 350D. You really shouldn't become
    > fixated on megapixels because there are a lot of other considerations
    > to be made in the selection of a digital SLR.

    Unless you need the extra resolution. I wouldn't mind buying a 14 or
    22MP camera if the price was not too high. As for image quality, I'd
    guess the new 350 will produce images with (at the very least) good
    enough quality.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Feb 19, 2005
  19. Siddhartha Jain

    Scharf-DCA Guest

    Swriter33 wrote:
    > My D70 has mirror lock up... Am I missing something?

    Yes. Every digital SLR has mirror lock-up for cleaning the sensor. The
    D70 doesn't have mirror lock-up for actually taking photos.

    Scharf-DCA, Feb 19, 2005
  20. Christopher Pollard wrote:
    > On 18 Feb 2005 22:29:43 -0800, "Swriter33" <> wrote:
    >

    >>My D70 has mirror lock up... Am I missing something? I used it to
    >>clean the ccd.

    > Yeah. You're missing the idea that it would be nice to have mirror lock up for
    > taking photos. The idea is, to flip up the mirror, and allow time for the
    > resultant vibrations to die down before opening the shutter.

    Where is this critical? I was under the impression it was used only in
    slow shutter situations, on a tripod.

    Has not the mirror pop up and back improved over the years?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Feb 19, 2005